Help a Picky Guy Choose Some IEM's
Jan 10, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DMac25

New Head-Fier
What's up all, just been browsing and seems like you guys know your stuff. I'm looking for a pair of IEM's that offer versatility by providing quality sound for all types of music.

I recently bought a Shure SCL3 and was really disappointed with the lack of bass and sound clarity. I messed around with the gazillion tips that come with it and had no luck.

I definitely want to stick with an in-ear set over regular buds, and am looking to spend $100 or less. Most of the use would be for my iPod.

Any suggestions?

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 16
Under a hundred. Shure SCL4 which Shure's site claims has more bass than the SCL3 because they added a tuned port.

I have the SCL4 and they have really good bass clarity and accuracy. Some like more bass quantity. So you like gobs of bass then look else where.

I am surprised that you don't think the SCL3 have clarity. I have the SCL4 and they have really good clarity. May be Shure improved that as well as the bass.

The NE-7Ms are pretty good at $50. There are a lot of favorable reviews here.

I also like the Jays D-jays for around $100. But they might have the quantity of bass might like. They have good bass according to my tastes.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 16
Can a "Picky" Guy ever Choose Some IEM's?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That has been the whole problem with me. CX95 is one of the better canal phones.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 16
I've got the SCL3 and I can say that lack of bass is a legit beef with them -- sort of. I think with a good fit and seal the bass is fine, but not overpowering because it is balanced with the highs and very strong mids.

But if you don't like them for lack of clarity, the only thing I can say is that you probably are not getting a good seal and position with them. I also have issues with tips as my canals are very small and even the smallest hollow rubber tips put too much pressure on my ears -- but once they are properly seated and pointed straight into the canal, for me, the clarity was superb. I had to spend a good bit of time to find the optimum position for great clarity and full sound.

However, I am trying to sell mine and bump up to the SCL4 at the $80 price -- just can't beat that -- and then work to find tips that are small and comfortable for me.

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 16
Im picky as well, thats why it took me almost a year to finally make a purchase lol. I don't think you can beat the scl4 at the price of $80, even though they are on backorder at the moment.

my next purchase will likely be the sleek audio SA6, super.fi 5,(if klipsch has another awesome 1/2 off sale) x10 or custom 3. lots of choices.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 16
Now we're talkin', boys
bigsmile_face.gif
! Thanks for the replies.
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The NE-7Ms are pretty good at $50. There are a lot of favorable reviews here.

I also like the Jays D-jays for around $100. But they might have the quantity of bass might like. They have good bass according to my tastes.

I'll search out some reviews on those thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can a "Picky" Guy ever Choose Some IEM's?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That has been the whole problem with me. CX95 is one of the better canal phones.

Haha, I hear ya, man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the SCL3 and I can say that lack of bass is a legit beef with them -- sort of. I think with a good fit and seal the bass is fine, but not overpowering because it is balanced with the highs and very strong mids.

But if you don't like them for lack of clarity, the only thing I can say is that you probably are not getting a good seal and position with them. I also have issues with tips as my canals are very small and even the smallest hollow rubber tips put too much pressure on my ears -- but once they are properly seated and pointed straight into the canal, for me, the clarity was superb. I had to spend a good bit of time to find the optimum position for great clarity and full sound.

However, I am trying to sell mine and bump up to the SCL4 at the $80 price -- just can't beat that -- and then work to find tips that are small and comfortable for me.

I think that's my problem; I may just have ear canals that somehow are incompatible with the SCL3 tips. I tried all of them in multiple positions and couldn't find a good fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibson5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im picky as well, thats why it took me almost a year to finally make a purchase lol. I don't think you can beat the scl4 at the price of $80, even though they are on backorder at the moment.

my next purchase will likely be the sleek audio SA6, super.fi 5,(if klipsch has another awesome 1/2 off sale) x10 or custom 3. lots of choices.

I've heard Klipsch mentioned a lot around here. Do you have experience with the Image or just the Custom?

Also, what do you guys think about the Sennheiser CX-300's?

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowghost6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
120 US? The er6i usually goes for around 75. And they have less bass than the Shure scl4.

Damn, I'll scratch that off the list then. Anyone on the Sennheiser's?

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 16
Any dual driver will be good, one of the drivers will be a subwoofer, so that'll give you more bass.
Example
Klipsch Custom 2 and 3
Westone um2 and 3
Shure se310 and Up (not saying anything about my impression)
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB and up
I'd go for Custom 2 or 3. if you like that style, go for something that'll give you a good fit.

But for 100 dollars, you won't go anywhere with bass that the Shure's won't give you. Maybe Klipsch Custom 1 will help you out with bass and money. I'd put another 30-50 down and get a dual driver.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 16
With the CX300s, you'll have the bass at the cost of detail and clarity. And the microphonics is a b-tch. For under $100, my vote goes to Denon C551. If you can find 751 for around $100, grab that instead. Slightly less bass, but better SQ overall. The $80 SCL4 deal sounds pretty darned good too, but I have no experience with those.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Sennheiser CX series is very bass heavy if you like bass, but they don't have amazing clarity, at least not the cheaper models in the series. Never used the higher end ones, just up to 400.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But for 100 dollars, you won't go anywhere with bass that the Shure's won't give you. Maybe Klipsch Custom 1 will help you out with bass and money. I'd put another 30-50 down and get a dual driver.

Custom-1's bass response is a bit restraint. I would not recommend it for anyone seeking bass quantity.

If bass is your thing and your budget is less than $100, then go for either Denon or Sennheiser. Do avoid the CX 300 if you can help it. They are cheap and the bass is plenty, but the clarity is disappointing. The CX 95 is a couple of steps up over the CX 300 and is worth it if you can find it for less than RRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back