Help a noob pick headphones! HE-400i?
Jun 23, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #31 of 47
  Magni is too entry level for me. I'd like to throw somewhere between $300-600 at this (taxes included. In Canadian dollars)
Also I'd prefer solid state amps if possible. These headphones are more than warm enough as it is. I can't be bothered buying replacement tubes. I really can't.

The Gustard H10 is fantastic paired with the 400i, no need for EQ
blink.gif
, and is in the lower part of your budget.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #32 of 47
  I don't do parametric EQ. Long story. Anyways, I already have a $500+ DAC, a TEAC UD 301. So I don't need a dac just a straight amp.

I mentioned EQ because you said "These headphones are more than warm enough as it is.", implying that you would like them to be less warm. There's no reason not to use EQ if your goal is to change the sound. You can also modify the headphones, which is a quite common thing for HIFIMAN owners to do. The one I owned had the grill mod, which, among other things, expands the soundstage.

It is important not to waste your money on things that do not improve sound quality. A more expensive amp or DAC may sound better, but on the other hand, it may end up sounding the same as a much less expensive one. This is why it is crucial to compare components properly. You can't exactly do that if you blow all your money on the most expensive thing you can afford. Just a thought.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 47
  I dont mind warmth. I just don't like it in excess. I said they were more than warm enough meaning they have achieved the warmth thing to my satisfaction. Not that they were TOO warm. :)

Okay, but warm enough would mean warm to the point of satisfaction, whereas more than warm enough would mean too warm, if taken literally.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #35 of 47

Okay, but warm enough would mean warm to the point of satisfaction, whereas more than warm enough would mean too warm, if taken literally.

Not really, dude. Haven't you ever heard anybody say things like "You've been more than kind to me". It doesn't mean TOO kind, just really kind. It's all in the context. Most things in language are not meant to be taken at face value :wink:

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #36 of 47
  Not really, dude. Haven't you ever heard anybody say things like "You've been more than kind to me". It doesn't mean TOO kind, just really kind. It's all in the context. Most things in language are not meant to be taken at face value :wink:

Insufficient data. Does not compute.
tongue.gif

But yeah, I know about the other meaning too. I just take things literally by default regardless. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to compare those two headphones and get the one you liked more. I was pretty sure your preferences would align with mine.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #37 of 47
  Magni is too entry level for me. I'd like to throw somewhere between $300-600 at this (taxes included. In Canadian dollars)
Also I'd prefer solid state amps if possible. These headphones are more than warm enough as it is. I can't be bothered buying replacement tubes. I really can't.

perhaps consider the new liquid carbon at the $599 price point. getting a bit of buzz around here recently.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #41 of 47
Fantastic you got on the tour.
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #44 of 47
As somebody in a similar boat, I must slightly hijack this thread.

I am a very big metalhead. I listen to everything ranging from rock to deathmetal, mostly metalcore.
I've had the HE-400's, and now have the HE-400i's.
Personally, I found the HE-400's were better for metal. Their sound signature was slightly more fun. The treble was too harsh, which the HE-400i's seem to fix.
Now that's just me, I don't really like the "up-front" sound the mids present on the HE-400i's. I've never heard the HD650's, but many tell me they sound quite similar to those. You may really like that. The soundstage is also much smaller, it makes me personally feel claustrophobic coming from the wide-open HE-400s

I would have kept the HE-400's, but the headband was uncomfortable, and everytime it is remtotely bent, it changed my sense of positional audio. It knocked the L/R sense off balance, which drove me crazy.
Same happened with the DT990, HE-400, and now even the HE-400i. If you bend the top metal headband of the 400is even on accident, it changes the position of the audio, and I cannot bend it back to the center. It's an eternal struggle of mine. I may have to return/sell them, as I find myself not even enjoying music anymore because the off-center positional audio drives me so crazy. I've even contemplated just going to IEMs where this issue won't exist...

Now I must ask, what else should I try. I'm thinking of getting some headphones that cannot possibly be bent out of shape, like the K702, but I am in love with the Planar Magnetic and Open Back Sound. I like the V-shaped sound signature. What headphones do you persoanlly best recommend for metal that you've had or listened to? 

I see you've owned a multitude of headphones. What are your impressions of the HD700? Seeing it's sound signature graphs, it seems very similar to the HE-400 and DT990/880. Is it a slightly colder headphone, or did it seem warmer like the HE-400i or HD650? Also how is their sound stage?
My main concern is those puny 40mm drivers... And nobody I know who's purchased them has kept them...
I'm not really ready to give up the space and accuracy that planar magnetic drivers give. I see no other open-back planar magnetics with non-bendable structure on the market though. I am tired of overly fragile constructions. There are no solid-looking constructions better than my HE-400i's on the market expect the Oppo PM series, which is closed back and not as good as Hifiman's.
Not sure where to go from here now, as I'm quite unhappy with the He-400i's sound not staying center and the small sound stage, but I can't go back to the He-400's even worse headband and discomfort :/

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #45 of 47
  As somebody in a similar boat, I must slightly hijack this thread.

I am a very big metalhead. I listen to everything ranging from rock to deathmetal, mostly metalcore.
I've had the HE-400's, and now have the HE-400i's.
Personally, I found the HE-400's were better for metal. Their sound signature was slightly more fun. The treble was too harsh, which the HE-400i's seem to fix.
Now that's just me, I don't really like the "up-front" sound the mids present on the HE-400i's. I've never heard the HD650's, but many tell me they sound quite similar to those. You may really like that. The soundstage is also much smaller, it makes me personally feel claustrophobic coming from the wide-open HE-400s

I would have kept the HE-400's, but the headband was uncomfortable, and everytime it is remtotely bent, it changed my sense of positional audio. It knocked the L/R sense off balance, which drove me crazy.
Same happened with the DT990, HE-400, and now even the HE-400i. If you bend the top metal headband of the 400is even on accident, it changes the position of the audio, and I cannot bend it back to the center. It's an eternal struggle of mine. I may have to return/sell them, as I find myself not even enjoying music anymore because the off-center positional audio drives me so crazy. I've even contemplated just going to IEMs where this issue won't exist...

Now I must ask, what else should I try. I'm thinking of getting some headphones that cannot possibly be bent out of shape, like the K702, but I am in love with the Planar Magnetic and Open Back Sound. I like the V-shaped sound signature. What headphones do you persoanlly best recommend for metal that you've had or listened to? 

I see you've owned a multitude of headphones. What are your impressions of the HD700? Seeing it's sound signature graphs, it seems very similar to the HE-400 and DT990/880. Is it a slightly colder headphone, or did it seem warmer like the HE-400i or HD650? Also how is their sound stage?
My main concern is those puny 40mm drivers... And nobody I know who's purchased them has kept them...
I'm not really ready to give up the space and accuracy that planar magnetic drivers give. I see no other open-back planar magnetics with non-bendable structure on the market though. I am tired of overly fragile constructions. There are no solid-looking constructions better than my HE-400i's on the market expect the Oppo PM series, which is closed back and not as good as Hifiman's.
Not sure where to go from here now, as I'm quite unhappy with the He-400i's sound not staying center and the small sound stage, but I can't go back to the He-400's even worse headband and discomfort :/

Um...I'm going to assume some of this post was directed at me, although you did not properly quote or tag me.

Anyway, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

I dislike the HD 700 and do not recommend it, especially for the price. It has bright, nasty treble (which ironically did not bother me) and an otherwise somewhat muffled sound...or at least the one I owned did. Soundstage was a little larger than most headphones, but I don't care about soundstage. Even the HD 800 sounded only slightly larger in terms of soundstage than other headphones. Speakers and live performances have soundstages that are so much larger than headphones it's ridiculous.

No idea what is going on with your bending thing. I've never had that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back