Help choosing first headphones
Dec 25, 2018 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

xarotic

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, Christmas has finally rolled around and I have some extra money to play with. I am new to the headphone/audiophile world and am looking for some recommendations/comments on some gear I am looking to pickup. Here are a few details about what I am looking for and what I have:

TLDR: I am a noob here and while I have done some reading, I have no experience whatsoever with most of this equipment. I am also very open to other equipment, this is just what I have found that has interested me thus far.

BUDGET - $400 Total

Gear I am comparing(Headphones):
A: I am trying to choose between:
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO (250ohm version)
Sennheiser HD 650

Gear I am comparing(Amps):
I have been recommended to run these through a DAC and amp combo to fit in my budget, particular recommendations have been:
FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier
JDS Labs Atom

If I get the 650s, they will be via the massdrop HD6xx (as I understand they are the same)
and will combine it with OL DAC and the JDS Labs Atom

What music do I listen to?
A: Generally I stay close to house/dance music. Nothing to wub wub heavy though.

How will I listen to these?
A: Through a 2018 mac mini via USB and my desktop via the motherboards audio port via a DAC/AMP combo.
Headphones > DAC/AMP combo > motherboard

Questions I have:
1. The max rating on the E10K is 150ohm, will that be ok with the 250ohm or 300ohm versions of the headphones I listed? I couldn't find the rating of the JSD Labs Atom, but I assume it was close to the same as the E10k.
2. If I do run these higher ohm headphones through one of these combo DAC/AMPs how much loss of quality would I get since their ohms are higher than the rating?
3. For my type of music, would the HD650s be worth the money to jump in and spend that much more money over the DT990s?
4. Would going for the more expensive 80ohm version of the DT990s be a better fit for the E10k?

I have made a few reddit posts asking for advice as well, here are the links:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneA...beyerdynamic_dt_990_pro_250ohm_but_which_amp/
https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice/comments/a9ciy4/do_i_actually_need_this_setup/

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 17
If you can afford the extra couple bucks, get the FiiO K3, much better DAC then the E10K. Im currently running the combo of K3 and O2 amp and its pretty awesome. The FiiO does lack amp power. It runs most of my headphones fine but need it at full gain and full power. The O2 boosts it pretty well tho. The Atom has more power then the O2 so you should be good there. Over all you wont loose any quality with the Atom/E10K. Only reason I suggest the K3 is it does DSD Up to 256 and 32bit/384 which is a big bonus over the E10k plus it has a balanced 2.5mm port.

Edit: Also with that budget, look at the Massdrop 58x. Just got mine for christmas and they are amazing.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 17
If you can afford the extra couple bucks, get the FiiO K3, much better DAC then the E10K. Im currently running the combo of K3 and O2 amp and its pretty awesome. The FiiO does lack amp power. It runs most of my headphones fine but need it at full gain and full power. The O2 boosts it pretty well tho. The Atom has more power then the O2 so you should be good there. Over all you wont loose any quality with the Atom/E10K. Only reason I suggest the K3 is it does DSD Up to 256 and 32bit/384 which is a big bonus over the E10k plus it has a balanced 2.5mm port.
Would you reccomend this setup vs the HD6xx powered by JDS OL DAC + Atom amp?

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 17
Honestly, using the FiiO k3 as just a pure DAC, its kinda hard to beat. It does everything now that i got foobar figured out. I havent tried the el dac so cant really comment on it. Also look into the Topping DX3 Pro. Its got better specs then my FiiO k3, O2 combo across the board. More amp power then the O2 and plays DSD512 and I think its even 32/768. As for the headphone, I got a used pair in great condition of the akg 7xx, and brand new pairs of hd58x, he4xx, and tx0'S and i havent been able to put my 58x's down. They are worth well over the 150 dollar price tag. Dont let the price fool you. Really think they are the best valued headphones on the market.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 17
Honestly, using the FiiO k3 as just a pure DAC, its kinda hard to beat. It does everything now that i got foobar figured out. I havent tried the el dac so cant really comment on it. Also look into the Topping DX3 Pro. Its got better specs then my FiiO k3, O2 combo across the board. More amp power then the O2 and plays DSD512 and I think its even 32/768. As for the headphone, I got a used pair in great condition of the akg 7xx, and brand new pairs of hd58x, he4xx, and tx0'S and i havent been able to put my 58x's down. They are worth well over the 150 dollar price tag. Dont let the price fool you. Really think they are the best valued headphones on the market.
I got recommended the he 4xx. They look really good. Someone told me they were really great for electronic music. How do you think they compare? Do you need to run them through a DAC and amp?

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 17
Would you reccomend this setup vs the HD6xx powered by JDS OL DAC + Atom amp?
The 150-Ohm Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X are really great for their price and easier to drive then the 300-Ohm HD650/HD6XX.
I would try and talk you into getting the Atom headphone amplifer.
Apple products usually come with decent built in DAC functions, so you could try plugging the Atom directly into the Mac Mini.
Hifimediy has DACs, check out the ones in the $30 -$70 range.
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Well I did it, I ended up buying all 3 on amazon to try with a JDS Atom to power it. I plan to return the 2 I dont like, and possibly do a writeup about my experience with the 3.

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 17
Which three?

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 17
Which three?
Im sorry, I ordered the Atom amp, along with HD650, HE400i, and Beyer DT990. I figured I will send the ones I dont like as much back with amazon, hopefully I dont love them all too much...lol. If I love the 650 I think I will return and get the HD6xx? I wonder if a DAC is in my future now.. here comes the hifi addiction lol

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 17
I would say to cancel the order for the DT990,
you should like the HD650 and HE-400i better then the DT990.

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 17
Beyerdynamics are the only ones I haven’t tried yet. Should have got the he4xx (better headband and pads then he400i for only 160)and hd58x( almost an hd660 for only $150), great combo so far and prolly a better value then the hd650 and he400i. Massdrop is pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #13 of 17
Beyerdynamics are the only ones I haven’t tried yet. Should have got the he4xx (better headband and pads then he400i for only 160)and hd58x( almost an hd660 for only $150), great combo so far and prolly a better value then the hd650 and he400i. Massdrop is pretty awesome.
True, I only went this route so that returns will be easy.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 17
True, I only went this route so that returns will be easy.
I really think you should cancel the DT990.
I own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and DT990 Premium 600-Ohm and have not used them in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back