Help! Do I need anything special?
Mar 23, 2009 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
Hey - I have a little ol' Macbook and was just wondering if there would be anything special I would need to get appropriate sounding sound out of my computer?

I have a headphone amp, I have "nice" headphones, and I could get a USB->Amp cord easily, but will the fact that my Macbook is powering the lossless audio be a problem?

I know people seem to like getting a good soundcard and everything, but I don't know, the Macbook has a generic "Intel HD Audio" soundcard with Realtek drivers.

Is there going to be a difference listening to a FLAC out of the Macbook VS iPod Touch?

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Yeah what I have sounds good - But I'm having the issue of little to no space on my iPod! 16GB just doesn't hold a lot of lossless audio, and I'm just trying to see if I'll get very similar sound if I go out through my Macbook to the headphone amp. The only change in my audio chain would be the iPod to the Macbook, and the iPod->Amp cable vs the Macbook->Amp cable.

I think I'll have to deal with having to do serious playlist swapping on my iPod depending on my mood. I wouldn't mind that so much really.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 7
The headphone jack of apple laptops actually double as a mini toslink port. I recommend that you get a mini-toslink to toslink cable so your setup becomes:

Macbook -> mini-toslink cable -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphones

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Haters_gonna_hate.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExplosiveDuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey - I have a little ol' Macbook and was just wondering if there would be anything special I would need to get appropriate sounding sound out of my computer?

I have a headphone amp, I have "nice" headphones, and I could get a USB->Amp cord easily, but will the fact that my Macbook is powering the lossless audio be a problem?

I know people seem to like getting a good soundcard and everything, but I don't know, the Macbook has a generic "Intel HD Audio" soundcard with Realtek drivers.

Is there going to be a difference listening to a FLAC out of the Macbook VS iPod Touch?

Thanks!

Hige difference with something like the Pico Dac. Or a nice dac in general. USB, Optical, Coax, it makes no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back