Help and newbie out!
Jul 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DannyVIP

Head-Fier
Hey guys been reading this forum for a while now and decided to make an account finally. I need some help with picking out a set of headphones. I am mostly going to be using these on my PC to listen to music and watch some movies. I have narrowed down the list to 5 choice's and was wondering what I should go for. I mainly listen to hiphop and some rap.
These are what I'm looking at and the prices I can get them for.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATHM50S $160[/size]

[size=1.7em] Phiaton PS 500 $160[/size]

[size=1.7em] Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 32 $165[/size]

[size=1.7em] Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 32 $160[/size]

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 9
M50's

why can't people look up reviews for once

The PS500 are for classical
and beyer for rock

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 9
M50 is decent but all you listen to is hip hop and rap... therefore I'd probably recommend you something a little more bassy. Like the Ultrasone HFI-580, Denon D1100, Audio Technica Pro700 MK2.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 9
As one newbie to another, may I suggest Creative Aurvana Live!

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA $100

They're my first good full-sized, but I've had several nice IEMs (Monster Turbines, Klipsch s4, and Sleek SA1). Probably for this reason, I'm very happy with the sound staging. I've repeatedly found myself lifting an earphone for a second to check if a sound is coming from the 'phones or not. It's usually the 'phones. 

They're less expensive than the other headphones you listed by a significant amount. They aren't collapsible, which is fine for your purposes and probably saves you money. They're exceptional for rap, though. Deep, booming, but very tight bass. Tracks that sound hollow in my car stereo turn full and tasty.

A good friend of mine has been a drummer since childhood, but has never spent more than $30 on headphones. His first comment while listening to a D&B track on these phones was "Dude, that sounds like it's coming from the other room." I agreed with him.

They were on sale for $60 when I got them. Worth twice that.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the M50 and the DT880 and I can tell you that the M50 seems to be the cans I go to all the time. The DT880 just seems dull compared to it ... good for easy music listening but no good for movies at all .. it just doesn't provide that ooomph. Nothing really stands out to be great on it. The M50 is very good music and movies. I haven't heard the DT990 but it's supposed to be more fun and have more bass... so that would probably be better than the DT880 for what you need.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I have the M50 and the DT880 and I can tell you that the M50 seems to be the cans I go to all the time. The DT880 just seems dull compared to it ... good for easy music listening but no good for movies at all .. it just doesn't provide that ooomph. Nothing really stands out to be great on it. The M50 is very good music and movies. I haven't heard the DT990 but it's supposed to be more fun and have more bass... so that would probably be better than the DT880 for what you need.

I agree with joe99, if you listen to a lot of hiphop and some rap the DT880 are probably something you'd cross off your list. They simply don't have that impact of bass that will make you feel like you're in a night club or that the bomb just exploded next to you and you're still suffering from shell shock lol. The DT880 are very detailed and let a listener really hear all the little details (which can be a bad thing if the recording sucks) but are a pair I'd buy again. Though I've never listened to the DT990 a lot of people who were unhappy with the with the lack of base from the DT880 bought the DT990 and were very happy.

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks guys I ordered a pair of PC 360 just for gaming after I read that thread on here about the gaming headsets, I didnt even get them yet and now I want a set just for music and movies for my other PC I will have the 360s connected to my gaming PC at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back