Help deciding if I should purchase Sennheiser IE800's. Current IEM's are W4, X10, XBA3 and Triple-Fi Customs
Nov 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kenchar

100+ Head-Fier
Please help, talk me down off this ledge or just tell me to jump.

I can currently purchase new IE800 for $640.  I did listen to them at CES but that is with a great recording and their wonderful amps so of course they sounded great.  Since then I have wanted to purchase them but they are very expensive for me.

My current IEM's are the W4, X10, XBA3 and Triple Fi Customs.

I listen to the X10 the most since they are so comfortable and great for watching stuff on the ipad.  When I want to seriously listen to music I switch to the W4.  My main source is the X3 and previous to that was a Cowon D3 with the Alpen DAC/AMP and a custom digital cable.  (I like the sound because of the custom EQ offered but didn't like that it was two pieces of equipment.)

The XBA3 haven't seen use in over a year and the Triple Fi Customs are used only when I need the most sound isolation.  They are not the most comfortable even thought they are customs since they are so big.

As for sound I always find myself wanting more.  A little more bass, (deeper and lower) better soundstage, less sibilance.  My memory of the IE800 was that it did all that.

My first question is there an IEM that I am missing.  One that might give me all that but at a lower price.

My thoughts for paying for the IE800 are to sell the W4 for $225.00, the XBA3 for $80, and I have a brand new set of X11i that I would hope to get $250 for.  Are my prices realistic?

Are the IE800 going to sound that much better than the W4 and the X10.  I considered the Sure 8 series but they are just too much money.  Also, from what I read the IE80 would not be that much of step up to what I have.

Finally.  A suggestion for a really comfortable IEM for listening to movies and tv shows on my ipad that is not that expensive.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken.

Well..the decision was made for me.  Coupon code died so no IE800 for me. :)  (At least not today)

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 3
  Please help, talk me down off this ledge or just tell me to jump.

I can currently purchase new IE800 for $640.  I did listen to them at CES but that is with a great recording and their wonderful amps so of course they sounded great.  Since then I have wanted to purchase them but they are very expensive for me.

My current IEM's are the W4, X10, XBA3 and Triple Fi Customs.

I listen to the X10 the most since they are so comfortable and great for watching stuff on the ipad.  When I want to seriously listen to music I switch to the W4.  My main source is the X3 and previous to that was a Cowon D3 with the Alpen DAC/AMP and a custom digital cable.  (I like the sound because of the custom EQ offered but didn't like that it was two pieces of equipment.)

The XBA3 haven't seen use in over a year and the Triple Fi Customs are used only when I need the most sound isolation.  They are not the most comfortable even thought they are customs since they are so big.

As for sound I always find myself wanting more.  A little more bass, (deeper and lower) better soundstage, less sibilance.  My memory of the IE800 was that it did all that.

My first question is there an IEM that I am missing.  One that might give me all that but at a lower price.

My thoughts for paying for the IE800 are to sell the W4 for $225.00, the XBA3 for $80, and I have a brand new set of X11i that I would hope to get $250 for.  Are my prices realistic?

Are the IE800 going to sound that much better than the W4 and the X10.  I considered the Sure 8 series but they are just too much money.  Also, from what I read the IE80 would not be that much of step up to what I have.

Finally.  A suggestion for a really comfortable IEM for listening to movies and tv shows on my ipad that is not that expensive.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken.

Well..the decision was made for me.  Coupon code died so no IE800 for me. :)  (At least not today)

If you want quality and convincing bass, you should consider the SE846. Its performance in the lows are the best I've heard. You should be able to nab them for $700 at Unique Squared via the make an offer option. I've checked with Shure and they've confirmed that they are an authorized dealer, so you won't have to worry about warranty issues. http://www.uniquesquared.com/shure-se846-sound-isolating-clear-headphones.html

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply.  I actually ended up ordering a set of IE800's from Music Direct for $540.  Would like to try the SE846 but even at $700 they are over what I can afford.  I appreciate the info about uniqesquared.com as well.

Ken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back