help deciding on entry IEMs
Dec 26, 2007 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nowyoucanlaugh

New Head-Fier
So, my MylarOne X3s got totaled the other day, and I'm stuck with having to buy some new IEMs. Sorry to start up yet another recommendation thread...but I'm having a tough time deciding.

My priorities are clarity, price, and isolation. I'm by no means a bass head, and really require isolation in most of my listening environments. I'll be driving them with my Cowon D2 and possibly the A2 if I feel like lugging it around. Un-amped for now, may get a chu moy or something similar later.

I've decided that I'm going to splurge.
I'm thinking either I'll get both the SF3s and the im716s, or I'll get the UM1s. Both totals end up at 110 + shipping. I figure that the UM1s are probably the best overall for me, with the comfort and isolation and good cables, but also that getting to try out UE and Ety-like sound would be good. Not to mention that having two (one with detachable cables) decreases the chance of me needing to make another purchase for a long while. Either that, or I splurge a bit more and go for SF5Ps, but I don't really want to spend the extra 30 (poor student here). Ideas?

As far as budget, I'd prefer to stay under 120, but will be willing to spend a bit more if people have other ideas. At the moment, I've sort of limited it down to the following:
MylarOne X3is (might be able to snag some rubies)
Shure E2C-ns
UE Super.fi 3s
Ety ER-6is
Westone UM1s

I'll probably be using foams with any of the above, as I have slightly strangely shaped ear canals. As far as listening habits; I listen to everything from acoustic guitar to metal, but generally tend to stay in the indie rock genre. Any suggestions will be well appreciated.

EDIT: List update
Super.Fi 3s, UM1s, im716s, ER-6is. (see below for why)

Dec 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 24
In that list, I'd suggest the X3is. But I also have to recommend a pair of Creative EP630s. I still think of it as one of my best purchases ever.

If you're willing to stretch your budget, then I'd suggest the Altec Lansing im716. Although I haven't heard them much, they get a lot of good reviews here.

Dec 26, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 24
For under $100 I would suggest these:

The Denon AH-C700 are fantastic. They are on a huge sale at Amazon for $99.99 shipped (usually $200):

Denon AH-C700

The UE Super.fi 3's are great for IEM all around. They are bulky and have to be worn over the ear. $59.99 shipped

UE Super.fi 3

The UE Metro.fi 2's are great for bass heavy rock. They are not bulky like the Super.fi series and do not go over the ear. $49.99 shipped

UE Metro.fi 2

The Crossroads MylarOne X3i are great too. The build quality is not "super" strong like the three above, but they are much better then the V-Moda. $57 shipped

Jaben.net

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that list, I'd suggest the X3is. But I also have to recommend a pair of Creative EP630s. I still think of it as one of my best purchases ever. If you're willing to stretch your budget, then I'd suggest the Altec Lansing im716. Although I haven't heard them much, they get a lot of good reviews here.

Well, I'm just afraid of the X3i build quality after what happened to the other. Slight strain on the cabling...and the wiring inside the housing got ripped from the contacts. As far as EP630s, I've had CX300s in the past and don't really like the sound all too much. I'm not really sure why I've ignored the im716s before, they look promising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon AH-C700 are fantastic. They are on a huge sale at Amazon for $99.99 shipped (usually $200)
The UE Metro.fi 2's are great for bass heavy rock. They are not bulky like the Super.fi series and do not go over the ear. $49.99 shipped

I'm just wondering if the Denons will fit any foamies...otherwise I'm probably going to stay shy of them because of my strangely shaped ear canals. The MDR-EX71s didn't fit me well, and it looks like they have the same tips. I think the mf2s will be too bass heavy for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not mistaken, the SF5 Pro are less than $150. You might consider those. They are dual armature IEMs and offer a strong bass coupled with clear highs. I really enjoy them a lot.

Yeah, they're down to 140. I've tried out the SF5Pro EB and the bass was FARRRRR too overpowering for me. How much difference is their between the bass responses of the two? Right now, heres the list. I've eliminated the E2C-ns, as I tried out my friends E2Cs and decided that I liked my X3s better (could just be adoration for them, but eliminating options never hurts).

ER-6i, im716, SF3, X3i, AH-C700K, UM1

Sorry for being so indecisive; I really just wish I could go and try some of these out >_<

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nowyoucanlaugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much difference is their between the bass responses of the two?

I have not heard both, but from responses on this board I believe that the EB version has far more bass than the Pro. Also, this comparison graph should help you out some.

graphCompare.php

Personally, I never feel that the SF5 Pro's bass is too much for me, I find it to be a perfect balance of power and quality, in great harmony with the treble on the SF5 Pro. Look around the forum, many people have and recommend the SF5 Pro, myself included.

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I never feel that the SF5 Pro's bass is too much for me, I find it to be a perfect balance of power and quality, in great harmony with the treble on the SF5 Pro. Look around the forum, many people have and recommend the SF5 Pro, myself included.

Ugh, I really don't want to spend 140. I'm going to be buying an XBOX 360, and am low on funds as it is. Due to the fact that nearly everybody has had a ton of difficulty getting foamies onto the Denons, and the fact that they most likely won't fit my ears well, also eliminating them.

I was wondering if anybody could give me details about the microphonics on the im716s and ER6is; the microphonics on my X3s were slightly annoying at times, and if the above have much worse problems, then I'll have to eliminate them too. I've also eliminated the X3is as a choice, in hopes that I might get a a replacement from Wilson@Jaben for a menial price, and because I want to try out other 'phones.

So right now the list is: Super.Fi 3s, UM1s, im716s, ER-6is.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using all of them except X3is and best isolation provide ER6is. Also, they have the best clarity. For rock music, however, UM1s are the winner.

x2!

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 24
If you can go to the Frys Outpost (frys.com or outpost.com), and look up for these "Harman Kardon EP720, EP710, or EP730", you can get reasonable earphones for $80 or less.

EP730: Dual-Phase, 90% Accuracy at High Fidelity, 81% at Bass Mode but louder
EP720: 81% Accuracy
EP710: 82% Accuracy

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vesther /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can go to the Frys Outpost (frys.com or outpost.com), and look up for these "Harman Kardon EP720, EP710, or EP730", you can get reasonable earphones for $80 or less.

EP730: Dual-Phase, 90% Accuracy at High Fidelity, 81% at Bass Mode but louder
EP720: 81% Accuracy
EP710: 82% Accuracy

All the reviews of these I've read say that they sound a lot worse than the im716s, and the im716s are in a similar price range nowadays anyways.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 24
Sorry to bump/double post and all, but I've decided that I'm going to splurge.

I'm thinking either I'll get both the SF3s and the im716s, or I'll get the UM1s. Both totals end up at 110 + shipping. I figure that the UM1s are probably the best overall for me, with the comfort and isolation and good cables, but also that getting to try out UE and Ety-like sound would be good. Not to mention that having two (one with detachable cables) decreases the chance of me needing to make another purchase for a long while. Either that, or I splurge a bit more and go for SF5Ps, but I don't really want to spend the extra 30 (poor student here). Ideas?

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rroossinck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fairly happy with my pair of SuFi Live IEMs from Radio Shack. For $42 out the door, it's hard to go wrong.

I'm going to assume you mean the Super.fi 3s...never heard them called SuFi, nor have I seen them being advertised as "Live Pro"...on the UE website, they're called "Super.fi 3 Studio."

If its legit, thats a rather good deal... 50 dollar in store pickup only... RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Headphones: Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Live Pro Grade Earbuds

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 24
You should considder if you buy the Super fi3 you will buy the SF5 in the next couple of months... The difference between the single and the dual drivers is huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back