Help Choosing Headphones
Feb 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mykinius

New Head-Fier
I've been using default iPod earphones for listening to my iPod and computer for a while now, and I'd like to buy real headphones because they're falling apart and I'm tired of the "earbud" design. I'd like to spend no more than $100 dollars (maybe $120 max), and a headphone amp is out of the picture initially because they're too expensive for me. I'd like around-the-ear headphones that are isolated enough that others won't hear my music at normal volume; that probably means closed design, but perhaps there are open ones that don't leak a lot (I don't know).

I listen only to music without lyrics. My library's contents range from the Star Wars soundtrack to music from The Matrix to the Nutcracker suite.

My computer does not have a sound card, but I do use a program called Breakaway Audio Enhancer that acts as a virtual sound card. I would like to use the headphones for both music and games, but I'm partial to music (if I need to prioritize) because I would also like to use these with my iPod.

I'm currently considering the Sennheiser 428 and 448 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50. Are such headphones overkill for me, or would they be worth the $60-100? Which one of them would be best for me (if any)? What other headphones would you recommend for me?

Thanks for any answers! I'm glad to give more information if needed.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 14
$120?
All I got in my head is SRH 440 and ATH-M50...
Though, increase it to $150 and there will be much more options... unless of course you plan to buy an opened or used pair.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 14
The Senn HD448 would be great for instrumental music. I don't know if you are familiar with Sennheiser's sound or not, but it has a pretty flat frequency response and doesn't color the sound much, if at all. That's ideal for your type of music, where you want to hear everything going on, the way it was intended to sound. The neutral sound is also pretty ideal for travel because it takes a MUCH longer listening period to fatigue your ears. They're super lightweight and closed-back too (thumbs up for travel again) and don't need the extra boost from an amp. It's a great headphone for $100.

I would stay away from the ATH-M50 if I were you though, especially with your music preference. The bass in the M50's is really muddy and tends to overpower the rest of the frequency range. In the listening experience I have had with them, the mids were especially muffled a majority of the time due to the bass's inability to effectively "roll off." That's just my personal opinion though...

I haven't heard the HD428, but I think the 448's would be a good fit for you.

Hope that helped!

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
The Senn HD448 would be great for instrumental music. I don't know if you are familiar with Sennheiser's sound or not, but it has a pretty flat frequency response and doesn't color the sound much, if at all. That's ideal for your type of music, where you want to hear everything going on, the way it was intended to sound. The neutral sound is also pretty ideal for travel because it takes a MUCH longer listening period to fatigue your ears. They're super lightweight and closed-back too (thumbs up for travel again) and don't need the extra boost from an amp. It's a great headphone for $100.

I would stay away from the ATH-M50 if I were you though, especially with your music preference. The bass in the M50's is really muddy and tends to overpower the rest of the frequency range. In the listening experience I have had with them, the mids were especially muffled a majority of the time due to the bass's inability to effectively "roll off." That's just my personal opinion though...

I haven't heard the HD428, but I think the 448's would be a good fit for you.

Hope that helped!

Super-helpful. Is the long cord a real hassle for mp3 player listening, or are there ways to get around it?

ALSO: What don't people like about the 448?

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 14
A long cord is not really issue if you wrap up the uneeded excess.  The only real negative of the HD448(if you can call it that) is that they're a bit light on bass.  Not too light, just not head shaking, it's very well controlled.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:

It looks like you had a bad experience with the M50's. Mine sounded just right. 

But since you're a gamer also, i wouldn't recommend them. (soundstage is not very good)

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
It looks like you had a bad experience with the M50's. Mine sounded just right. 

But since you're a gamer also, i wouldn't recommend them. (soundstage is not very good)

I would think that the M50s would be better for games due to the increased presence of bass. What is soundstage, and why would that make them worse for games than the 448?

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Bass for gaming isn't good since it is distracting and prohibits from you hearing other things like footsteps. Trust me, M50s suck for gaming. The AD700 on the other hand, has very light bass but has the biggest soundstage ever.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 14
I'm kinda new to this as well but I think what they mean by soundstage is being able to tell where the sound is coming from. In lay men's terms, this means with headphones that have good soundstage you could hear the guys sneaking up behind you. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Super-helpful. Is the long cord a real hassle for mp3 player listening, or are there ways to get around it?

ALSO: What don't people like about the 448?

The 3m cord of HD 448 is actually made from two parts, the original 1.4m and a 1.6m extension cable. For mp3 player use, you only use the 1.4m one. That way you can place the player in any of your pockets or backpack, and the cable won't dangle too much and you won't walk over it.

At the price they are, there is no faults for the HD 448. Bass is well controlled but it can go as low as 20Hz.

The only thing i don't like, but that's not the headphone's fault, its the same as with HD 598. Unlike the older generation models (both 448 and 598 are the top of their range like 485 and 595 where once), Sennheiser decided to drop the HH10 holder from the box. I can't be happy with that, i bought them both, and i feel robbed twice.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
I'm kinda new to this as well but I think what they mean by soundstage is being able to tell where the sound is coming from. In lay men's terms, this means with headphones that have good soundstage you could hear the guys sneaking up behind you. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

You're right.
And that's important when playing FPS games. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 14
Try Ultrasone HFI 450. This is a closed headphone with unique soundstage that simulates surround sound. It's great for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back