help a clueless portable audio newbie please
Mar 25, 2002 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dighn

New Head-Fier
hi

i'm want to get a new cd player but i'm not sure which one to get b/c there are so many! i want good sound quality and i dont' want to spend over about $130 on this ($200 canadian). could spend more if its worth it though.

i heard that a lot of pepole recommend the Panasonic CT-470 but I can't find it at the stores. maybe it's an older model? anyway does anyone know anything about the SLCT 489V? you can look at its specs here: specs for SL CT-489V

I looked through the Panasonic models in this catalogue (all canadian prices) and that seems to be the best one for its price. Does anyone know how the Shockwave line compare to the CT?

and then there's sony but again I have no clue b/c they have so many models!

please help choose one (sound quality is important) thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. please don't flame me if i did something that i'm not supposed to do.

Mar 25, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 12
Nah. I wouldn't trust a PCDP with a built-in radio. On most PCDPs with built-in radios, the radio itself is of mediocre quality at best, and adding that feature may degrade the sound quality of the PCDP itself.

Mar 25, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 12
ok thanks i'll go find a cd player without built in radio then
smily_headphones1.gif

could someone recommend one in the price range that can play CD-Rs?

how about the Panasonic SL CT-780
or the Sony DEJ725 or DMJ-95 ? anyway since i heard the CT470 has really good sound quality so i want something that has a sound quality same or similar as that but sound quality isn't something you find on the spec sheet... please help
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 12
plus you might get some really good prices when retailers try to get get rid of the old stuff. i remember the sl-ct 470 that you mentioned was going for $90 cdn when seller were switching to newer models.

Mar 26, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 12
ive been wanting to ask, what does PCDP mean?

Mar 26, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 12
is that so, it sounded so complicated at first.

thanks, if thats what it trully means.

Mar 27, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by RRX
i'm pretty sure it means

P-ortable
C-ompact
D-isc
P-layer

I know it as 'Personal CD Player'... not all of the original PCDPs were portable... but, they were all personal, because you needed to use earphones to listen to them, although this is by no means to take any merit away from RRX, because we're probably both right... and its down to what YOU as a user wants to call them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back