Help: fake/non fake IE7?
Apr 2, 2011 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TrantaLocked

100+ Head-Fier
I got my IE7s for $169.99 from adorama through ebay (adorama.com is an authorized sennheiser dealer on their list)
Everything seems ok when compared to the IE8 pictures here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/457420/warning-fake-ie8s-comparison-pictures-included but I'm not sure if my front pictures are "raised" as much as the legit box. They seem raised but I don't have another proven box to compare. The metal case box has the right logo with correct separation and the bar code starts before the R but this seems ok since the poster said some real Sennheiser packages have both before and after. The "open here" yellow bar seems thicker vertical wise than the fake but a tiny bit thinner than the real, but same darker yellow color. Hopefully just the difference between the IE7 and IE8 (legitimate packages).

I just don't get some thing though. I'm posting because the sound sig is exactly the same as my CX 300s and the sound stage seems almost the same and slightly more in some songs. I am 5-6 hours burned in, but is it true that these sound exactly the same plus a tiny bit of sound stage as my CX 300s? I guess getting the same sennheiser signature as my CX 300s is the first step to determining whether these are real or fake. I hate not to trust a retailer trusted by sennhesier too. 

To test the sound similarity I put both headphones through my splitter to my zune HD: CX in left ear, IE7 in right, and I could not tell the difference. It felt like I was using one pair of headphones.

Back to the burn in thing. I know they need more burn in, but out of the box shouldn't these absolutely put the CX 300s to disgrace? Or maybe I suck at hearing the differences well. If that ends up being the case my wallet will be very happy in the future.

...one last thought: Adorama, according to reviews and forums, is an extremely trusted U.S. website.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 2
Listening to "secret" by Maroon 5 on both headphones I think I am hearing a clear difference now. I think the main things are IE7s more airyness and just more clear and natural sounding instruments/vocals over all.

Sorry for over reacting :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back