Help finding quality power supply for HA540
Aug 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MoeTheMammoth

New Head-Fier
Hello, I cant seem to find much info on the website about this amp. What I'm looking for is a high quality power supply to replace the stock one that came with it, however the only power supply I've found that matches the specs is this >http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=7443140#tab=Overview<. I just wanted to check with the community before I purchase and make sure that I will not be damaging my amp. The stock amp power supply reads 15vdc = o.2A and the manufacture's website reads 15vdc - 700mA. Thanks in advance for any help

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Sorry, it will explode/start on fire
eek.gif

That is not a suitable power supply. First of all, the manuf. shows a spec of +15V @700mA. An amp will only draw what current it requires, so it is OK to go higher in current output capability. The supply you linked to is:
  • A dual supply (+/- 15Vdc)
  • Too low in current output (0.2A, or 200mA per rail)
  • And to answer your follow-on question, yes you would have to case it, build a cable terminating in a sleeve-negative 2.1 or 2.5mm power jack (they don't state what it takes). And work somewhat with line AC voltage.

But let's back up a second. What makes you think the stock PSU isn't adequate?

If you really want to go upscale, build an Amb sigma11 set for 15V output. Way overkill, exposes you to working with line voltage, etc. Also way good. Will it make a difference? Dunno, but I am a believer in using really good PSUs. And then ignoring the aftermarket power cords and other foo-foo.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 6
alrighty then, that shows my depth of skill in electronics haha. Now back one second, I thought the idea behind having regulated power supplies was that they keep the current going into the equipment at a constant rate to keep the small fluctuations of a standard houses power grid from affecting the performance of the amp, therefore creating a more accurate signal for the headphones to produce which =  better sound. At least that was how I understood what i've read so far.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 6
^ No. Regulated supplies attempt to keep the voltage output at the design value regardless of the current being drawn, within the design limits of the PSU, and also with varying input voltage, like your AC line voltage. Unregulated supplies may be higher than their rated voltage output when loaded lightly, dropping to the design voltage when loaded at their intended nominal current output.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 6
alright well thanks for the clarification, but is the improvement in your expierience audible or is it simply to decrease wear on the electronics. Also Im completely new to DIY electronics, and I dont want my first learning experience to be burning down my house/ electrocuting myself with ac current haha. so are there any pre made psu's that would be suitable for the h540

Users who are viewing this thread

Back