Help! Advice on Sub $150 Headphones Needed
May 23, 2011 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jakev0z

New Head-Fier

Hey! I just was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what headphones I should get. I am on a $150 budget.

I'm in high school, so I need something that would comfortable for 2-3 hrs, ie: doing homework, as well as being semi- noise isolating/blocking.

I also want something that I could bring to school without getting jacked, but they don't have to be super portable.

Here are some I was looking at: denon d1000, sennheiser hd 515, klipsch image one, sony mdr v6, marshall major, grado sr60i, bose ae2

Please feel free to leave suggestions or opinions! Thanks!

May 23, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 8
If you want things that you can bring to school, then basically count all the open headphones out (Grado SR60i and HD515, pretty sure the others aren't open..). What's your preferences? For me honestly, I can't stand having headphones on for more than an hour at a time. Also do you live in a cold or hot climate? Cause then if you live in a hot climate, it'll get really uncomfortable with closed headphones + leather pads :)

My recommendation honestly would be M50s (had em myself and was very satisfied with them, but got them for $120 new and they're currently $150 on Amazon), or Denon D1001s (based on my music preferences).

May 23, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 8
^Agreed, and your music preferences should play into your decision as well. Audio Technica's ATH-M50's are a mainstay around Head-Fi and I would even say you can't go wrong with them. I'm also looking for a portable pair around your price range and I've set my sights on Sennheiser's HD 25-1 II's. They sound amazing and are lightweight and durable, too.

This thread may be of interest to you: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-82-portable-headphones-reviewed-superlux-hd668b-prodipe-pro-800-added-05-15

May 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 8
@above Exactly what I'm getting next :). Needed a more portable headphone that's also rugged (I suffered a scratch on my M50s, no idea how though. Was pretty light none-the-less). The HD 25s can be had for ~$168 + free shipping if you live in the US on ebay.

May 23, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 8
@ayeveen I live in what you would consider a "mild" climate- no worries about anything overheating or freezing. Also, are the M50s comfortable for a long time?, and are the cups large enough to go around the ear completely? (I have large-ish ears for a kid, but they would probably be average adult size ears)

May 23, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 8
soundwise, HD-25's, but comfortwise, M50's

May 23, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 8
Whaaat? The HD25s are at the $150 now? Last time I checked they were $200~250...

If you get it for $150, get it. GET IT NOW. Unless of course, you prefer a over-ear, in that case the M50s sound like your headphones.

If you prefer rock over anything else, however, you can opt for the HD25. It's all about preference.

May 24, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Whaaat? The HD25s are at the $150 now? Last time I checked they were $200~250...

If you get it for $150, get it. GET IT NOW. Unless of course, you prefer a over-ear, in that case the M50s sound like your headphones.

If you prefer rock over anything else, however, you can opt for the HD25. It's all about preference.

If that's not the SP edition for 150 bucks, it's a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back