Help Deciding? Metro.fi X or Super.fi 3?
Nov 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

magikalfly

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I've suddenly developed an itch for higher quality earphones. It seems there's a whole new world to this. I had no idea that there were such dedicated fans and such a range of products.

I've done some basic research and considering this will be my first "high-end" earphone, IEM, purchase, I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices.

The Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2 or 100, 150, or 200.

I've read good things about the 2 but also read that the three digit series is newer? I've read a user review on Amazon saying the 200 was a lacking in the low end which I think is contrary to what most people say about the 2?

I've also looked at the Super.fi 3. I've read that obviously, metro<super<triple. The price difference isn't that much while it remains relatively affordable.

I'd like good sound reproduction along with good bass. I'm not a SUPER bass nut but I do like some punch in the low end.

So what would yall recommend? Metro or Super? Which has better bass? If Metro, which metro?

Thanks and I appreciate all the help.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 5
If you like bass then I would not go for the super.f3. Mids are great but they are lacking in bass and highs. I use mine with the bass boost on my amp turned on most of the time.
Other then that I think they are a great value.
I would recommend you try them and then decide.
You could also have a look at some other entry-level phones like v-moda, klipsch, shure a.s.o.

Greetings

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 5
If you're interested in the Super.fi 3's, you can also look at the Altec Lansing UHP336's. The conventional wisdom here is that the UHP336's are slightly modified (vented to enhance bass) Super.fi 3's.

If you search carefully, you can find UHP336's for < $50
Buy.com has them today for $39.99 / free shipping.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Sf3's are a better headphone than the metro fi's ( metro fi 200 is best). I found them a little dull but well-balanced. Another phone in that price range that is very good is the Denon c551. All of them have good bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back