Help - Are these components well matched?
Oct 30, 2006 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jclinton46

100+ Head-Fier
I hesitate to ask this because I know how zealous some folks can get with their opinions.
biggrin.gif
Oh well, here goes.

I am a firm believer of the "weakest link" theory, i.e. the best sound you can expect is only equal to the lowest quality component. So I am asking for advice to ensure I have a pretty evenly matched system suitable for my music listening habits and my hearing ability.

My current equipment includes 30G 5g iPod, PortaCorda II amp, Sennheiser HD580, Etymotic ER6i and Koss PortaPro2 or Senn PX100 (My PP2 was "lost" and will be replaced with another PP2 or PX100). I listen to a wide variety of genres. Most of my listening time is low volume "background" while reading, working on the computer or some other task. The music of choice then is pop-rock, classic rock, lite jazz or country. I may crank up the volume for a cut or two so it still needs to be smooth and detailed. Serious listening usually means classical, instrumental, or jazz at a higher volume and the music is number one.

My current system combinations are:

Casual listening - when I need to stay connected to my surroundings - iPod-Koss PP2/PX100

Isolated listening - traveling or waiting in a noisy environment - iPod-ER6i

"Serious" listening - usually at home - iPod-PortaCorda II-HD580

Source music is mostly CD's ripped via iTunes to 192 Variable Bit Rate AAC, classical higher. The rest is MP3 from 128 up. (Most of 128 stuff is rock from the 50's and early 60's and I'm betting 128 is about as good as the original.)

I am looking at modding my 580 with 600 grills and 650 cable. I will also upgrade my interconnects, probably to a lineout for the amp.

Some constraints: Money is tight so I definately want the "biggest bang for the buck". I really like my HD580's. I have heard higher end phones like the HD650, L3000 and K1000 but at the time the difference was not that great to me nor worth the extra money. The iPod was a gift from the wife and daughter so it stays.

So what do you think? Are my choices fairly well matched? What are your reccomendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back