Help choosing B/W ATH M50s or V-moda M80/V80 (Rap, Hip Hop, dubstep, electronic music)
Oct 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

drmrwt

Head-Fier
dear headfier's,
I found my new hobby after listening to my friends 650's. i went on with a big mistake as a first step of mine which was Atrio M5 mg7(A decent pair dont get me wrong but i found the treble to be a bit sharp for me) i do love the bass on these tiny little things though. Now i am no audiophile i am just a residing doctor in a third world country who tends to love music and wants to get the best for my money :)

Now Its between ATH M50s or V-moda M80/V80 or should i wait for the 100's.
I do not have an amp or dac i can get one but will it be worth it? will be using them with my iphone, portability doesn't matter that much(regretting my Atrio M5 Mg7's for that) as i just need best sound for the money. I listen to Rap, Hip Hop, dubstep, electronic, trance mostly and at times some classical music. budget 250$

Your wise opinion will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 28
if you cant demo both headphones, buy both and return the other one you dont like

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 28
I like the HFI 580 and the ATH A900x nice pair of cans, doable but can i get a decent amp in my budget as well?. I was leaning towards the V-Modas mainly because the sound, the fact that they will do good without an amp(i hear) and last build quality(sturdy)

Do you own the M50's? are they good enough unamped?

Sadly i am unable to try both of them, my buddy is coming from USA in a coupla weeks so he is going to hook me up with them. And i dont want to make a big mistake regretting it later on as this would be my second failed attempt.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 28
The M50's are NOT good for dubstep. If you want a lot of bass, go for a combo with the D2000's and an amp, or the Pro700mk2's from AT. If you don't care a whole lot about the mid range then you could go for the Sony XB500-700's they have a very exaggerated low end, more so on the 500's. The bass muddies the hell outta the sound, but it makes dubstep amazingly fun.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
I highly recommend the M-80s. Perfect for your genres. If you could wait for the M-100 I imagine that would be better.

yes, i am really tempted by the M-80s right now because currently they are just for 151$ on amazon. just want to make sure i get the best cans for the money. another question is that what am i better off buying with the M-80's? an amp or an amp/dac for 100$ or so? or it won't make that much of a difference with the M-80's.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
The M50's are NOT good for dubstep. If you want a lot of bass, go for a combo with the D2000's and an amp, or the Pro700mk2's from AT. If you don't care a whole lot about the mid range then you could go for the Sony XB500-700's they have a very exaggerated low end, more so on the 500's. The bass muddies the hell outta the sound, but it makes dubstep amazingly fun.D

The D2000 is completely out of my budget let alone the amp. pro700mk2's are good but i hear that the AudioTechnica A900X are better?  i can see myself getting those as well.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
I have both the M50s and the M-80s. I like the M50s but love the M-80s. Get the M-80s!

M-80's +1. lol way to put it. btw where are you on the amp with the M80's, do i need one? I am already psyched like a little kid again
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back