Help an old guy
Mar 1, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 28
Hammers of Misfortune - if you want something compelling outside of the tired retro/neo-prog that runs rampant through this sort of thread.

Otherwise, check out The Tangent's The Music That Died Alone... I get more enjoyment out of that than just about anything put out by the likes of Marillion and The Flower Kings.

Somebody mentioned Gordian Knot... I'll second that. Grab Emergent.

Check out Palace of Mirrors from Estradasphere. Fun.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 28
There's always pandora.com, which is great for easily discovering new music to suit your tastes. You could take some of the bands mentioned on this page as starting points, or use something you already know and love.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 28
So far I have "aquired" some Porcupine Tree...I likey...definitly something Gentle Giant might be doing if they were still around today, Liquid Tension Experiment is also very good....sound some thing like Trans Siberian Orchestra, Spock's Beard I also like...definite "prog" sound,and i have some Transatlantic which is a group of guys from Marillion and Dream Theater also very good. Still many bands to go but that is half the fun! Thanks again folks
580smile.gif
Bill where in GA do you live?

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 28
Well...let's see, I remember having to use a can opener to put those v-notches in your soda to drink it
blink.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...let's see, I remember having to use a can opener to put those v-notches in your soda to drink it
blink.gif

Did you have to use a can opener for beer? I remember the rings came off the can and people would string them together and make a rope.

Sorry, I can't offer anymore suggestions for new music than what has been said. I have gone back and filled in albums that I didn't have from older groups and found new music.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bill where in GA do you live?

I'm in Atlanta. Grew up in Upstate SC. I work on a college campus so all the younguns' introduce me to some new music.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #25 of 28
Wow this thread's priceless to me. However, about a year ago when I started my search I found many contemporary prog-rock bands just don't suit me. Surprisingly, a lot of elements I was looking for are instead found among indie bands such as Band of Horses and The Decemberists. Give these guys a try and let me know what you think. Happy listening!
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #26 of 28
I second the Decemberists and band of horses recommendations. In the case of the Decemberists i recommend "Her Majesty the Decemberists"

Also, I think you should check out the new Arcade Fire album, it should be coming out sometime in March, and their old album Funeral is very good

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #27 of 28
Yes, I recently got Band of Horses:Everything all the time and it's a great album!

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendri2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Porcupine Tree you have to check out Opeth Damnation. Unless your into Death Metal, stay away from Opeth's other albums, but Damnation is an excellent Prog album, comparable to Porcupine Tree.

Jim

x2 im a big fan of damnation
and deadwing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back