Help choosing new cans
Jul 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Icicle666

New Head-Fier
Good day ...

It was recommended by the computer forum that I frequent that I come and post my question here as I would get a better response ... so here it goes ...

My headphones have just broke and I am in the market for a new set. The problem is that my country does not play ball when looking into products that most people don't know.

I will be using the headphones for listening to music and gaming for 5hrs a day or so ...

I generally play FPS and 3rd person shooters and as for music, I listen to a variety of Rock and Metal but mostly bass heavy Dubstep\house

Seems I play games online ... I was looking at these 3 gaming headsets, Corsair Vengeance 1300 and the Razer Carcharias, CM Storm Sirus S ( I have been warned about the false 5.1 advertising but I am not sure how legit the warning is)

BUT

I can also go for standard stereo headphones and dust off my old Zalman clip on mic, if I go this route I have these choices

Razer Orca\Electra

Sennheiser HD 202
Sennheiser HD 205 II
Sennheiser MX 680i  (would prefer not to use in ear)

Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Could someone please help point me in the right direction as to which would be the best pair for the tasks I mentioned

All information would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Shameful Bump
redface.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 18
Would like to help but i dont have much experience with low end sennheisers, which other options you have available? 
where do you live? 

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Would like to help but i dont have much experience with low end sennheisers, which other options you have available? 
where do you live? 

It sucks that the only headphones I can get access to the rest of the world considers them as low end ... haha ...

Unfortunately with all the searching for local retailers so far the only options I have available were all in my first post ... I am from South Africa ...

I read in the headphone guide sticky on head-fi that the Audio-Technica M50 is a mid range (albeit the lower end of mid range) pair of headphones ... ... are the M30's really that much worse ?

How about Behringer HPX 4000

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 18
How much money are you planning to spend and are you willing to buy an amplifier? Even a cheap Fiio E-9 will do wonders over most sound cards (I have a pretty good sound card and was still a monumental improvement). Also, I live in the united states and no local stores carry serious headphone equipment so I get mine via Internet stores...is this possible where you live or are the shipping costs more than you are willing to pay?

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
How much money are you planning to spend and are you willing to buy an amplifier? Even a cheap Fiio E-9 will do wonders over most sound cards (I have a pretty good sound card and was still a monumental improvement). Also, I live in the united states and no local stores carry serious headphone equipment so I get mine via Internet stores...is this possible where you live or are the shipping costs more than you are willing to pay?

Well I am looking at getting the Asus Xonar DG which has a headphone amp for headphones over 64ohms ... I am currently running on a bit of a tight budget so an amp is out of the question for now ...

I will have a look for that amp but I really doubt I can find it in my country

I am currently looking at buying the listed headphones via online retailers ... no stores stock decent cans around here ...

Most US companies don't ship to my country ... that is the problem

::: EDIT :::

My budget is in and around R800 which is about $90  (must include shipping)

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 18
I see. Unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge for products within that price range to be of much help. Try reading some of the reviews already written out for the products you mentioned and those can be of great aid in making an informed decision for yourself. Of coarse there will be some other headfiers who might help you via this thread but it still doesn't hurt to read up for yourself. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 18
I just found the amp you mentioned ... it is R1800 ($218) ... so that is a definite no no ...

This thread really isn't getting much love ... I think it is cause the headphones listed are low end and most of the headfiers are using higher grade cans ...

Thanks for the input though ...

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 18
You should seriously think of visiting:

South Africa  
Jaben Audio South Africa, 72 Lost Eden, Vaapark, Sasolburg, South Africa
Tel. (+27) 16 971 4042

U can test out a lot of cans there before you commit to one :)

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 18
No prob, I have been to one of their branches...and they really carry good stuff. 3 hrs...well...I guess it will be worth it :) Its suppose to be a can paradise ... maybe u can call and ask them before going...or just order via the website once u have decided :) At least u will get some variety !

Have fun yo ! Rock On...

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 18
I have the superlux 668b and Asus Xonar DG, the superlux is pretty much the samson sr850 to my knowledge. And I can tell you I am quite happy with it. The only real downside I have is with the pads on the headphones make you sweat a bit after awhile and I haven't been able to get my hands on a set of velour pads for it. I can tell you I was impressed with the sound quality I have with these headphones, better than anything I have ever heard before. But it comes at a price, you can tell when you have music encoded at 128kbit in comparison to higher encoded music and you may develop a tendency to find 128kbit unbearable (I know I have slowly started avoiding that part of my music collection).

I can tell you this, these are NOT bass heavy headphones so if thats what you want, don't bother. For video games I heard of a few people saying it works good with the dolby headphones which the Xonar DG has (though only 5.1) for sound positioning in games due to the headphones having a large soundstage. I can't verify that I don't game as much as I use to. I use these mainly for music and movies, and depending on the music/movie playing I use the dolby headphone option, as I found in some war movies the dolby headphones + bass boast will make the fighting scenes a tad bit more intense as it sounds like you have things going off in several directions and your hearing is overwhelmed with everything going on.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/554328/superlux-hd668b-review-vs-audio-technica-m50-and-superlux-hd681f
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=3822.0

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 18
+1 for Superlux 668B + velour pads ... and even for Superlux HD661 :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 18
Ah it is great to see another South African that understands the perils we face regarding stock and pricing ...

I will have a look at that website ... thanks for the link ...

I am looking at getting either Sennheiser or Audio-Technica, I really don't want to go cheap and regret it ...

I am from pretoria (just moved that is why I was quiet on here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back