Help choosing IEM for Cayin N5ii
May 21, 2019 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ryan220

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I'm very new to HiFi and would appreciate some advice.

I have just purchased a Cayin N5ii and am awaiting delivery.

I wish to get a new pair of IEMs to go with it.

My lack of experience and inibility to demo any IEMs is proving to be an issue.

So I've read dozens of reviews and have made a shortlist of either Ibasso IT01s, BGVP DM7, DM6 and DMS.

I like to listen to all kinds of music except Rock and Heavy Metal.

Because Ive only ever owned one pair of IEMs I don't know if they are bright, dynamic, neutral etc so I will just list my current setup in the hope that wiser minds than mine will know.

Huawei P20 Pro,
Topping NX2,
Audio Technica CKX 9

I really like the sound of this setup. To me it's nice and clear and has good bass thats not over powering. I'm looking for an IEM when paired with the Cayin that will offer improvement.

My IEM budget is around £200 / $250 should anyone think a different IEM would be better.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 4
I found 2 reviews about the CKX 9
https://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/ath-ckx9is/review
https://www.reviewed.com/headphones/content/audio-technica-sonicfuel-ath-ckx9is-headphones-review
From those it sounds like they have boosted bass and mid bass, lack clarity in upper mids and can have harsh treble.

The Kanas Pro are quite good, especially in the upper mids which are clean, detailed and holographic.
Sub-bass is strong if a little slowish. I personally would like them to have more mid bass & lower mids and be a bit faster, but then we are talking about the Tanjim Oxygen, which is closer to $300

The IT01s is on the brighter side, not sure if you'd enjoy that that much after the bass heavy CKX 9.

A safe bet would be the Final Audio E4000
I liked the Sony XBA-N3 as well, strong bass and smooth and detailed mid/treble, but also $300
FLC8d is on sale at Amazon for $200, never heard them but was always interested as they get loads of good feedback

Can't say anything about the BGVP, never heard them

May 22, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 4
Many thanks for the replies.

I don't find the CKX9s very bassy. The top end can get a bit harsh though.

I listened to my son's Sony MDR XB650BT and those were bassy. I felt like the sound pressure was going to lift them off of my ears. I didn't like them at all. He also has some Senn CX 300 (or something like that) and I found them bassy.

Perhaps my CKX 9s are worn out as I have had them for years and years.

I'll take a look at the reviews for your suggestions.

I'm thinking about upping my budget but I need to work out a way of getting it past my wife.

And my Cayin arrived - it sounds very nice indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back