Help decide on a closed set of cans
Mar 25, 2006 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

office_guy

New Head-Fier
I'm new but have been reading for several days to try to find some headphones for my office at work.

Listen to:
- Mostly
- alternative rock
- rock
- talk radio
- Sometimes
- rap
- top 40

Cost requirements:
- None really, since I will be using them on a daily basis I dont mind spending extra to get something nice (< $700)

Other requirements:
- Must be quite due to office cube work environment
- Will be running off a XM portable radio
- Must be comfortable, I work long days and plan to have them on for a while
- Isolation is important but not at the cost of comfort

Cans I have listened to so far:
- I haven't been able to find any local retailers of any high end stereo equipment in my area so I haven't been able to listen to much first hand (Hampton Roads, VA)
- Bose Triport, like how they felt and how isolated they were... I thought they sounded pretty good but have never listened to a good set of cans before though.

The cans that I am interested in so far are:
- AT A900
- Ultrasone HFI 650
- Ultrasone Proline 750
- Senns 280 Pro
- AKG 271 Studio

I noticed that all of these cans are old > 2 yrs... are there not any good cans on the market that have been released on the last 6 months? Just surprised they don’t get updated very often.

Thanks a lot, you have a great site here...

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by office_guy
I'm new but have been reading for several days to try to find some headphones for my office at work.

Listen to:
- Mostly
- alternative rock
- rock
- talk radio
- Sometimes
- rap
- top 40

Cost requirements:
- None really, since I will be using them on a daily basis I dont mind spending extra to get something nice (< $700)

Other requirements:
- Must be quite due to office cube work environment
- Must be comfortable, I work long days and plan to have them on for a while
- Isolation is important but not at the cost of comfort

Cans I have listened to so far:
- I haven't been able to find any local retailers of any high end stereo equipment in my area so I haven't been able to listen to much first hand (Hampton Roads, VA)
- Bose Triport, like how they felt and how isolated they were... I thought they sounded pretty good but have never listened to a good set of cans before though.

The cans that I am interested in so far are:
- AT A900
- Ultrasone HFI 650
- Ultrasone Proline 750
- Senns 280 Pro
- AKG 271 Studio

I noticed that all of these cans are old > 2 yrs... are there not any good cans on the market that have been released on the last 6 months? Just surprised they don’t get updated very often.

Thanks a lot, you have a great site here...

Ummm.......... Latest closed cans..... Must be good sounding..... And price is not a problem.

Audio Technica ATH-A900LTD / ATH-W1000 / ATH-W5000
Beyerdynamics DT770 / 2006 model / 32 ohms.

But they are huge size.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 16
I would strongly recommend a closed can in the Audio-Technica series or the Beyerdynamic DT770 as well.

The headphones in the A-T series are more balanced than the DT770. If you can land your hands on a ATH-A900LTD (Limited Edition), go for it. Reviews have been quite positive. The ATH-A1000 isn't much of an upgrade over the ATH-A900, so if you're trying to decide between the two, go with the A900.

If you love bass, get the DT770. It has a very powerful punch. Great for movies as well. You'll probably need a headphone amplifier. Since money isn't an issue, be sure to get a nice headphone amplifier to go along with it. Check out the amplifier section of the forums for suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Note that the headphones in the Audio-Technica series don't really need amplifiers to sound good. It wouldn't hurt get one though.

Oh! If you can find a Sony CD3000, consider it as well. They aren't made anymore, but they're one of the nicest closed cans out there.

- The Ultrasones are lack in sonic balance in my opinion. I think many people agree they're not the best for many types of music.
- The Sennheiser 280 Pro is a nice headphone, but it's very flat. Not very enjoyable to groove to.
- The AKG 271 is a great headphone for the price, but its bass is somewhat lacking. I used to own one and it didn't work too well with rock.

Things to avoid: Sony Closed Headphones other than the CD3000 and Bose.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the fast reply's...

Forgot to mention that I am suffering though a pair of Sony MDR-V150, those things suck and are uncomfortable...

The A900LTD looks really nice, but cant find them to purchase anywhere... Google even has very little information on them....

W1000/W5000 dont know how I feel about the wood... I would think that plastic would be a better material (better sealing, more durable, better isolation) but this might be a lack of knowledge on the subject...

I had a nice car system when I was in college and the speakers had a constant and max wattage they accepted, but with headphones there is only a max... besides reviews and Impedance (I dont think would be the ideal way to tell if your device could power the cans) you really dont know how to match them up... Why are headphones so different than any other speakers...

I do like bass but think the DT770 would be to bassy for cover everything I lissen too...

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 16
I just got an A900LTD from the for sale section here. Probably your only chance for an A900LTD would be if somebody posted one in the for sale section.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the fast reply's...

Forgot to mention that I am suffering though a pair of Sony MDR-V150, those things suck and are uncomfortable...

The A900LTD looks really nice, but cant find them to purchase anywhere... Google even has very little information on them....

W1000/W5000 dont know how I feel about the wood... I would think that plastic would be a better material (better sealing, more durable, better isolation) but this might be a lack of knowledge on the subject...

I had a nice car system when I was in college and the speakers had a constant and max wattage they accepted, but with headphones there is only a max... besides reviews and Impedance (I dont think would be the ideal way to tell if your device could power the cans) you really dont know how to match them up... Why are headphones so different than any other speakers...

I do like bass but think the DT770 would be to bassy for cover everything I lissen too...

Don't feel bad, But I was just laughing that you are also infected by Sony's low end phones as I was before.
icon10.gif

I had XD100 and then XD300. I had same thoughts like you have that why headphones can't produce like speakers.

But now I have A900LTD. You'll just forget all complaints regarding headphones when you buy any audiophile grade headphones like mentioned before. For my side I can assure for A900LTD. Your cars good system will now face serious competition.

Only one thing headphones can't do is shaking your whole body while they can shake your head well.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Don't feel bad, But I was just laughing that you are also infected by Sony's low end phones as I was before.
icon10.gif

I had XD100 and then XD300. I had same thoughts like you have that why headphones can't produce like speakers.

But now I have A900LTD. You'll just forget all complaints regarding headphones when you buy any audiophile grade headphones like mentioned before. For my side I can assure for A900LTD. Your cars good system will now face serious competition.

Only one thing headphones can't do is shaking your whole body while they can shake your head well.

After I started reading reviews on good headphones, I went back and tried to find some on the v150's and the people said they were good/decent... THen I knew that "v150 good" does not equal "audiophile grade good"... The whole benchmark thing has been the hardest part of picking my first pair of audiophile grade cans...

So I like what I'm reading about the A900LTD (comfort, sound, bass) sounds like the second release of the A1000's.... is the A900LTD on the same level as the W1000's? on comfort, sound quality, bass? They look to be at about the same price level (+/- $100)... Which one would you all pick?

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

After I started reading reviews on good headphones, I went back and tried to find some on the v150's and the people said they were good/decent... THen I knew that "v150 good" does not equal "audiophile grade good"... The whole benchmark thing has been the hardest part of picking my first pair of audiophile grade cans...

So I like what I'm reading about the A900LTD (comfort, sound, bass) sounds like the second release of the A1000's.... is the A900LTD on the same level as the W1000's? on comfort, sound quality, bass? They look to be at about the same price level (+/- $100)... Which one would you all pick?

AFA i know, W1000 more geared towards highs while A900LTD towards lows.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Strike Bose from your thoughts.

Get hold of some A900LTDs, they are pretty damn huge!

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm voting for the AKG K81DJ...at $70 a wonderful can! Just spent some time spreading the love last night and have evangelized 2 people into buying them. Isolating (though not freakishly so), lightweight, comfy, great soundstage, clarity, etc. etc. etc. Somewhere around here is "the official K81DJ thread" where you could get more impressions. I listen to mostly the same type of stuff you do, and use them for movies as well, and they perform very well all around.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

In this case it would be serious overkill to spend $700 - maybe AKG K81DJ would fit the bill. I am considering them myself for my cube-dwelling cans.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 16
Most importantly, whatever you decide on you just GOT to audition your top candidates before buying. I was extremely surprised of some of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back