Help an old guy
Feb 27, 2007 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tjohnusa

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a progressive rock fan from the 70's and would like some suggestions on new music. My most recent fav has been Marillion but am a big fan of 70's standard prog rock bands...Yes...ELP...Genisis...etc. I feel this hobby always new fuel to keep it going so what would you suggest? Thanks in advance for your recomendations
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 28
Porcupine Tree
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
The Flower Kings
Smashing Pumpkins
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Queensryche
Fates Warning
Phish

short list.

some of 'em have relations with Marillion. some of them are prog metal.. some aren't really "prog" at all.. and some can be kind of long winded! organized in order of what i think you'd like. if you download any and like it, PM me and i'll go into greater detail, and a lot more bands... i'm a prog freak!

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 28
Cool you mentioned Porcupine Tree as I just accidentally discovered them today through itunes. Seems like a really good prog band.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 28
I have heard some Housemartins, I love The Smiths And I like Dreamtheater's prog stuff but then they go into the metal stuff and they lose me there. I have watched thier Pink Floyd covers on you tube and really liked those. Just to give you an idea of which way I lean.....Gentle Giant is my favorite band.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 28
Thelonious...have you ever heard Automatic Man's first album? Interesting mix of soul vocals with early 70's rock. PM me

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 28
if your favorite band is Gentle Giant, you will LOVE Spock's Beard and Echolyn.

here are some album recommendations:

Echolyn - As The World
Spock's Beard - The Light
The Flower Kings - Adam and Eve
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing + Stupid Dream

two albums on the last band because their older material is more experimental than the old stuff, less straightforward.

i think you'll greatly enjoy the first three for sure. Porcupine Tree can get heavy sometimes, and they're more simple than the other two, but they're pretty much my favorite band and i like to push 'em. Steven Wilson, their frontman, is a huge fan of 70s prog rock.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 28
I'm an old guy, 70's prog rock fan and grew up in SC - so maybe we'll share some new music likes
biggrin.gif

I agree with the Porcupine Tree recs, great band.

Adrian Belew recently released three very good albums: Side One, Side Two and Side Three

Tony Levin has been releasing some interesting solo albums, most recently Double Espresso and Resonator

(You might have guessed I'm a King Crimson fan - the latest Crimson albums are well worth a listen as well)

Tool is another interesting band to give a listen.

Gordion Knot and Liquid Tension Experiment are interesting.

A recommendation that's a bit of a break with the previous, David Sylvian's Blemish is a fractured, painful soundscape but very worthwhile if you like minimal, experimental music.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your favorite band is Gentle Giant, you will LOVE Spock's Beard and Echolyn.

here are some album recommendations:

Echolyn - As The World
Spock's Beard - The Light
The Flower Kings - Adam and Eve
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing + Stupid Dream

two albums on the last band because their older material is more experimental than the old stuff, less straightforward.

i think you'll greatly enjoy the first three for sure. Porcupine Tree can get heavy sometimes, and they're more simple than the other two, but they're pretty much my favorite band and i like to push 'em. Steven Wilson, their frontman, is a huge fan of 70s prog rock.

From Spocks Beard I actually prefer Feel Euphoria, I guess because it sounds a little more mainstream, but still progish. Its a good album none-the-less.

Another band worth checking out is Pain of Salvation.

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool you mentioned Porcupine Tree as I just accidentally discovered them today through itunes. Seems like a really good prog band.

If you like Porcupine Tree you have to check out Opeth Damnation. Unless your into Death Metal, stay away from Opeth's other albums, but Damnation is an excellent Prog album, comparable to Porcupine Tree.

Jim

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 28
Stepping in with a "try before you buy" recommendation for The Mars Volta. They take a lot of cues from Crimson (specifically Fripp's guitars) but their originality cannot be denied. They tread a fine line between musicality and experimentation. Their cultural influences (latin) make regular appearances in their compositions as well, which is always welcome to me.

Most folks will recommend Deloused in the Comatorium (their first LP) as their definitive work, but I disagree. It is certainly their most accessible, but since you already have a taste for prog, there's really no need to acclimate.

Just jump right in and try out Amputechture. You can avoid the hot-as-the-sun production values of Rick Rubin and experience their most ambitious title to date, and it was a serious improvement to the growing pains of Frances the Mute.

Otherwise, their whole catalogue is highly recommended.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 28
jhendri2, that's a great recommendation and I actually already have several Opeth albums. Orchid, Damnation, and Ghost Reveries are my favorite Opeth albums so far. I keep hearing about how Still Life is also one of their great ones but don't have that one yet. Oh and I absolutely love the album Damnation! I hope they come out with more stuff that is not in their usual death metal vein.

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jhendri2, that's a great recommendation and I actually already have several Opeth albums. Orchid, Damnation, and Ghost Reveries are my favorite Opeth albums so far. I keep hearing about how Still Life is also one of their great ones but don't have that one yet. Oh and I absolutely love the album Damnation! I hope they come out with more stuff that is not in their usual death metal vein.

Thanks, another good Opeth album is Blackwater Park. It has the cookie monster vocals also though.

Thelonious Monk recommended Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment (members of Dream Theater), both bands write great albums and I also highly recommend them. Dream Theater can be a little over the top at times and boring at others. Overall a very talented band though.

Jim

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 28
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will one way or another try to check them all out. New music always help to enjoy this hobby
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back