Help Choosing Portable Music Player
Apr 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jbl772

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm going to be going on vacation to Japan this summer so I've been looking for a good portable music player with good sound quality.  I currently just use my iPhone 4S (with Ultrasone HFI-580's) and I hate the sound quality it has when connected to my phone.  I'm not an extreme audiophile, but I can tell good sound quality.  I currently use my HFI-580's most of the time connected to my desktop w/ a sound card (HT Omega Striker 7.1).  The bass is almost nonexistent connected to my iPhone and the clarity suffers as well.

I consider myself an audiophile because I can definitely tell good from meh from bad sound quality.  

So bottom line, I'm looking for a portable music player (around or under $200 would be great).  I'd honestly want to keep it under 150, but I'm not sure if there's anything out there for that cheap of good quality.  So, if there is something under 150 please let me know, otherwise <$200 is fine.

I mainly listen to EDM and rock/metal, about 85% EDM though.  

I've been looking at Cowon's and they're all pretty expensive...the i10 is appealing but it is a little over $200 and I just want to make sure I look at all the other options first.  Thanks for any help and if you need more info please ask :)

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 17
If you go in Japan you could buy a Sony F806 or a Z serie. Both have a great SQ and to my mind these are the best mainstream DAP, better than Samsung and iPod. See my profile :wink:

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
well, how about not getting another music player but get a portable amp for your phone? have you considered that option?

Agree, The iPhone 4S offers true lineout signals(much cleaner than HP jack) through line out dock port and AMPs will realy help to improve the soundquality than HP jack.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Hey,

I'm going to be going on vacation to Japan this summer so I've been looking for a good portable music player with good sound quality.  I currently just use my iPhone 4S (with Ultrasone HFI-580's) and I hate the sound quality it has when connected to my phone.  I'm not an extreme audiophile, but I can tell good sound quality.  I currently use my HFI-580's most of the time connected to my desktop w/ a sound card (HT Omega Striker 7.1).  The bass is almost nonexistent connected to my iPhone and the clarity suffers as well.

I consider myself an audiophile because I can definitely tell good from meh from bad sound quality.  

So bottom line, I'm looking for a portable music player (around or under $200 would be great).  I'd honestly want to keep it under 150, but I'm not sure if there's anything out there for that cheap of good quality.  So, if there is something under 150 please let me know, otherwise <$200 is fine

I mainly listen to EDM and rock/metal, about 85% EDM though.  

I've been looking at Cowon's and they're all pretty expensive...the i10 is appealing but it is a little over $200 and I just want to make sure I look at all the other options first.  Thanks for any help and if you need more info please ask :)

secondhand (they are no longer available new) J3 cost around 200 bucks on ebay , or you can just spend like 50 bucks to try the clip + which is well regarded in head fi

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 17
The new Sony releases are little better than Cowon players, but they don't have play/pause <</>> buttons like the J3 :frowning2:

Adding an amp could be a great improvement of the SQ, but I don't know japanese brands which sell good amps.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 17
I had the HFI-580 until I sold it since it was giving me jaw pain :frowning2:.

While in use with Cowon Z2 & Sony A walkman I found it more bassier with the A walkman.
With an ipod 4g, connected with a Digizoid Z2, the ultasones sounded great!

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I understand that an iPhone with an amp will sound nice, but I don't really want to carry around an amp.  I'd rather prefer to use a separate portable player.

I saw the j3 on ebay but unfortunately it is used - I don't have a problem with it being used but it is sold out of Korea and if, unfortunately, it comes in bad shape, I would rather not deal with the hassle of shipping it back to Korea.

The Sony F806 is also 289 on eBay...not sure if that's overpriced or if that's the normal price, but I would like to stay under 150 if possible, 200 max!

Edit: I forgot to mention but I would like at least 32GB, either internal or internal + microSD.  

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

I understand that an iPhone with an amp will sound nice, but I don't really want to carry around an amp.  I'd rather prefer to use a separate portable player.

I saw the j3 on ebay but unfortunately it is used - I don't have a problem with it being used but it is sold out of Korea and if, unfortunately, it comes in bad shape, I would rather not deal with the hassle of shipping it back to Korea.

The Sony F806 is also 289 on eBay...not sure if that's overpriced or if that's the normal price, but I would like to stay under 150 if possible, 200 max!

Edit: I forgot to mention but I would like at least 32GB, either internal or internal + microSD.  

The F806 on eBay is very overpriced, I bought mine in Japan, on Sony Store, at the equivalent of 190€. In France you find it at 289€.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Then i wil recommend to buy Cowon X7, X9 or Andriod based DAPs like Samsung Galaxy 5.2, 4.2, Sony Z sereis walkman and download sound enhanced APPs like Neutron Player and you will have amazing soundquality MP3 player which willbe much better than iPhone 4s.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Then i wil recommend to buy Cowon X7, X9 or Andriod based DAPs like Samsung Galaxy 5.2, 4.2, Sony Z sereis walkman and download sound enhanced APPs like Neutron Player and you will have amazing soundquality MP3 player which willbe much better than iPhone 4s.

Hi Zarim, 

I have had Sony F806 and Samsung YPGS1 aka Galaxy 3.6 and I heard any differences between the stock music player app and such as Neutron or PlayerPro app, although I active sound enhancement fonction, which just add sound effect (poorer than BBE effect on Cowon). 
Overall it is better than iPhone 4S SQ. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 17
I ended up getting the Cowon X9.  Sounds amazing out of the box.  Still playing with JetEffects but this is very nice.

In response to many negative reviews of the X9 - as an iPhone user, I know how a good touchscreen is.  Many people complained that the Cowon X9 had a bad touchscreen.  I agree that it is not the best touchscreen ever, but I got used to it within the first hour.  Using my fingernail helps a lot.

The software is not bad at all, just takes some time to get used to.

Basically, the Cowon X9 is an excellent player.  All of the negative reviews about this just require some patience to get used to.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
I ended up getting the Cowon X9.  Sounds amazing out of the box.  Still playing with JetEffects but this is very nice.

In response to many negative reviews of the X9 - as an iPhone user, I know how a good touchscreen is.  Many people complained that the Cowon X9 had a bad touchscreen.  I agree that it is not the best touchscreen ever, but I got used to it within the first hour.  Using my fingernail helps a lot.

The software is not bad at all, just takes some time to get used to.

Basically, the Cowon X9 is an excellent player.  All of the negative reviews about this just require some patience to get used to.

does it sound better than your iphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back