help choosing sony player
Jul 6, 2008 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

1nf1n1tygame

Head-Fier
hi, i just got me a SE530, now all i need is a good portable player.
after looking on the forum for a bit, it seemed everybody is liking the D2, when i looked at the first picture i thought: man thats a ugly machine. i'm not gonna walk around with that sticking out of my pocket.

so my attention went to sony, they look absolutely cool and seem to sound very good. only thing is the price...
so i was thinking about the A820, any good?
i would love to have the a829 but i just can't afford it..

so what i want in a player:
great SQ ofcource
i would really like video playback but if there's some great deal some were without video playback i'll take it.
nice interface wich allows me to browse my music easily.
8+GB of memory(more is better in case of video playback)
flac playback is not that necessary for me, i'm just gonna encode in a high bitrate.

so did i overlook some great player somewere? or what sony player would you recommend?
thanks

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 19
i have had the d2, meizu, ipod nano, sony 615 and a828. they are all good for certain things. the meizu for an unstrained sound and more natural equalisation. the d2 for a decent battery life and low hiss. the nano for the same but has better stereo separation. the sony for most of the above but one big problem: even the newer player has more hiss.

the meizu and sony models i have hiss far more than the ipod or d2. but with a 75ohm resistor they sound nearly silent. the d2 is good but it will make your music quite nearly mono as the stereo separation with iems is quite intolerable.

the sony other than hiss has no real problems. it is much more sturdy than the d2, has better battery than the meizu or ipod and if you can use atrac, has gapless playback.

the nano and sony are my favourites but if i was to go without amp or resistor, the nano would remain top. if i had extra equipment to get rid of hiss: they sony is better

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have had the d2, meizu, ipod nano, sony 615 and a828. they are all good for certain things. the meizu for an unstrained sound and more natural equalisation. the d2 for a decent battery life and low hiss. the nano for the same but has better stereo separation. the sony for most of the above but one big problem: even the newer player has more hiss.

the meizu and sony models i have hiss far more than the ipod or d2. but with a 75ohm resistor they sound nearly silent. the d2 is good but it will make your music quite nearly mono as the stereo separation with iems is quite intolerable.

the sony other than hiss has no real problems. it is much more sturdy than the d2, has better battery than the meizu or ipod and if you can use atrac, has gapless playback.

the nano and sony are my favourites but if i was to go without amp or resistor, the nano would remain top. if i had extra equipment to get rid of hiss: they sony is better

ok sony it is. i got this audio level ettenuator with my shures, wich is basically a variabel resistor right?

anyway is the 820 any good? i don'y want to spend more than a 100 euro's, anybody know of a good deal somewere? are there good players availabe on ebay?

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, i just got me a SE530, now all i need is a good portable player.
after looking on the forum for a bit, it seemed everybody is liking the D2, when i looked at the first picture i thought: man thats a ugly machine. i'm not gonna walk around with that sticking out of my pocket.

so my attention went to sony, they look absolutely cool and seem to sound very good. only thing is the price...
so i was thinking about the A820, any good?
i would love to have the a829 but i just can't afford it..

so what i want in a player:
great SQ ofcource
i would really like video playback but if there's some great deal some were without video playback i'll take it.
nice interface wich allows me to browse my music easily.
8+GB of memory(more is better in case of video playback)
flac playback is not that necessary for me, i'm just gonna encode in a high bitrate.

so did i overlook some great player somewere? or what sony player would you recommend?
thanks

Have you looked into the A7XX series? It's the same as the A8XX series except without the bluetooth and other little features. It matches all of your criterions. I don't know how much it is in euros, but I got my A728(8GB) for $170 (tax incl.).

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikachoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked into the A7XX series? It's the same as the A8XX series except without the bluetooth and other little features. It matches all of your criterions. I don't know how much it is in euros, but I got my A728(8GB) for $170 (tax incl.).

*******it! i'll see if i can cancel my order for the A828:p
thx for the tip!

SQ as exactly the same?

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

radio tuner?

Out of the newer models only the S61X series has a tuner. I don't know about the stick players, but I think some have a tuner also. The reception on the S618 is great BTW.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the newer models only the S61X series has a tuner. I don't know about the stick players, but I think some have a tuner also. The reception on the S618 is great BTW.

yeah i now the s series got fm tuners, i was wondering about the a72x series.
well i think i'm still going for a828, it doesn't save me that much as opposed to the 728

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 19
Either way, you're going to enjoy your new player. Congrats.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 19
wow did you guys know that over here in the netherlands sony for some strange reason doesn't sell the a72x series? in fact if you search for it on the dutch sony site it says the product doesn't exsist.. weird:S

anyway importing it would save me just 20 bucks or so. so i'm sticking my original order for the A828.

just wished it would have an FM tuner, i mean practically every player comes equiped with an fm tuner these days..
gues i'll just have to get an portable tuner, just one more thing to cary around.

thx pikachoa, and everybody thanks for the help!

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

yeah i now the s series got fm tuners, i was wondering about the a72x series.
well i think i'm still going for a828, it doesn't save me that much as opposed to the 728

The A72X/82X series doesn't have a tuner but you'll still enjoy it (A828) just the same, Great choice IMO. I have the D2 and the player I reach for all the time now is the Sony
smily_headphones1.gif
- my D2 is getting kinda' dusty.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A72X/82X series doesn't have a tuner but you'll still enjoy it (A828) just the same, Great choice IMO. I have the D2 and the player I reach for all the time now is the Sony
smily_headphones1.gif
- my D2 is getting kinda' dusty.

actually i think i would do axactlly the same thing. i usually go for the product that hast the best specs for a good price, i actually find that the "feel" of a player is much more important. sony usually gets the feel of there players spot on.,it more than compensates for the little lack in some features.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #14 of 19
IMHO the sony isnt the best player to amp...

u need to amp as ur using 530's...or ull get hiss.

Sony NW-HD5 Review - MP3 Players

find one of these if u can, it has lineout..ur porblems will be with loading music and the ugly factor...but its all about ur ears which will loveu !

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #15 of 19
For amping the d2 is better - but I've got the SQ just right. Takes a while w/the D2 OR the Sony to tweak. But once you get it set - it's RIGHT!!!

PS: The NW-HD5 IS ugly, but it's a solid player!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back