Help buying speakers
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

commandaria

Head-Fier
Hi, ive been a lurker for a long time but now I want to get a computer set up.
Im basicly looking for a DAC and a pair of speakers.
I live in a town house so I cant get a sub.

Im looking idealy at spending 200, but at 350 most.

I listen to everything except rock, trance, dance.

I saw a pair of Bowers & Wilkins Matrix 2 loud speakers for 350 CAN? how is that price?

Ive been looking at a few speakers including:
Mackie MR5
Audioengine 2, 5
Paradigm Atom v.3 loudspeaker
Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 loudspeaker
M-audio AV-40

For DAC, I have no real idea but ive been looking at
EMU 0202
TEC DAC TC-7510
Lite DAC-AH

Im gonna hook it up to a laptop.

Can anyone help?

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 32
You should pop into a Long and McQuade and check out some Yorkville YSM2Ps. I bought mine when setting up a home recording studio but find them quite adequate for just listening to tunes. They are nearfield monitors so not the best for larger rooms.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 32
meaning it is not very reactive without external power~

audioengine 5 sounds great and pretty small~

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 32
I second the machie mr5. They are great for the price.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 32
I have a pair of SharperImage KO-500 Bluetooth speakers. If you can still find them I think they sound pretty darn nice. I got mine for 40$, and a few might be floating around for 100$. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/...ebb6c9de_o.jpg
They have a very solid build and heavy. Had mine for about 4 years now and still shaking walls.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by darcyb62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should pop into a Long and McQuade and check out some Yorkville YSM2Ps. I bought mine when setting up a home recording studio but find them quite adequate for just listening to tunes. They are nearfield monitors so not the best for larger rooms.

Like darcyb62 said, you should check one out, they have all kinds of active speakers there.

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 32
like is there any difference buying it used or new? because i really want to save money. I went to bay radio store and couldnt find any.
Does anyone know where to find DACs in canada?

And with the bluetooth one do I even need a dac? would sound quality be compromised since there isnt any cable?

Nov 22, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 32
You can find DACs in any music store really. You need to give us more information about your friend's DAC... telling us the chip doesn't say very much. Do you have brand/model name? a picture? In any event, $55 is pretty cheap for a dac.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #15 of 32
you can go on ebay and order some b-stock white audioengine A5s for 250USD right now.

I don't know how that would work in Canada.

I haven't heard the 2s, but I have heard the 5s and they sound pretty damn awesome. I think the general consensus is that the 5s are a lot better. The specs are certainly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back