Help ease my pain...
Oct 25, 2002 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bobby C

Head-Fier
Yesterday I had arthroscopic knee surgery and I was looking forward to it in order to clear our some torn cartilage and also to give me some quiet time to listen to some tunes. I also wanted to give a closer listen to my new JMT META42, so far I had loved it with my big rig (Goldmund CDP, DH Labs Interconnects, Etyomotic ER-4Ps or Senns HD580), but since I’d be in bed, I wanted to run it with my portable rig.

While the bottle of pain killers took care of my knee, I need help with the pain caused by my PCDP. My set up is a Panasonic SL-S255C, Twisted Pair Mini-RCA, the META & the Senns HD580s. Can anyone recommend a decent PCDP? I used the current one traveling & it didn’t bother me as much, but with the dedicated listening I’ve been doing, its flaws are very apparent.

Here’s what I’m looking for:
•Decent battery life (5-10 hr., minimum)
•Line out
•Most importantly, good sound

I realize that a PCDP is never going to replace my home rig, but something has to be better. I’ve seen some great reviews for older players (the Optimus 3400 comes to mind), but they seem hard to find. Any newer models come close? Or any source for some of these old tanks?

Now where is that good looking nurse with my medication?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 3
The only players that I have had experience with are:
  1. Sony D25s - great sound, heavy, uses a proprietary battery that is expensive and has a short life.
  2. Pana SL-CT470 and 570 - both are pretty good. I prefer the 570, build quality and materials seem sturdier.
There is much talk about the different Sonys, both new and old, good and bad in the Portables Forum. In fact, I will move this thread there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 3
I've been using a Sony D-EJ915. The line out sounds incredible, better than any other CD player I've heard (I like it better than the sound of the Panasonic 570. Never heard the classic Sonys). It gets great battery life, and it's very small and looks cool.

I've got an extraone that I'm looking to sell. I think it would fit what you're looking for. You can check my ad under the For Sale/Trade forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back