HELP!!! All sr80 owners, HELP!!!! about the wires.
Aug 14, 2002 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
Is this unlucky or what?

Ive been thinking about the grados for a long time, ever since i got my sportas. Now i finally did get a pair this monday, Grado sr80 and just opened it an hour ago. used it........the sound was amazingly detailed with Bjork's Homogenic.

BUT
confused.gif
mad.gif
eek.gif
yes-- three emoticons all at once.....when i took a very close look and inspection of the phones.

When I wiggled the wires connecting the phones abit. I suddenly saw the thick wire inside (the black thick cable next to driver)are MOVING. what the *%$#??%??, my heart stopped. It was even worse when i saw that the other earcup is doing the same thing.

IS THIS SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT. Im quite desperate if this is 'suppose' to happen (like part of the grado design). This is really scaring me alot. very confusing.

Even if this is true, wouldnt this damage the wires inside????

or I should go back to the store and ask for exchange?

I bought it in San Francisco's Harmony Audio over at West Portal ave.

Aug 14, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 8
im still here, anyone online now that owns sr80?

Aug 14, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

When I wiggled the wires connecting the phones abit. I suddenly saw the thick wire inside (the black thick cable next to driver)are MOVING. what the *%$#??%??

Not to worry.......I believe the movement is normal. If it's not, then ALL my Grados are defective.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Joelongwood, a savior. thank you so so much. Your sentence there freed up some of that confusing weight off of my chest.

Now, why wouldnt Grado have the wires stay in one place like have the wire plastic tip thing in between something (like most headphones)?

still a little concerned that it'll break off.

Im still unsure, so its normal that if u push the wires in a little...........the wires move in or toward the center?

help me again. hahahhahah

thanks.

Aug 14, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
Now, why wouldnt Grado have the wires stay in one place like have the wire plastic tip thing in between something (like most headphones)?

still a little concerned that it'll break off.

Im still unsure, so its normal that if u push the wires in a little...........the wires move in or toward the center?

thanks.

Just leave the wires alone and operate the headphones in a normal fashion and everything will be OK. The 'looseness' is by design so the wires do not stress in the same spot. There is a brace attached on the wire on the inside of the cup that prevents the wire from being pulled off the back of the drivers. The wire is pretty thick and sturdy.

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 8
I have the same type of wiring in my MS1. I added couple drops of hot glue on the outside of the cup around the wire to hold the wire steady. This way, I am sure that even if I did yank on the wire, I won't be pulling it off the drivers (just pulling the glue off).

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 8
another threat to my newly bought grado, if the wires move.....in and out .....it also moves the two little wires connecting to the driver (those red and blue......or blue and white little copper lines). it looks it'll come off ....any time if i stress it.

ITS MY MISTAKE THAT I PLAYED WITH THE WIRES wiggling it around. VERY STUPID OF ME.

So to counter it, i use small strips of tape to block the wires from moving. Now the wires dont move up nor down. Hope it works out, for many years to come.

Didnt even know buying grado will pose this kind of problem. and why didnt i see any similar topics in this forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back