Hello & Sennheiser/Schiit Question
Jun 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TrojanRB

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

Longtime lurker, finally joined! Hello from Los Angeles, CA

I recently made the decision to upgrade my headphones from Sennheiser 280's to 650's, and it has caused me to rethink the rest of my setup! I'm mostly a vinyl listener, but might branch out into some FLAC from my computer as well.

Current:
Audio Technica LP120 turntable (with phono/line switch output) to old Yamaha RX-495 receiver, using the phono input and "pure direct" setting, straight into my Sennheisers (old HD280, new 650).

After much research (for a noobie), I've settled on Schiit (I think), for their value, proximity to me, and made in USA quality.

My thought on new setup is this:

Valhalla 2 amp, fed by Sys 2 input switch/preamp, with the Bifast DAC/computer into Input1, and my turntable into Input2.

Does this make sense? All Schiit components. I didn't see a way to continue using my Yamaha receiver.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Makes sense to me. :)

But isn't this your receiver's back plate?

If so, it has two sets of audio outs (one listed under AV out) that it would seem you could hook the headphone amp up to. I'd get the DAC and amp first, then see if you need the SYS 2. Especially if you have speakers you are occasionally using with the receiver.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the response. Mine is quite a bit older (mid/late 90's).

Apparently I don't have permission to post a pic yet!

Opppss...I got that pic from a google search, and looks like it may be the wrong one then.

Do you have the older model with the tape inputs and outputs? If so, you can hook the headphone amp up to a tape out.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, I've got an older one with Phono, CD, Aux, and Tape 1/2 RCA inputs.

Lost you with using the Tape outputs...Valhalla 2 only has 1 input, so I don't see a good way to use receiver and route two inputs through it...no RCA out. Just two sets of speaker wire outputs and 1/4" jack

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 8
The tape out on a receiver is just a line out. Hook the headphone amp to that, and then either (a) your receiver will send whatever you are listening to (what goes to the speakers) to the tape out or (b) it will have some kind of record switch to select what is sent to the tape out.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Yes, I've got an older one with Phono, CD, Aux, and Tape 1/2 RCA inputs.

Lost you with using the Tape outputs...Valhalla 2 only has 1 input, so I don't see a good way to use receiver and route two inputs through it...no RCA out. Just two sets of speaker wire outputs and 1/4" jack

A receiver's tape or "Rec" output basically routs any input into it out to that. So if you have the TT hooked up to the receiver, and then some digital source hooked up to the receiver, then the analog line out from both can be send out through the Rec out. If your receiver is the same as the one below (cel4145 added a "V" I think and got the HT receiver), then it actually has two Rec outputs right next to the Tape inputs.

In any case, are you still going to really use the Yamaha receiver to drive speakers? There are other solutions, just not necessarily Schiit. There are some amps designed to drive both speakers and headphones,and these usually come in integrated amp-size chassis so you also get a lot more inputs than on desktop-size headphone amps and new compact speaker amps. The Schiit Ragnarok is a little expensive but there's the AudioGD Precision 1 for $600, then you can just get the Schiit Modi2 to decode digital audio; get a phono preamp (in case you were using the one in the Yamaha) for around $100 (I think Schiit has one), and you're at around $800+shipping - not much more than you originally planned. Also, with 16watts output at 40ohms and 90watts output at 8ohms you can use pretty much anything on that (although there's the Precision 2 with a dual mono topology designed for current-hungry speakers). 

BTW in case you really prefer the peace of mind with Schiit they have a huge amp like those AudioGDs - the Ragnarok - but it costs more than the Precision 2.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Hello All,

Longtime lurker, finally joined! Hello from Los Angeles, CA

I recently made the decision to upgrade my headphones from Sennheiser 280's to 650's, and it has caused me to rethink the rest of my setup! I'm mostly a vinyl listener, but might branch out into some FLAC from my computer as well.

Current:
Audio Technica LP120 turntable (with phono/line switch output) to old Yamaha RX-495 receiver, using the phono input and "pure direct" setting, straight into my Sennheisers (old HD280, new 650).

After much research (for a noobie), I've settled on Schiit (I think), for their value, proximity to me, and made in USA quality.

My thought on new setup is this:

Valhalla 2 amp, fed by Sys 2 input switch/preamp, with the Bifast DAC/computer into Input1, and my turntable into Input2.

Does this make sense? All Schiit components. I didn't see a way to continue using my Yamaha receiver.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

You could get an old Apple TV, and a used $20. monitor. These are great to use as a media server. They can be found with 160gb drives, and you can fill it with AIFF files, run the digital out to your Schist. and you'll have a very hiend head phone set up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-TV-1st-Gen-Digital-Media-Streamer-160GB-/181849692212?hash=item2a57161834

Users who are viewing this thread

Back