Hello new member and a DIY audio enthusiast, I have a question about gaming headset upgrades.
May 31, 2015 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Yepvegas

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a Turtle Beach X0One Stereo Gaming Headset. Curios what upgrades can I do to improve the sound quality. They sound decent but they are on the boomy side and the mid and highs are lacking. This is my first pair of head phones and I will use these to learn and enter the hobby.

I will use these for gaming, watching TV or a movie after the wife goes to sleep. I will also use them at work when I need to get lost in music and tackle complex project designs and for work. The mic is removable.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who games and wants a good sounding set of cans.

Budget, I picked up the headphones for 54 and want to keep the upgrades to about 40 bucks and not have to use a preamp.

Thank you kindly in advance for any help or suggestions.:wink:

May 31, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Since these are USB headphones, not a lot you can do to upgrade the sound.

Some people have been successful with some headphones at using blue tack (the putty for putting posters on walls) inside the cups to calm resonance and the bass:

If it didn't work to your satisfaction, you could always take it back out again. But I have done it on two different budget headphones where the bass was a bit boomy, and it did help.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 6
Also stuffing the cups (behind the driver) with cotton balls should dampen the bass if its still too much.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for the feedback. The headphones do have a 3.5mm Jack that plugs into the controller. And the mic has the same. Does that expand my options? The putty idea is interesting how thick should it be? I am not sure I understand the cotton ball technique.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 6
A thin layer of putt, maybe the thickness of a penny at most. My understanding is that the main effect of the putty is to help dampen any bass resonance--helps to smooth it out a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back