[HELP] Choosing a open headphone. (HD650 - X2 - DT990 Premium)
Jan 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ratto

New Head-Fier
Good morning.

First of all I would like to thank the Head-fiers for helping me when I bought my M100, I love this headphone and I owe it to you.

Well, for starters, today I have a V-Moda M100 and an SMSL M3.

Now, since I'm going to the USA in April, I plan to buy an open back headphone. The three headphones I am in doubt are the Fidelio X2, HD650 and DT990 premium. I would like to hear from you about the build quality, sound quality, clarity, imaging and soundstage of them.

The styles of music I listen to are classic rock, metal, jazz, blues.

Thank you in advance.

Ratto

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 20
  Good morning.

First of all I would like to thank the Head-fiers for helping me when I bought my M100, I love this headphone and I owe it to you.

Well, for starters, today I have a V-Moda M100 and an SMSL M3.

Now, since I'm going to the USA in April, I plan to buy an open back headphone. The three headphones I am in doubt are the Fidelio X2, HD650 and DT990 premium. I would like to hear from you about the build quality, sound quality, clarity, imaging and soundstage of them.

The styles of music I listen to are classic rock, metal, jazz, blues.

Thank you in advance.

Ratto

HD650 is darkish and mid-bassy with relatively small soundstage and plenty of inner detail in the mids
DT990 is brighter more open sounding and more clinical. More v-shaped than HD650 and less forgiving as well.
X2 is not as refined as DT990 or HD650. It has big soundstage but the bass if BLOOM type of bass and lacks resolution in the mids and treble. It's quite forgiving though. More 'fun' than HD650 at first listen, more forgiving than DT990 but ultimately a step behind in terms of refinement.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 20
I own all three. If I could only have one, it would be the X2s.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 20
It should work fine, yes.

You can get a big discount for Tesla T90 Chrome these days in the US.
Less bass than DT990 but even more detailed across the board. Worth checking.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 20
In that price range HE 400S is a very good headphone also.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 20
I would recommend the 650 i own all 3 with the 650 you will not get that wow factor that you get from the other 2 but you'll start listening to incredible things on all genres if you want big soundstage and punch and boom go for x2, if you want a detailed but V shaped (fun) dt990 one thing to consider is also that 10k treble spike on the dt990 they are not for everyone, hd650 a lot of people consider them their end of game headphone they give you everything soundstage not much they are neutral warm and has perfect imaging which non of the other 2 have but you wont get that wow factor

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 20
And wut about a Hi-FiMAN HE400s?

These are all quality headphones and at some point personal preferences play the bigger role.
Built quality is not that great on HE400S from what I know. I think HE400i is a bit better.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 20
These are all quality headphones and at some point personal preferences play the bigger role.
Built quality is not that great on HE400S from what I know. I think HE400i is a bit better.
The build is identical on the i's and S. Is that from what you know or have read? I've had them for about a year or more with zero problems. I guess if I were to stomp them with my foot they would break along with every other ones I own. If people are breaking them they are trying to as they are solidly built. I'm not real easy on my headphones for the most part and have not a single problem with any of them. Just like some Amazon reviews " I drop them out of my car window going 70 mph and the damn things broke on me" . I've seen people say there is a build problem but is always what they heard.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 20
The build is identical on the i's and S. Is that from what you know or have read? I've had them for about a year or more with zero problems. I guess if I were to stomp them with my foot they would break along with every other ones I own. If people are breaking them they are trying to as they are solidly built. I'm not real easy on my headphones for the most part and have not a single problem with any of them. Just like some Amazon reviews " I drop them out of my car window going 70 mph and the damn things broke on me" . I've seen people say there is a build problem but is always what they heard.

I've read in different places that HE400S uses different (cheaper?) plastics. Some reviews here and there saying things about glue marks from factory, you know...
I'm sure they aren't bad, although next to a Beyerdynamic Tesla T90 they might feel a tad cheaper, that's all.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 20
I've read in different places that HE400S uses different (cheaper?) plastics. Some reviews here and there saying things about glue marks from factory, you know...
I'm sure they aren't bad, although next to a Beyerdynamic Tesla T90 they might feel a tad cheaper, that's all.
Have no glue marks on mine. Cheaper plastics that's a good one did those people do tests on it to determine that or just say out there butt that is the case? You would have to try hard to break them. My guess is some with large noggins wanting decrease clamp graded the cups to stretch them out and they broke as I would bet the i's would also as the HD 650's. Didn't mean to berate you on this as I have seen it said a couple of times and just don't know where they're coming from. They are a solid built headphone. Too many here like what they like and everything else is crap to them so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. I never give a negative comment on something I don't own or have heard period.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 20
+1 on the HE400S. Elegant, astounding midrange, shimmering treble, and high-quality, adequate bass. Terrific soundstage and imaging. Great rhythm and pacing. Sub bass rolls off about as the HD 600 does. When Tyll put them on his Wall of Fame, he said he preferred the 400S to the HD600. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 20
I'd say go with the x2, they have a very fun sound quality for music listening with huge soundstage which will most likely suit you better than the other options coming from a pair of m100s. Although they are v-shaped, they are not nearly as dramatically v-shaped as you will hear from many other people. I am not that into bass and the amount of bass in a headphone is irrelevant to me unless it makes an audible difference in the clarity, this was not a problem for me with the x2 and most people who say it has way too much bass are probably coming from headphones with nonexistent bass. If you're older than 40 the dt990 would probably be good since you won't be able to hear the ear destroying highs especially on the dt990 premium which has more treble than the dt990 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back