Hello from Virginia
Jan 7, 2017 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Natitude

New Head-Fier
Hello all from Hampton roads area of Virginia. I'm just getting into this audio addiction. I started with getting a Sansui SR 232 turntable and some B&W 330i's powered by a Luxman r- 113 receiver about three months ago. After tinkering with it for about a month I wanted a set of headphones to listen to my music. So I got some Grado SR 80i's. Only thing I've done to them is the quarter mod to the stock pads and now I'm thinking of adding some wooden cups to them. I love these cans!! Amazing what I've been missing in my music all these years. I feel like I was robbed all that time. I'm staring to play with the idea of either getting a new receiver for more power to drive my cans and speakers or going the tube amp route. Being new to this I just don't know which would be better in long run and better for sound quality.

Anyways, I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning from anyone that's willing to take the time to help! Enjoy your weekend!

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello all from Hampton roads area of Virginia. I'm just getting into this audio addiction. I started with getting a Sansui SR 232 turntable and some B&W 330i's powered by a Luxman r- 113 receiver about three months ago. After tinkering with it for about a month I wanted a set of headphones to listen to my music. So I got some Grado SR 80i's. Only thing I've done to them is the quarter mod to the stock pads and now I'm thinking of adding some wooden cups to them. I love these cans!! Amazing what I've been missing in my music all these years. I feel like I was robbed all that time. I'm staring to play with the idea of either getting a new receiver for more power to drive my cans and speakers or going the tube amp route. Being new to this I just don't know which would be better in long run and better for sound quality.

Anyways, I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning from anyone that's willing to take the time to help! Enjoy your weekend!
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet. Love the area spent a little over 4 years there while in the Navy in the late 80's.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 12

The whole tube vs.solid state thing is really a matter of personal preference, as you probably know. This is compounded by the fact that not all solid state amps are sterile and not all tube amps are warm. There is a whole universe of options out there. The best way we at head-fi can help you is by knowing what specific gear you are looking at (eg., tube headphone amps, or open headphones) and what price range you are looking to be in. Then we can collectively generate a list for you of some options. That's pretty much how it
works. Welcome to head-fi! I'm sure we'll be seeing you around these boards.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 12
The whole tube vs.solid state thing is really a matter of personal preference, as you probably know. This is compounded by the fact that not all solid state amps are sterile and not all tube amps are warm. There is a whole universe of options out there. The best way we at head-fi can help you is by knowing what specific gear you are looking at (eg., tube headphone amps, or open headphones) and what price range you are looking to be in. Then we can collectively generate a list for you of some options. That's pretty much how it
works. Welcome to head-fi! I'm sure we'll be seeing you around these boards.

First, thanks for welcome! To be honest with you I have no idea where to begin with the amps. I'm drawn to the tube amps because I like the warm sound, but like you mentioned, not all tube amps are warm. So, I'm really open to any and all suggestions. The one thing I know I'd like is an amp that will drive my receiver as well as my headphones... if that's possible? Price range, I can't spend too much... I'd say $200-$300. I'm not looking to buy tomorrow, so I'm willing to wait til I'm positive on what I want. Hope this helps and again thanks!

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 12
First, thanks for welcome! To be honest with you I have no idea where to begin with the amps. I'm drawn to the tube amps because I like the warm sound, but like you mentioned, not all tube amps are warm. So, I'm really open to any and all suggestions. The one thing I know I'd like is an amp that will drive my receiver as well as my headphones... if that's possible? Price range, I can't spend too much... I'd say $200-$300. I'm not looking to buy tomorrow, so I'm willing to wait til I'm positive on what I want. Hope this helps and again thanks!
You can run a tube amp to a receiver if the amp has a preamp output.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 12
You can run a tube amp to a receiver if the amp has a preamp output.

Gotcha. So the amp will need a output for the receiver and then one for the headphones? Sorry, I know this is probably very basic stuff. I just want to make sure I understand it all. What are some brands you'd recommend me starting to look at ?

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 12
Grado 80i doesnt even need an amp,so whatever juice your Luxman is giving them is plenty....Im venturing to guess the bass response is very present?

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 12
Bass is very present with them. I just wasn't sure if I was missing anything by not having them run through an amp. I see so many running dedicated amps for their headphones I just wasn't sure.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 12
Bass is very present with them. I just wasn't sure if I was missing anything by not having them run through an amp. I see so many running dedicated amps for their headphones I just wasn't sure.

Youre not missing anything.

If youre wanting to look into harder to drive(low sensitivity)headphones then yes an amp would be an improvement,but Grados dont need much to get em going...

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Audio is a very subjective thing. I have headphones that don't need a amp but I think they sound better with one. I could probably be happy without one but I have one so I'm going to use it. I think a amp just gives just more dynamics to the music without just being louder. Never owned a pair of Grados but have heard a few and so far the GS 1000's were my favorite so airy and light sweet to me. Yep most Grados don't need a amp but I bet they would respond fairly well with one. As I'm writing this I'm listening to a demo pair of Meze 99 Classics right out of my iPhone 6S with Tidal feeding me some funk Parliament to be for sure and they rock . So no amp is fine but I like one but fine either way.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Audio is a very subjective thing. I have headphones that don't need a amp but I think they sound better with one. I could probably be happy without one but I have one so I'm going to use it. I think a amp just gives just more dynamics to the music without just being louder. Never owned a pair of Grados but have heard a few and so far the GS 1000's were my favorite so airy and light sweet to me. Yep most Grados don't need a amp but I bet they would respond fairly well with one. As I'm writing this I'm listening to a demo pair of Meze 99 Classics right out of my iPhone 6S with Tidal feeding me some funk Parliament to be for sure and they rock . So no amp is fine but I like one but fine either way.

I totally agree that even easy to drive headphones become more "alive" with amping,but his receiver is enough to drive cans like Grados and prolly up to HD600s even.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 12

I totally agree that even easy to drive headphones become more "alive" with amping,but his receiver is enough to drive cans like Grados and prolly up to HD600s even.

So with that, what are some good amps I could look at to power both the receiver and the grado's? If there's something to gain from adding one...I want:grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back