Hello! I am new. Looking for a new set of headphones.
Nov 18, 2017 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KeepingMyselfAlive

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone thanks for the help.

Im looking for a new set of headphones. I'd really like to get something that has active noise cancelling but its not a make or break feature for me. If I have to pick I'd rather have a better sound quality than noise cancelling but It is a important feature to me. I have owned a set of Bose AE2 (discontinued) for the better part of 18 years. Before the AE2 I had the similar model before that.

I listen to a LOT of music and use these with my computer for gaming as well.

Budget: $130 max

Source: Gaming PC and music

Isolation: Closed back required. Prefer closed back and Active Noise Cancelling.

Headphones in Public?: No

Preferred Type of Headphone: Full-sized, closed back.

Preferred Tonal Balance: I like heavy bass but prefer overall sound quality to this.

Past Headphones: Bose AE2 and it's predecessor (16+ years)

Preferred Music: Classical Cello/Orchestra, Metal, Rock, Oldies, (everything), Rap, EDM,

What I'd like from my set-up: A nice large set of headphones with good sound quality, good bass, and good noise isolation because my music station (my computer) is in my living room.

Headphones I'm Considering: Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, Audio Technica ATH-ANC9

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 4
I feel like active noise cancelling is hard to come by for 130 unless you poke around on the used market. I don't really know much about them only that if I ever got a pair I would save up for the Bose QC35's (sacrilege I know). But the ATH-M40x's are a great choice, my roommate has them and they sound good. I personally had a pair of Sony MDR 7506's for years and years before I upgraded and they served me well and are bulletproof. They're definitely transparent, almost too transparent and they can get a bit fatiguing, but if you like a wide range of music, these will fit in well for not much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back