Helmets - speakers or canalphones?
Apr 29, 2004 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Snake

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello fellow riders and canalphone users!
biggrin.gif
I have some questions.

Have any riders tried any of the helmet speakers? How are they with foam earplugs?

The main question is should I use canalphones (the Shures probably; the added warmth will overcome wind roar) or helmet speakers. My two concerns are, in order:

(a) wind isolation. I can't stand riding without foam plugs, so do canalphones isolate to that level?

(b) decent sound. I'm not looking for miracles
wink.gif
just an OK sound here. Will canalphones isolate enough, or conversely will helmet speakers sound decent while I am still wearing foam plugs (volume mostly).

I tried button-style and while the sound was "OK" (wind roar killed some bottom end) they just didn't isolate enough (too noisey for me personally, I like quiet) and they were a royal pain to keep located while I put the helmet on. Do canalphones fit well enough to stay under a helmet, comfortably?

The Ety 4 (P I think?) therefore sounds like it is out of the contention because of the cable microphonics problem (which will be huge at speed).

(Did I get that model / problem right?).

Adequate volume when driven only by a normal source (no amp) would be a pleasant bonus. I can set up an amp inside my tank bag, no problem, but it just adds complexity and cost. Another set of controls to mess around with.

Thanks loads!
etysmile.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 9
The shures can use foam plugs, so the isolation will be comparable to just using foam plugs, I'd say.

The sound on them is really good for the price, and judging by what you're saying you'll settle for they'll impress you.

They fit well, and although I can't say I've tried helmet speakers I can say these will do the trick.

Apr 29, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 9
I guy I used to work with modded his helmet. He put speakers in there and had a 1/8" jack in the helmet, so he could run a wire inside his suit to his player which he had in a pack that held onto the fuel tank with strong magnets. He wore earplugs too. I have no idea if he could ever hear anything around him, but he's still alive today, so I imagine it works for him.

-Ed

Apr 30, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
How about these?
biggrin.gif

I think that those qualify as a helmet in some states! Only problem is the wind noise!

Apr 30, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks all
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
The shures can use foam plugs, so the isolation will be comparable to just using foam plugs, I'd say.

The sound on them is really good for the price, and judging by what you're saying you'll settle for they'll impress you.

I'll settle, for at 90MPH wind roar kills any ideas of "audiophile" quality dead, dead, dead. Even if someone made $6000 canalphones, better than anything else in the world, they would still end up sounding like c!#p at speed.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks for the tip on the Shures.
lambda.gif

Foam earplugs give 29db of attenuation, do you think the Shures are around that?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I guy I used to work with modded his helmet. He put speakers in there and had a 1/8" jack in the helmet, so he could run a wire inside his suit to his player which he had in a pack that held onto the fuel tank with strong magnets. He wore earplugs too. I have no idea if he could ever hear anything around him, but he's still alive today, so I imagine it works for him.

My helmet already has pockets for speakers; just put them in. I tried the buttonphone route when I had a different helmet, an Arai Renegade - a supremely comfy helmet that was, really, quite noisy. This helmet is quieter. So I know how things sound doing this, kinda, but trying for not so pain in the bum.

I can hear people talk with foam plugs on under my helmet, it's just all muted.

Sometimes I wish I could go around in life with those things on.
tongue.gif

Did you coworker ever mention how well it worked? At a certain speed does it get drowned out? (I, um...travel, um...fast
rolleyes.gif
You've gotta in order to not get run over where I live!). I hope to do the same thing your coworker did, put the player in my tank bag. My tank bag is pretty cool and would work perfect for this; it has a seperate, lower section, away from the main section, that even came with a chunk of closed-cell foam to be cut out to suit any preference of use you want. So I can fit a player and an amp if need be, but I'm hoping to avoid an amp. I tried the audio test with a Sony Sports Discman and my Panny 2-way buttons and it sounded good but wasn't very loud. At 65MPH the volume was just below a modest "normal" when the player was completely topped out. But maybe that's a good thing, this way I didn't damage my hearing playing too loud.

That's why I'm thinking speakers and plugs. I think the speakers may end up sounding like s!#t but at least I'll keep my hearing intact. If the canals don't isolate to the level I want (need, really) I'll end up killing my hearing for sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
How about these

A chinstrap option was talked about...
tongue.gif
!
Quote:

Originally Posted by pspivak
I think that those qualify as a helmet in some states! Only problem is the wind noise!

I bet you they'll pass the DOT test! Hahaha.
biggrin.gif
Pad the chin strap and they'll pass Snell!!
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 9
I ride with shure E2s all the time and i can hear engine noise at 16k rpm plus but little or no wind noise. If you have a great problem with wind noise perhaps you should look into another helmet... I use an arai and have no problems with wind but if i use the KBC i bought for my girlfriend its hideously noisy.

Theres no way id ride with a modified helmet... some guy a while ago was talking about putting a pair of hd25s sans headband in his helmet which is just insane, theyd go right through your skull if you came off.

I think the E2s are a better option than etymotics because of the way they sit in your ear rather than poking out at a funny angle like er4s seem to. When you've got the foam of the helmet pressing against your ear you can't have something sticking out or its just going to get driven further and further in... not to mention getting the helmet on in the first place without tearing your earcanal a new opening.

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 9
i don't see how the ety's (at least the er-4's) could be worn under a helmet. i don't think that'd be possible.

the e3's do not stick out as much, but still stick out.

the e5's would be your best bet, since they do not stick out at all, however they do produce miracles, and in doing such they ring up a hefty price tag.

if you're willing to pay, especially for that "warm" sound, the e5's will deliver, bigtime.

i don't ride btw, in fact i hardly ever get out. i often just sit on the counter and make toast.

Apr 30, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
I ride with shure E2s all the time and i can hear engine noise at 16k rpm plus but little or no wind noise. If you have a great problem with wind noise perhaps you should look into another helmet... I use an arai and have no problems with wind but if i use the KBC i bought for my girlfriend its hideously noisy.

Thanks! That sounds promising, E2's. I'll have to check them out.

My current lid is not that noisy (it's a HJC), while my prior Arai was quite noisy. It's just I've gotten used to riding with plugs - it's so wonderful and peaceful, not being deafened all the time. I just ride alot and my commute to work is about 65 miles, around 1 hr 20 minutes. Time x speed x noise volume = one unhappy reptile here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
Theres no way id ride with a modified helmet... some guy a while ago was talking about putting a pair of hd25s sans headband in his helmet which is just insane, theyd go right through your skull if you came off.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the best idea! This HJC helmet already has speaker pockets integrated into the liner, so no mods necessary.
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
i don't ride btw, in fact i hardly ever get out. i often just sit on the counter and make toast.

Thanks for all those tips, toaster22. Don't worry, make toast. Toast will save the world!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back