• Andromeda

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • IER-M9

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
Jul 28, 2019 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Exill

Head-Fier
So I decided to upgrade my IEM and come across Andromeda and IER-M9.

In here M9 is a cheaper than Andromeda. Around 1200 usd for Andromeda and 1000 usd for IER-M9. I have listened to both of them and I like them both. Sadly I can only buy one..

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 27
I have listened to both several times at a store and the M9 impressed me a bit more.
If I had not read soooo much about the Andromeda being the gatekeeper TOTL IEM I would have simply said that the M9 sounded more enjoyable to me.
It's been a while but I think I remember it being more exciting, but not too much, like the Z1R (which is really an IEM on steroids! Excellent, but not sure how long I could take it)

I later read in Toranku's thread that he also found the M9 to be very good, and I'd recommend reading his comments.
Crinacle rates the M9 lower than the Andromeda though.

My heart and ears would have said M9, my brain would have said Andromeda, for it's potentially better resale value.
But my heart and ears would have won if I'd had the budget.

Cheers! :)

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 27
Thank you for the reply!
actually I can save a little bit more and just go straight to Z1R. Do you think Z1R is worth a lot more? I heard it being highly praise.

I had listen Z1R, yes it is really really good, but with that price 600 usd more than M9 and 400 usd more than Andromeda I am not sure.

Other option is Meze Penta Rai.. so many option..

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 27
The question whether an IEM is "worth it" is so personal I can't help with it :)
When I heard the Z1R I was wowed - it felt like going to the movies with this allmighty and earth shattering sound they play in a big cinema in the beginning (This Dolby THX stuff). This IEM is anything but shy. Mighty bass, crystal clear (at times almost a little sharp) highs, wow soundstage, detail... But I found the mids a little recessed, and couldn't help wondering whether I'd enjoy it in the long run. It's soo "much", like every element of the music was enhanced (except the lower midrange....) Like a HDR photo. Impressive, but maybe not my kind of sound.

If you drive a Dodge Ram, this might be your IEM :)

The problem is that I think you need more time than just a few minutes in the shop to really know if you like an IEM.

I'd just go back and listen, if you have the chance, until you know which one you want.
It's a privilege to have access to these IEMs in a store.

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 27
Maybe I will come and try it again this weekend.

Thanks for your input!

Mar 9, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 27
I owned all three.

The M9 is like the Andromeda, but has the bass it's lacking. So I prefer the M9.

The Z1R sounds just like the M9, but with a slight elevation to sub-bass, less mid-bass, and a dip in the lower mids. I actually prefer the M9 over the Z1R due to the mids not being recessed and more slam from the mid-bass. The extra sub-bass on the Z1R is fine, but may be slightly overdone.

Also, I don't like the exterior material of the Z1Rs. They can scratch each other more easily and weigh more.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 27
I owned all three.

The M9 is like the Andromeda, but has the bass it's lacking. So I prefer the M9.

The Z1R sounds just like the M9, but with a slight elevation to sub-bass, less mid-bass, and a dip in the lower mids. I actually prefer the M9 over the Z1R due to the mids not being recessed and more slam from the mid-bass. The extra sub-bass on the Z1R is fine, but may be slightly overdone.

Also, I don't like the exterior material of the Z1Rs. They can scratch each other more easily and weigh more.

Great to read from someone who owned all of them!
Just to make sure I understand - you mean the Andromeda's bass is lacking in comparison to the M9, correct?
I really liked the M9 and although it's outside my budget for the moment I may get it in the future...

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 27
Great to read from someone who owned all of them!
Just to make sure I understand - you mean the Andromeda's bass is lacking in comparison to the M9, correct?
I really liked the M9 and although it's outside my budget for the moment I may get it in the future...

The level and slam were lacking for me. The Andromeda is pretty bass light especially comparing it to the other IEMs Campfire makes.

May 19, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 27
What did u end up with? I owned Andromeda before the M9. Definitely without a doubt M9 over Andromeda. M9 is more holographic. Deep fit. Use small hybrid tips, go deep and seal it good. M9 has better resolution. Better separations. Far better vocals. Idk what andro is there for when there's M9. And yes, i heard z1r too. Z1r has less mid bass but cannon like subbass. The highs are even higher. Basically thin mids than M9, a slight V than M9.

May 19, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 27
What did u end up with? I owned Andromeda before the M9. Definitely without a doubt M9 over Andromeda. M9 is more holographic. Deep fit. Use small hybrid tips, go deep and seal it good. M9 has better resolution. Better separations. Far better vocals. Idk what andro is there for when there's M9. And yes, i heard z1r too. Z1r has less mid bass but cannon like subbass. The highs are even higher. Basically thin mids than M9, a slight V than M9.

I end up going with Z1R. It pairs well with mojo. The mid is decent for me, the soundstage is bigger than Andromeda, the bass is better than m9. I also bought qdc 4ss if I want more mid and flat experience.
I think I would need to try m9 again these day. But yes, m9 is the best fit out of all those.

May 20, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 27
If you're talking about me I sold the Andromeda and Z1R.
after having small hybrid tips and deep fit with it. It totally blew me off with the staging. Phenomenal pin pointing imaging. It is due to the lushness of its midbass and that perfect highs to create the forte. And the best thing is, the vocals are so clear! ive tried a lot of warm iems, but when it is warm, the vocals are ruined with bass bleed but not with M9. Probably VE8 has that forte too but i have no chance to demo that set. Andromeda vocals are really lacking, almost like under blanket kind of sound. For the Z1R, if i have chance i want to demo that again but for my experience with it, the first impression is quite turned off when i heard the upper mids and the shy of lower mids of it. A lil shouty and the feels of "thin" mids is there. It has better subbass no doubt. To me Z1R is more "fun" set. M9 is more referenced set and has better balance across the frequency. Due to that warm forte, i found M9 is more holographic than Z1R.

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 27
IER-M9 really impressed me a lot. In 2018 I bought a 2nd hand one and had listened to it for about 6 months, then I sold it because of needing money to buy another IEM. However, I started to miss it after selling it. In 2019, I bought a brand new 1st hand M9 and I think I will keep it forever and won't let it go.

A while ago I compared both M9 and Andromeda 2019. They have the similar timbre and sound stage but I reckon M9 performs better than andromeda in terms of instrument separation and position. Also M9 has more bass and slam than Andromeda and the bass has great texture and layering.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 27
IER-M9 really impressed me a lot. In 2018 I bought a 2nd hand one and had listened to it for about 6 months, then I sold it because of needing money to buy another IEM. However, I started to miss it after selling it. In 2019, I bought a brand new 1st hand M9 and I think I will keep it forever and won't let it go.

A while ago I compared both M9 and Andromeda 2019. They have the similar timbre and sound stage but I reckon M9 performs better than andromeda in terms of instrument separation and position. Also M9 has more bass and slam than Andromeda and the bass has great texture and layering.

If I were to choose between those two again today, I would definitely go for M9 I think.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 27
Andro 2020 is a different tuning. Ive heard good things about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back