Helm Bolt DAC / AMP discussion + impressions
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Effigy

100+ Head-Fier
Helm just came through on their promise to get their Bolt DAC/AMP out the door and in my hands. Max credit to Helm for living up to their commitments.

How I roll for initial listening:
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- Helm Bolt DAC AMP using USB A converter provided
- Apple USB Camera connector
- Sennheiser 58x Jubilee, Phillips Fidelio X2HR and Meze 12 Classic v2 with replacement foam ear tips
- Roon using Tidal as a source and Tidal app as a direct source

Initial impressions:
  1. I find the sound profile almost dead neutral. I don't get the sense of anything being dominant or recessed as a result of the DAC. Lows, mids and highs all come across closer to what sounds "flat", but not lifeless, which surprisingly changed very little given the Meze's more v shaped profile, but very respectably for the Fidelio based on the same profile.
  2. The sound is clean but not clinical.
  3. Imaging and soundstage are precise and evident, especially with the 58x and Fidelio, which you would expect from open backs. Sound sources are distinct and readily discernable by channel with a sense of location in space. The Fidelios' ability to separate and isolate in a way that is clean and bright really pops on the Bolt.
  4. There is zero indication of anything that would resemble background noise, hissing, or clipping. This kind of thing makes me personally want to launch DAC/AMPS into orbit to float around with the other space junk.
  5. No audible clicks or noises on changing of bitrate (looking at you ifi Zen DAC...)
  6. Amplification is solid. I never felt like there was a lack of energy to give the music body using the x58, the Fidelios or Meze 12 Classic.
  7. Roon on iOS immediately recognized the DAC, as did Tidal. Full lossless end to end using Tidal as a source. As advertised.
  8. The Bolt gets slightly warm after about a 1/2 hour of play time.
  9. I have noticed my battery on the phone drains faster. This is expected, but the rate is not unreasonable.
I think this DAC/AMP combo will satisfy the listener who appreciates and wants as a pure sound as you can get (mobile) at a very reasonable price. Listening to Post Malone "Circles" and Fleetwood Mac (Rumors... the whole damn thing) was just magic.

I will say that if you are looking for the DAC/AMP to add additional character by way of some kind EQ to the sound, you should look elsewhere. This is so neutral and clean that at times I felt myself wanting a bit oomph on the low end. If the track is recorded with a solid low end, its all good and translates well without being overbearing. As an example, Dua Lipa’s “Don’t Stop Now” punches like Mike Tyson with smooth, clean lows.

I think this is where the ifi hip-dac (as an example) will satisfy as a more appropriate alternative. Given the minor price difference and the features (balanced out, xbass) if you fall into that camp, its an option. The hip-dac is nowhere near as small in terms of form factor, so the give and take becomes obvious.

This is a massive step over iOS native audio. (Duh...)

ANOMOLIES:
  1. When the DAC is converting MQA from Roon or Tidal on lossless, the LED is magenta, as expected, BUT, when I go to take a picture with the camera app, the LED indicator turns BLUE... even though a lossless track with full MQA is rendering (as best as I can tell.) When I turn off the camera app, the LED turns Magenta again. I had to take a photo of the LED using a separate app (FOCOS)
  2. Interruptions in Roon when a notification is received are common - the music is interrupted rather than the notification message playing OVER the music. This is likely a Roon problem. (I've just never hit it before.)
ISSUES:

My specific unit came with a frayed cable. Minor, and maybe I'm just a picky jerk... but disappointing. I have asked Helm how they deal with this. I get it. Manufacturing at speed leads to defects. That said, this is one purchase I have been really REALLY wanting to be solid as its time to get outdoors and run (keeping distance of course! :wink:)

IF I WAS A REVIEWER....

I would say its worth it as a purchase, provided the product doesn't have any defects as mine does. Form factor, clarity, imaging and a neutral/true sound profile all come though as massive audiophile audio enthusiast level improvements to enhance the mobile experience. The price is reasonable for the upgrade and will you keep you listening happily for at least the next couple of years - hopefully Apple doesn't eliminate any/all ports on their devices.

———

Update - literally within an hour, Helm staff have responded and have acknowledged that the frayed cable is unacceptable in a way that is transparent and demonstrates care for the customer. They have just earned a repeat buyer. That kind of respect and ownership is so rare that it’s almost worthy of its own post and is ridiculously impressive. DAMN RIGHT, HELM! SO DAMN GOOD! Keep killing it!

20210415_181523894_iOS.jpg
20210415_171926000_iOS.png
20210415_170117336_iOS.jpg
20210415_183442066_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Also STRONGLY recommend the ddHiFi TC28i when connecting to iOS devices using the lightning connector (Just picked it up) It cleans up the cable dongle mess of having to run the Bolt into the USB C to A converter and then into the Apple/Other USB A to lightning connector. It also deals with the heat better, as this thing is largely metal. This would also apply to the new THX Onyx, which works the same way as the Bolt does and comes with the same USB C to A converter.

Picked the idea from this review:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/03/review-helm-audio-bolt/

You can grab it on AliExpress at the following link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002275865070.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.a9b14c4dRPnYTk

20210421_153453170_iOS.jpg
20210421_160950442_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 11
So, after what amounts to a 1/2 day of normal use in total, there is more fraying around the seam where the cable sleeve meets the upper part of the cable. In fact, it’s coming apart and music stops playing as there are disconnects.

8820ADD8-1E36-41B1-80D6-57468D739DBF.jpeg

This is REALLY unfortunate and super disappointing. I have not at all been abusive with this dongle - super light wear and tear in the house under conditions where the DAC is almost entirely not moving.

Helm is already sending a replacement based on previously noted fraying... I am really hoping it’s more resilient than what I received on this round. They are clearly supportive and genuinely demonstrated care for my problem... I really like the company. It would be disappointing to have seek a total refund.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 11
any comparison with other dongle ?

May 4, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 11
So, after what amounts to a 1/2 day of normal use in total, there is more fraying around the seam where the cable sleeve meets the upper part of the cable. In fact, it’s coming apart and music stops playing as there are disconnects.

This is REALLY unfortunate and super disappointing. I have not at all been abusive with this dongle - super light wear and tear in the house under conditions where the DAC is almost entirely not moving.

Helm is already sending a replacement based on previously noted fraying... I am really hoping it’s more resilient than what I received on this round. They are clearly supportive and genuinely demonstrated care for my problem... I really like the company. It would be disappointing to have seek a total refund.
Well, after a few weeks of waiting, the replacement arrived. It looks much more effectively assembled than its predecessor.

20210505_000752332_iOS.jpg

I will test it over the coming days and post an update. The sound quality is known to me, but the durability is now in question.

May 9, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Well, after a few weeks of waiting, the replacement arrived. It looks much more effectively assembled than its predecessor.

20210505_000752332_iOS.jpg
I will test it over the coming days and post an update. The sound quality is known to me, but the durability is now in question.
So far so good. The Helm Bolt seems to be holding up, although I am admittedly treating it gently. The cables don't look that well attached to the housing of either the USB-C connector or the DAC chip/headphone casing.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 11
So far so good. The Helm Bolt seems to be holding up, although I am admittedly treating it gently. The cables don't look that well attached to the housing of either the USB-C connector or the DAC chip/headphone casing.
3 month update.

This dongle is... well.. flimsy. the new one is fraying, and quite frankly has been left at my desk in my office, as it is unlikely to fray if not moved.

I do not recommend this as a buy if you intend to place it normally in your pocket with expected wear and tear. It is ill equipped for the use case it is marketed for. It sounds really nice - clean, quick and fairly neutral with surprisingly good imaging (likely the sabre DAC) but is way to fragile. I have had two now, and both are disappointingly poorly put together.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 11

So the cable on new devices are ok now?
Or is it better to order an earmean eagle with the same chip?ES9280PRO/ES9281PRO MQA

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 11

Its not an anomaly, have had one for several months, there is now a gap of about 1/4" inch. Basically they didn't allow for any play, so cover sleeve detaches over time
as the cable is repetitively bent. But never any issues with it working, just cosmetics.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Overall I think the Helm Bolt is a good device, really pairs well with my different headphones and I prefer it over a Chord Mojo used with
Audeze Sine, better bass texture, treble clarity. If they come out with a battery powered version that can give me the oomph the Mojo's battery provides,
I'll buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back