1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

help choosing my first set of custom IME

1. sy0296
    Hi guys, I need some guidance choosing my first set of custom IME.

I've had some experiences with IMEs in the past but I always went back to full size cans due to discomfort after long listening sessions.  I currently own shure e500, UE triplefi 10, etymotic er4-s and use them interchangeably depending on if I'm bringing an amp and also for different types of music.  I find the e500 a big bright somethings but is great for pop/rock when I feel like it.  The Triplefi 10 to me is a bit bass heavy but great for vocals/jazz/R&B; it gets the most use.  The Ety's were my first set of IMEs but they are too dry and only liven up with when amped.  I do like them for vocal, light jazz, bossa nova, instrumental, etc (I feel the timbre on the ety's are most accurate when I care to listen for it...but they get boring after a while).

I will primary use them when i'm traveling (planes, subways, buses, boat rides) when it's not convenient to bring full size cans and I listen to a wide genre of music except electronic and hip-hop/rap.

Based on a bunch of reading here and on other sites, I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Westone ES5 and the JH Audio JH13pro FreqPhase.

I do prefer a more forward and warm sound.  To give you an idea of what's working for me right now, at home i'm listening on a set of Grado RS1 with a Benchmarch dac1 dac/amp combo.  When traveling, and I can bring full size cans, I using the Beyerdynamic T5P.  

After reading a bunch of subjective listening review, I'm torn between the two above mentioned IMEs.  I'm worried that the JH13pro might be overly bright or dry, but at the same time I also worry the the RS5 will be overly "coloring" and bass heavy.

Any suggestions other than buying both?  :)

2. sy0296
    cliff's version:
    - I can't decide between the ES5 and JH13 Pro FreqPhase.
    - The type of sound I prefer is forward+warm.  
    - The Grado RS1 has been my favorite headphones so looking something that has a similar sound

Any advise?

3. digicosmos
    If the TF10s get the most use maybe give the UE IEMs a go?  Not that I have used them but I think UE really takes their "sound signature" very seriously

4. davidcotton
    Or for a cheap try get the tf10's reshelled into customs.