Help an audio neophyte choosing an amp?
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shinmoo

New Head-Fier
**note, I posted this elsewhere and discovered I did it in the wrong place - my double posting is completely accidental and thoroughly apologized for**

I came here a while back seeking your help in deciding upon my first set of quality headphones, and was surprised you find every last one of you astoundingly helpful and friendly, not to mention utterly devoid of the hauteur which befalls the knowledgable in nearly every field. I eventually set upon the Sennheiser HD-555s, though my wallet sternly refused to let me purchase it at the time (I settled for these).

I just ordered the HD-555s for $94, which is either impressively cheap or just much less than they were selling for when reccomended to me. I'm curious now as to what else might be required to get the most out of these phones (out of these phones, mind you, not the best sound conceivable.)

My listening is split fairly evenly between a set of Denon 151 turntables and my laptop (which, it appears, will soon sport an Echo Indigo IO to replace my current Realtek AC97).

Here's (hopefully) where you guys come in: I'm considering purchasing a headphone amp, but have my limit at $100, willing to stretch concievably (but very bitterly) to $120. Would an amp at this cost give enough of a sound difference in my HD-555s to justify paying it? What amp would you reccomend?

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Shinmoo,
I like Gary's Pocket Amp 2 (PA2V2), but I don't have the 555s. I have 595s. See his website at...

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

The amp comes with a mini to mini cable and an AC power supply. You only have to add a pair of rechargeable AA batteries. Total is under $100. And it's a nice starter amp. Someone else might know how it sounds with the 555s you have.

-Jag
cool.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll add to this one. I hope that doesn't detract from people answering the original poster, but I too am in the exact same position (almost).

I don't have any decent cans yet, but recently got some Shure E2c's. Would an amp help these at all?

BTW, Thanks for that link to that site Shinmoo. They have some nice prices there.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolen_it_Up
I used to own 555s and I don't think they really need an amp. But, for under 100, the go-vibe v4 is likely your best bet.

shinmoo, thought it might be useful to mention that headsave is now closed (go-vibe's maker)

bummer
frown.gif

i've heard the pa2v2 is nice.. and well priced to be sure. also have heard it may add bass, although apparently not to a fault. depending on your preferences, that could even be a plus
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back