Help Buying First Pair of Hi-Fi Headphones
Aug 29, 2002 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JimOSU

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased an Apple iPod 20gb mp3 player. After shelling out big bucks for portable music I decided its time to look into some headphones that will make my music worth all the $$ I spent on the iPod.

Despite being a music major I am very new to the Hi-Fi headphone realm. If anyone can help me choose the appropriate products I would love the help. Here are some things I think I need to consider

1. I am looking mostly at ear buds since I am looking for portability to go with my iPod.

2. Is it worth spending $150 on headphones or can I get relativly good quality for cheaper?

3. I will be purchasing a pair of custom fit ear plugs in the coming months. Anyone use ER-6s with custom ear molds?

4. I want to try and get good sound while avoiding getting a portable headphone amp.

5. Since I am a poor college student I need to buy products that will last a long time and serve multiple uses as much as possible. Headphones that can be used in multiple situations (travel, home, live mixing) would be ideal.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Rock On - Jim

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 6
ooh yeah cool if you're getting molds done at the audiologist already, you can probably score custom ety tips for just like $30. having perfect fit ety's would be really hard to beat. haven't heard of anyone doin it with er6, but you should still try to pull it off.

Aug 30, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 6
I am definitly going to try and pull off the custom ear mold ety er6 combo when i get enough money saved up.

Until then I have narrowed my choices to two categories:
Buy one set for portable situations and one set for times I need noise reduction (airplane, bus, etc)

I am thinking of Senn Mx 500s and either Senn HD 212 pro or Koss UR 30s.
I also really like what I am reading about Grado SR 60s but they dont seem to meet either of my categories.

Anyone have similar needs?
- Jim

Aug 30, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 6
The Sony MDR-V6 is an older design that still commands alot of respect on this board. They are a sealed, or semi-sealed design so they do offer some isolation and don't leak sound the way the Grado phones all do. Also, they can fold up for packing.

I have only listened to these headphones briefly but they sounded very good playing through a Corda amp. Does anyone care to comment on whether these would be a good choice for use with a portable player?

These headphones take a bit of searching on the net to find at a decent price. I understand that Graffitti sells them for $90. If you shop around on the net, I believe that they can be found for as little as $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back