Help choosing new headphones
Oct 8, 2009 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nemesi5

New Head-Fier
So my old headphones are starting to break, 30$ headphones suck. I was recommended by overclock.net that you guys over here were serious business, I am looking to purchase a new headphone mainly for gaming (fps, racing) and music (trance, hiphop) and as of now I am using a creative xi-fi platinum soundcard. My budget is around 100$, can go a little higher if required, I'd like to purchase the headphone mainly from amazon as I have a 50$ gift card there. I was planning to purchase either the HD555's or AD700's but I am sure there are better options. Anyways, hoping for some great suggestions!
beyersmile.png

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 5
Trance and HipHop are both fairly bass heavy I believe, you may want to go to a closed headphone versus open to increase bass. Having said that, I found the AD700 to be better for me than the HD555 as the 555's seemed to have a veiled midrange and I what I thought was a boomy (midbass oriented bass) versus the more extended bass of the AD700 (more extended but less volume). The AD700 to me was also faster and more accurate at bass. They are both fairly easily driven though.

For closed phones I like my ATH ES7 but many find them uncomfortable. You might want to consider the ATH M50 or take a look at the Senn HD228 which is portable and closed. Anyway I will let others with more hands on experience with other phones comment on them instead of just passing on what I have read about them.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 5
If these are intended for home use, and you need bass (trance and hip hop), try looking into the Sony XB500 or XB700 for extreme comfort and lots of bass. Plus, they only cost around $50 - $80 shipped, depending on model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back