Help audio noob with "small" budget!
Feb 8, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 40
So the iBassoD1 is a solid unit then? I think I'm gonna try that paired with the HD650's then.

Everyone is saying sorry for your wallet, but I haven't even spent anything yet! This stuff must be like crack
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 40
I disagree with spending your whole budget just on headphones....A laptop headphone output is mediocre at best. Once you drop your bank account on a pair of headphones you will start realizing just how lacking the laptop's built in sound is and grow quickly frustrated with your new purchase.

I would highly recommend starting with a reasonable source upgrade (DAC + AMP solution) The DAC will replace your onboard sound (make sure your OS can support USB sound). Just a few of the available solutions

- Firestone Audio Fubar III
- Meier Audio Corda 2 move
- Headroom Total Bidhead
- EMU 0404 USB

Or you can just upgrade the sound via a PCMCIA card:
- Echo Indigo Dj

For Headphones
There really isn't one specific can that can handle all types of music, regardless of what some will say. If you primarily listen to hip-hop and jazz then you will want to stick with a warmer sound signature such as the Senheisser HD 600/650. If your going to be listening more to rock and only hip-hop occasionally, A more forward in your face headphone such as the Grado SR-225 would be the best way to go.

Also you may want to read this thread on the Goldring DR150 headphones, I have never listened to them, so I will not out right recommend them.

Also FWIW, don't rush into any purchase, carefully examine what is available, what your tastes are what will ultimately work best for you. If possible track down a store you can listen to a number of different headphones, or check and see if there is a meet in your area anytime soon. There is an area here for local meets, etc.. maybe try posting and see if anyone is close to you.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #19 of 40
I’ve come up with some relatively cheap combos that sound good, save you money and they're comfortable too so here goes:

1) PA2V2 ($60) + Koss KFC-75 ($15).

2) PA2V2 ($60) + Allessandro MS1 ($99).

3) MiniBox-E+ + Yuin PK1 combo deal $249.

4) MiniBox-E+ ($179) Sony MDR-F1 ($250).

5) Little Dot MKIV (tube $300) or MKV (SS $300) Senn HD600 ($210 Amazon).

If you spend more than $200 for a phone, you’re paying for refinement rather than big improvements in sound quality.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #20 of 40
Though I am an audio noob too, I know enough to say definitly upgrade your laptops sound somehow if you are planning on spending a chunk of money on headphones because source is a big part of the audio change.

$600 is enough to buy you a set of cables or maybe about 6" of some ultra high end cable but that is for extreme setups, right off the bat 600 is quite a bit of money.

For sound upgrades you have a few options
USB (chances are will sound the best)
PCMICA/Expresscard soundcard
Optical (if you can get it from a soundcard or laptop) to a DAC

Amp is pretty much necessary for a high end headphones to make them shine
There are many to chose from both tube, solid state and hybrid

There are also some USB (and optical) DAC + AMP combos

EMU-0404 USB (mostly a DAC but it does have a amp section (good for recording if you play an instrument)
Corda2Move
Firestone FubarIII (I believe it is called)
Ibasso D1 and D2 (in the works IIRC)
(amp isnt greatest but you can roll the opamps (rolling is trying several different varieties to see what sounds best or just buy a few that others like and see what is best for you) to improve sound)

There are others but many are out of pricerange while still affording good headphones

Headphones (way too many to name)
A few choices

IEMS (If you are going to be in a noisy environment these may be smart because they will block out a ton of noise)
Examples of brands: Shure, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Etymotic

Closed headphones (block out some noise (some block out a ton some very little) block more than open headphones)

Open headphones (no sound blocking whatsoever)

Earbuds (simple enough)

Just some well known headphones you may want to lightly look into to see what sound characteristics might suit you

HD650
HD600
k701
Grados (lots of price ranges)
Dt 770 880 990
D2000

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it were me I would blow my budget on the best headphones I could get. By that I mean the whole budget
wink.gif
. Look at the Grado RS-1 or RS-2, it will mesmerize you right out of your laptop.

Later on when you have more funds, then start thinking about amplification or source upgrades.

The RS-1 or RS-2 will get you hooked into this whole Head-Fi thing. Audition a pair if you can, if not, do a little more research on them. They have a very strong following for a reason.

Welcome to Head-Fi.

This. Based on your music preferences, the Grado RS-1 should be a perfect fit. You can get a used one around $500. Yeah, it seems like a lot until you actually hear one. You'll go nuts. I'm not exaggerating, the RS-1 is one of the best.

It will run fine straight out of your laptop, too. Later, save up for a tube amp. It has to be a tube amp; you'll go crazy all over again. Then you can deal with sources, etc.

But look hard at the RS-1.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wa77ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The type of music I listen to is Hip-Hop/Rap, some Jazz, a little bit of Rock, lots of Oldies...so kind of a wide variety. I am willing to buy whatever is required, just as long as I can play them from my laptop to headphones.

From your music type i would go the sennheiser way, from my experience the grado family don't do rap and hip-hop justice. IMO you would do great to build around a pair of HD650, they upgrade with everything better you throw at them plus they are perfect for rap and jazz. It's true that they rock out less than grado but if you are mainly looking for rap jazz cans senn will blow your mind. If that would be my money i would buy something like this :
- A pair of HD650
- A iBasso D1 or the like

OR for more

-HD650
-Personus central station
-Something to output optical from your laptop

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 40
The whole idea of spending your $600 budget on a bunch of mediocre products doesnt make any sense to me. Coming from your assortment of hps, the RS-1 will be a huge step forward, even from your onboard sound card.

Quality over Quantity.

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 40
So the HD650's are mediocre? I thought the HD650's were the best Senns you can get?

Here is what you guys are forgetting, I am looking for a good setup, not to upgrade or toy with. I just want to make my purchase, and not fool with it anymore.

I know I'll probably end up buying other stuff in the long run, but I want something that I can live with for months if not a year at a time. Spending 500$~ on some RS-1 only to play from onboard audio seems even stupider than no AMP/DAC at all!

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 40
I agree with the Grado RS

I just made this same step, and I went with a home setup of the Beyerdynamic DT880 and a little dot tube amp. It's been good with all of the types of music I've thrown at it: Rock, Hard rock, techno, rap/hip-hop, pop, ambient, world, classical. Obviously not "the best," but even then, I am ignorant, and I know that's what you want. Just to be happy with something, and maybe later upgrade. Like with most things, the detail becomes evident when you start to look for it. If you just want something to sound nice/great (to your knowledge, and ears), then you'll be happy with any of these recommendations given to you. Toss a coin, a 6-sided coin, that is (hehe), and there you go.

Tyler

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

So the HD650's are mediocre? I thought the HD650's were the best Senns you can get?

Here is what you guys are forgetting, I am looking for a good setup, not to upgrade or toy with. I just want to make my purchase, and not fool with it anymore.

I know I'll probably end up buying other stuff in the long run, but I want something that I can live with for months if not a year at a time. Spending 500$~ on some RS-1 only to play from onboard audio seems even stupider than no AMP/DAC at all!

Sounds like you're being closed minded toward the Senns because that's what you've heard.

The Senn 650 are the same(as far as amping goes), if not (in my knowledge) worse.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Never meant to refer to the 650s as mediocre. What Im suggesting is thet "Yes" you will enjoy an RS-1 or RS-2 straight from your hp out for many years if you decide to. There is obviously alot of info on these board to try and digest, especially in a short time.

You really should audition the 650 and the RS-1 to hear the differences. My opinion however is the same , try the RS-1 or RS-2 .... and later on in a couple of years buy an amp if you so desire. Keep in mind that the 650 is 300 ohm while the RS-1 is 32 ohm .... you would definately need an amp if you went the 650 route.

The RS-1 or RS-2 offers you a very high quality hp, that is easy to drive, sounds fantastic, and most importantly takes alot of guess work out of the equation ..... more or less "hook and go" "no fuss no muss" situation.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #28 of 40
Well whats a good tube amp thats reasonably priced to pair with the RS-1 set?

And also, where is the cheapest place I can buy them new? I feel kinda iffy about buying used headphones. I know it might seam stupid, but its just one of those things I want unused. Thanks!

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Well whats a good tube amp thats reasonably priced to pair with the RS-1 set?

And also, where is the cheapest place I can buy them new? I feel kinda iffy about buying used headphones. I know it might seam stupid, but its just one of those things I want unused. Thanks!

Later on , when your ready ( $$ ), the Mapletree Ear Purist is top notch @ $700.00 ( tube amp ). Or solid state the Eddie Current EC/SS is also something to consider. If you dont like the idea of used the RS-2 can be had new for $470 - $495, while the RS-1 will cost roughly between $650 - $695 new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back