Help choosing next headphone please and thanks!
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tomraymo

New Head-Fier
Hey,

So I've come across some extra money and I would like a new pair of headphones. I'm no audiophile, or anywhere near one. I Just like to listen to music. I love EDM music. It's pretty much all I listen to at the moment, but I do enjoy listening to all other genres. 

I have the Panasonic HTF600, these headphones are great! I love the bass! (guess you could call me a basshead). But I want to upgrade from these now. So what I'm looking for is just an upgrade from the HTF600. But the price range has to be about $120 max.

I wanted the denon d2000, but ever since they got discontinued and the price shot up, I can no longer afford them (If you know a website that sells them for cheaper, that would be awesome).

I also plan on getting the Fiio E10 amp/DAC (unless someone can recommend me a better one in the same price range).

So now that denon d2k are no longer an option, I turn to you guys to help me choose my next pair of headphones :D.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 7
The AKG K550 is a great upgrade and sounds similar, but to my ears not quite as good as the Denon AH-D2000.  They sound really good with just about anything you throw at them and are my suggestion to those out there wanting the D2000 but who cannot find it.

If that is a tad outside of your budget perhaps the Shure SRH7500DJ will work.  They have a little extra oomph in the bass region, fit pretty well, and sound good.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh750dj.php

They receive perfect 5/5 stars from customers there at headphone.com which is a plus.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the akg 550 is out of my budget.

I looked at the shure srh7500DJ, they seem great, but the only thing is that they go on top of the ears. I would prefer it be covering the ears like the Panasonic HTF600 if possible.

Any more recommendations?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Heya,

With the Fiio E10, you can make any headphone fairly bassy. And bassy headphones just go to earthquake status with the switch on, with that Fiio E10.

Some suggestions to consider:

Brainwavz HM5 // Fischer Audio FA003
Beyer DT770
Philips Uptowns
Shure SRH440
Sony XB700
Ultrasone HFI 580
Shure SRH750 DJ

Call B&H for a quote on a Denon D2000. You might still be able to nab it for $200.

Very best,

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions!

I will call B&H tomorrow.

Out of the list, the beyer is out of my price range.

Which would you think is the better choice out of the list?

Also, what do you guys think of the M-Audio Q4?

Also, how is the bass on the shure 440?

Thanks

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 7
The Sony XB500 sounds better than the XB700 to my ears.  It is also less expensive.  If you have a choice and cannot audition them I recommend the XB500 out the Sony XB line.

The Shure 440 is extremely bass light.  It also sounds tinny, but has a pretty darn good midrange.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 7
you can get the dt 770 80 ohms for about 150-200 bucks depending where you shop. Besides those the Brainwavz HM5 are also very nice but a bit to neutral for some. But like stated the e10 can fix that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back