Hello from India! and a little help with AMPs
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RedViper

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am from a little town in the middle of India and am very happy to be here. I suspect my audio journey has only just begun and I very much look forward to learning on here. I have two questions I would like to ask.

I recently upgraded to a pair of Samson SR850s. They did not blow me away or anything but I did appreciate the difference from the regular earphones that come with smartphones these days which is what I have primarily used. In that sense they are most definitely an upgrade. However, both on my phone and and laptop I seem to be maxed out on volume or near there. So my question is would a headphone amp like the Fioo A1 make a significant difference for a 32 Ohm headphone like the SR850?

Also would the A1 or something like the Behringer Micromon MA400 be a better choice for the SR850. There's also the Behringer HA400 and I honestly can't tell the difference from the MA400. There was also this product: HiFi Headphone Amplifier. Any insights would be deeply appreciated.

The second question is regarding an old pair of speakers Aiwa SX-NS94. I think these were bought in 96-97. They used to have a centre deck with dual cassette players and 3 CD player system in between.Those were the days. Such fun copying from one tape deck to the other. Much different from copying MP3s. Also Mixtapes! Speakers look like this,if that helps:

2548792-400_0.jpg

They haven't been used for a while and I want to buy an amp for them to be able to use them. Strangely not much about them online. The only details I found was a sticker on the back with the model number and Impedance 6 Ohms mentioned. Uploaded a photo here: https://imgur.com/a/1Ppaz7r

Trouble is I cannot Figure out what amp to buy for these. Amazon.in does not seem to have reasonable choices. There seem to weird choices like this Barry John or significantly more expensive ones which are outside my budget. I do not want anything fancy, just something that will make it operational will do for now.

I did initially hope I could get just one amp for the speakers and hopefully use the headphone out for the headphones. But that seems like not just a great idea. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

Cheers!

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Jun 25, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Thankyou for the help PurpleAngel.

I'm new so forgive me if this is obvious but so that I understand you correctly, you are saying that the FiiO E10K would be able to drive the big Aiwa speakers too? I don't think they have any sort of amp built in. Would not speakers require more watts?

Also the A1 and the MA400 are not worth considering?

Sadly, the E10K isn't available here at the moment. Could only find this renewed option.

I learnt about impedance and sensitivity just last week, mostly by reading here actually.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Thankyou for the help PurpleAngel.

I'm new so forgive me if this is obvious but so that I understand you correctly, you are saying that the FiiO E10K would be able to drive the big Aiwa speakers too? I don't think they have any sort of amp built in. Would not speakers require more watts?

Also the A1 and the MA400 are not worth considering?

Sadly, the E10K isn't available here at the moment. Could only find this renewed option.

I learnt about impedance and sensitivity just last week, mostly by reading here actually.
You would still need a separate speaker amplifier, but you could connect that amplifier to the E10K's line-output jack (not headphone jack).
So you would just be using the E10k's DAC function (but not the head amp feature), with the speaker amplifier.

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, to update the E10K isn't available in India at the moment. Might not be for a while yet.

I did however find the amplifier and speaker specs after much searching:

Aiwa NSX -S94 Amplifier and Speaker Details.png

Does that mean these would perform best with 180W into 6 Ohms?

Could they be powered by something like these bluetooth power amplifiers? : https://www.amazon.in/Douk-Audio-Bl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AFDPJQX7GG3A7XPBQE1C

Since it has a headphone out as well, would it potentially solve both problems ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back