Help! Beresford TC-7520 DAC or Audio-gd Compass
Oct 13, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Baird GoW

500+ Head-Fier
I know the complete story behind Beresford so please do not tell me not to get it cause he's such a scum bag.
I really would like to know which sounds better and how the DACs themselves compare to each other (in detail) and the amps too.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the Compass and definitely prefer the TC7520.

Mind explaining further?

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerboy2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind explaining further?

Would love to hear about it, too.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the Compass and definitely prefer the TC7520.

I had a hunch you would be first in on this. yes please elaborate

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Mostly synergy. The TC7520 absolutely delivers on pace, rhythm, and timing, and has a smooth quality that makes it absolutely easy to listen to- yet it still is able to communicate that Grado edge and bite, especially, when you roll the opamps. Transparency is there, attack is there, really it just does things "right". It's not the sort of tangible, "mids are slightly forward, highs are nicely extended, small lower-midbass hump" sound signature, in my mind, it's the "I'll get arthritis in my leg if it taps any more" type of synergy and presentation. In my opinion, the Beresford is a means of conveying the soul of the music, rather than an electronic signal.

Meanwhile, I felt like the Audio-GD was just a piece of equipment. It was quite a nice sounding unit, and it was excellent when we fed it into the MiniMax. But I definitely got the sense of listening to music through headphones, if you know what I mean. It didn't present bass like the Beresford does, it didn't just flow the mids into my brain like the Beresford does. I like a transparent, lively, energetic sound, and the Compass just didn't deliver for me.

I know that this isn't the usual audiophile speak and I'm not really talking in tangible terms, but this is how I feel. If there are any more specific questions I'll elaborate as best as I can.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 17
so are you saying to get the upgrade/moded beresford

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so are you saying to get the upgrade/moded beresford

I wouldn't bother with the Caiman (if that's what you're referring to). And I also wouldn't bother with Beresford NA's outrageous "upgrade service". $75 to swap in a couple LM4562NA. It is nice to roll opamps though. I really like the sound of the THS4032CD from Tirna, and the JRC4556 (not sure if you can get them anymore) is good with Grados.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 17
Anyone else have an opinion?

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't get the Compass if I am only looking for a DAC.

Im looking for a dac/amp but i want to know which ones dac is better

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im looking for a dac/amp but i want to know which ones dac is better

If it is of any indication, the maker of Compass claims that this piece of gear is more amplification than source. I personally disagree with this claim although there are other Compass users who think otherwise.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 17
bought a compass could not bring myself to buy from that sneeze ball.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest Beresfords crotch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back