Help! Are my PortaPro2's defective?
May 13, 2004 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OniVerde

Head-Fier
I just picked up some PP2's from Circuit City for $20 (thank you Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
). I've been listening to them and I notice a hissing/buzzing sound coming from the right phone during mid-high range peaks. It is mostly from the right but sometimes from the left. This is really bugging me because I listen to alot of female vocals and it buzzes alot during most songs. Are my phones defective or do they need an amp? How do I tell?

I tried plugging them through computer speakers and my little MPIO FL100 mp3 player. I don't have an amp so can't test that. Help!
confused.gif

May 13, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by OniVerde
I just picked up some PP2's from Circuit City for $20 (thank you Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
). I've been listening to them and I notice a hissing/buzzing sound coming from the right phone during mid-high range peaks. It is mostly from the right but sometimes from the left. This is really bugging me because I listen to alot of female vocals and it buzzes alot during most songs. Are my phones defective or do they need an amp? How do I tell?

I tried plugging them through computer speakers and my little MPIO FL100 mp3 player. I don't have an amp so can't test that. Help!
confused.gif

Sounds like they are defective.

I am playing some Allison Krauss and Union Station, she has an upper register voice and with the mandolin, fiddle I think I would hear a buzxzing/hissing if it was a problem with the PP2 line. But it sound sounds good through the PP2 I have.

Equipment - Archos JBR v.2

May 13, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 6
The PP2 seem very sensitive to hisses and defects in recordings... slight chance it may be that. I'd listen to some various music and see if you only hear it in certain songs.

May 13, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 6
The song I noticed the hissing in was "Flowerstand Man" by Dido in MP3 format at 192kbs. I have noticed that if I turn the "preamp" setting down below "+0db" in Winamp the hissing disappears. What's up with that?
confused.gif

I'm going to listen to some CD's to see if I hear it.

May 13, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by OniVerde
The song I noticed the hissing in was "Flowerstand Man" by Dido in MP3 format at 192kbs. I have noticed that if I turn the "preamp" setting down below "+0db" in Winamp the hissing disappears. What's up with that?
confused.gif

The "hissing" you're hearing is digital clipping. It means the volume of the music is being pushed above the maximum that 16 bits can contain, so it distorts, resulting in a fuzzy sort of sound. It ain't the headphones, just turn the "preamp" way down (or better yet, don't use the WinAMP equalizer at all). You may still hear it anyway, because most music these days is recorded way too hot (see the link at the bottom of my .sig).

May 14, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
You may still hear it anyway, because most music these days is recorded way too hot (see the link at the bottom of my .sig).

Interesting read. Are ALL CD's mastered this way now? What about classical music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back