hello! i want to make friends here !
Jun 14, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #16 of 42
Your typed English is quite good.

At least you aren't using Babelfish, but that makes conversation funny.

"Esteem the water-drainage corks!"
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #21 of 42
Welcome, Windforce!

Quote:

Originally Posted by windforce
who can tell me the meanings ?

Babelfish
Here is a good old Howdy Do to you windforce.
Esteem the water-drainage corks

I'll give it a shot
wink.gif

1. Moderators are people who regulate and maintain forums. They make sure things don't get out of line. Here, they're like really cool super-heroes that keep head-fi safe and working,,

2. A babelfish is a type of fish that you put into your ear which will translate a foreign language into your own. They don't quite exist here on earth, however, so the only thing closest to it is Alta-Vista's "Babelfish Translation Service" which can be found here: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

3. "Howdy Do?" -> 'How are you?' or Hello

4. (I don't know this one)

There we go...man..I take the fun out of everything....

edit: oh...you might want to refer to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for more info on the babelfish
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #23 of 42
Welcome windforce, stick around here long enough and you won't needing to carry a wallet around as there won't be enough money to fill it with. I can speak a Cantonese but I can't read or write it.
frown.gif
Sure wish I had the time and patience to learn to write and read it.

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Welcome windforce, stick around here long enough and you won't needing to carry a wallet around as there won't be enough money to fill it with. I can speak a Cantonese but I can't read or write it.
frown.gif
Sure wish I had the time and patience to learn to write and read it.

I guess " Cantonese " is the south China's accent. Something like the HONGKONG's, is it ? I live in the north China, even me myself can't understand
Cantonese, although it is Chinese too
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
the Chinese language is very hard to learn......but I think Chinese is beautiful and efficiency!

btw: If I use wrong English, please tell me the right one !

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by windforce
who can tell me the meanings ?
Esteem the water-drainage corks

It's an inside joke, This site takes text you enter, translates it back and forth to four or five languages and then spits out the text in the original English. Except that after that many translations it doesn't look like the text you entered to begin. "Esteem the water-drainage corks" is the text that would appear when you entered "I love headphones." I see they've tweaked it a bit though now so it returns "J'aime of the water-drainage corks" which is even stranger since J'aime is French, but at least it is "I love".

EDIT - Grammatical errors

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #26 of 42
«C®q¬O¤@³B¦n¦a¤è(traditional chinese big5)...

hello windforce...nice to see some chinese speaking folks over here...we have lots of chinese/cantonese members right? i only know lojay and joe bloggs...

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 42
Welcome to Head-Fi, windforce
biggrin.gif

I speak Cantonese... badly
tongue.gif
Cantonese and Mandarin are almost entirely different languages. I hope to learn both correctly some day
600smile.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Welcome to Head-Fi, windforce
biggrin.gif

I speak Cantonese... badly
tongue.gif
Cantonese and Mandarin are almost entirely different languages. I hope to learn both correctly some day
600smile.gif

They just sound different. The core of them are pretty much the same.

Jun 15, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 42
Thank you gpalmer, I know it. Infact, the Chinese poem can't translate to any other language AT ALL ! For eg,
君不见黄河之水天上来,
奔流到海不复回。
君不见高堂明镜悲白发,
朝如青丝暮成雪。
人生得意须尽欢,
莫使金樽空对月。
天生我材必有用,
千金散尽还复来。
……

I'm sure nobody can translate such things.
cool.gif
You can get the meanings, but all the beautiful things of Chinese poem lost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back