Help a metalhead find grab-and-go headphones please
May 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
Huge metalhead here. I'm into all metal, death, thrash, doom, black (all real metal, which discludes nu/core metal). I'm looking for a suitable portable headphone. I'm currently focused on two headphones, the Sennheiser Momentum and V-Moda M100. I already have nice at home headphones (the AKG K240), which are for home use only. They're alright, but I want headphones for on the go too. 

I'm looking for: 

Headphones suitable for metal
Isolation
Replaceable cable
suitable for long listening sessions (not too bright and fatiguing soundwise)
Also suitable for other forms of music (all kinds of music)
Un-amped
Circumaural

I don't want to over pay, and I don't want to sell myself short. I'm looking at around 300 dollars spending limit, perhaps more if there's a be all end all of headphones just a little bit higher (I can spare an allowance or two). I'd like to spend less than that though, maybe around 200. I just want to find something I like.

May 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 26
If you were able to find any, I would recommend dbi Pro 700s, but unfortunately there don't seem to be any.

They're my go-to on-the -go headphones right now, it's a shame there don't seem to be any

May 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:
If you were able to find any, I would recommend dbi Pro 700s, but unfortunately there don't seem to be any.

They're my go-to on-the -go headphones right now, it's a shame there don't seem to be any

Be any what?

May 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 26
One that's commonly recommended and has a balanced, forward sound are Sony MDR-V6s

They work pretty well for metal and can be powered well out of an ipod, and are nice and portable (they even fold up).

May 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
One that's commonly recommended and has a balanced, forward sound are Sony MDR-V6s

They work pretty well for metal and can be powered well out of an ipod, and are nice and portable (they even fold up).

That fold up feature is cool, but isn't the cord a little long? I was kind of hoping I could have a headphones I could just take with me places. Like a grab and go kind of thing.

Edited out originally, but relevant: I tried taking the AKG K240 outside and it was a miserable failure. I ended up listening to traffic and wind instead of music.

May 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 26
Haha yeah, not one of the k240s strongpoints, but the V6s do isolate pretty well though.

May 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 26

I like to use this chart as a reference, which I found here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12#post_5828504 -. It appears that the audio technica M50 is ranked pretty high, and it's cheap. It has that huge cable though. I read here - http://thrashmag.com/2011/04/29/metal-cans-the-perfect-headphones-for-metal-listeners/ - that they're good for metal too. This guy also said the sennheiser hd25 was good for metal and I disagreed, but for 100 dollars you can't really go wrong.

May 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 26
IMO m50s are terrible for metal with recessed mids, for me, there actually aren't that many redeeming qualities about m50s

I'd say the V6s would work better

May 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
IMO m50s are terrible for metal with recessed mids, for me, there actually aren't that many redeeming qualities about m50s

I'd say the V6s would work better

Looks like a decent option. I could spare an allowance to check out the V6. Is there a version with a straight cable so I can braid it? There's no way I'm taking a big awkward coiled cable around with me.

Edit: Apparently there isn't a straight cable version. This is saddening :frowning2:

May 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 26
I wonder if it's possible to braid a coiled cable. That would probably straighten it out over time, and make it less of a burden. 

May 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 26
I'm thinking about going for the sony V6 on amazon used for 40 dollars. Is it a good idea to get them used? I'd love to save 20 bucks on amazon. However, I don't want to sell myself short. I'm going to take a 40 dollar gamble that I can braid a coiled cable.

May 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 26
I cancelled my order for the Sony V6 because I decided the coiled cable wouldn't work for me. I'm considering the Sony MDRZX700. Can anyone speak for it's appropriateness for metal compared to the V6? I'm thinking if there's a good monitoring headphone with straight cable, and foldable and over ear isolating that would be perfect. Unfortunately the only headphones that meet that criteria are the audio technica ath-m50 and I've been told those aren't good for metal.

How about the Shure SRH440? That's foldable, has a detachable cable, and you can order a straight cable. It's closed too. Can anyone speak to it's appropriateness for metal music though? Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back