Hello new world!
Jan 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

leafer

New Head-Fier
I confess...two weeks ago I had no idea. Not a clue such things existed. Such sexy, curvy and beautiful plastic/metal listening things. :D In fact I have never put on a pair of good 'cans' in my life but that's about to change no thanks to all of you (more on this later). I'm a jogger and have been buying cheap earbuds, 5 dollars, for the past few year and as some of you know, these don't last more than a month. Usually one of the earbuds die then the other I'm guessing from the sweat. Then a month or so ago I had an epiphany - The bulb started flashing and the bell went ding, ding.. I simply must up the ante and spend 15 dollars on a pair of Philips "sports earbuds" that have been calling me out. (I work in a 3rd world country so fifteen dollars is a lot of moolah.)

This last pair lasted two weeks having suffered the usual dead earbud and I 'once again' jog with music in one ear and I really, really hate that. Long stoty short, a few weeks ago a co-worker and I were talking about a movie and out of the blue he said, hey, they sell fake beats in Patong beach and they sounded really good. I had no idea what the heck it was and he told me it's Beats by Dre. Oh! No, I still didn't know. So I went on line to see what this Beats by Dre looked like and, well, they didn't and still don't appeal to me. I honestly cannot remember how, when and why I started looking into headphones but I did and then I found Grado which brought me here.

So, no thanks to you all, I am hooked and I still have no clue why I'm about to spend more than I ever would have on a pair of headphones. Sighs... Well, I think it may be because in the recess of my mind, I have always wanted a pair of headphones for watching movies because I can barely hear the dialog from my speakers though I could with my 5-dollar earbuds. Well, guys, I've been lurking and reading up on full-sized headphones for roughly two weeks, and here's my dilemma.

For jogging: Obviously I want them to last at least a year. :D
  1. Philips ActionFit SHQ4000/28 Neckband
  2. Philips Rich Bass Neckband SHS5200/28
  3. Sennheiser PMX 680 Sports Earbud

For movies, music, writing and gaming: I only play DCS Flight simulator - I play no other games at all.

1. Grado Prestige Series SR-60i
  2. Tony Bennett TBSE1 or Koss ProDJ100 (considering Koss because though I love the silver back on the Bennett, I'm no fan of his)
  3. AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio

Like I've mentioned, I make 3rd world wages so I can't afford anything above 50 bucks and the Grado is really pushing it, but I love that it's made in the U.S. Also, thanks to head-fi (you guys) I know the difference between closed and open headphones, and I'd prefer closed back as I live in a small apartment with a wife and two kids, so I'd like to be in my own little world when I write. Yes, I've read up on Momoprice, and they are well within my price range, but I don't want Chinese copycats.

Appreciate all advice coming and again, no thanks to each and every single one of you for now I have been breathing headphones for the past weeks. :D

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 7
What about movies? I know I'm stretching the capabilities from a pair under 80 dollars, but it would be nice if it can handle dialog in movies just as good. I watch movies on my computer and as mentioned I have the most difficult time hearing dialog when using speakers.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
What about movies? I know I'm stretching the capabilities from a pair under 80 dollars, but it would be nice if it can handle dialog in movies just as good. I watch movies on my computer and as mentioned I have the most difficult time hearing dialog when using speakers.

They have enough bass to be fun to listen to movies but really not sure how they do with vocals/dialogue.

Comfort is a concern with them, thought you should know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back