Hello from a lurker
Feb 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ibs63

100+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to post a hello.  I've been lurking for a couple of months and learned a lot from the various threads.  As a result, I have spent way too much money on gear and realized I should probably sign up to be a full fledged member since I seem to have caught the addiction within 4 months.  I now have 12 headphones and 8 iems of various price ranges and have spent some hours in shops trying to demo.  I guess it is always good to admit you have a problem in order to stop the madness.
Lastly,  I also realized it seems that this forum needed some more estrogen to offset all of the testosterone around here.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 19
Welcome. I'd say, "Sorry about your wallet," except it isn't nice (and maybe it's too late).

What sort of music do you listen to?

What are your favorite headphones?

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 19
So far my favorites are the Sony MDR 7520 the Sony MA 900.  I also love the Sennheiser Amperior and Noontec Zoro.  Still working on the IEMs.

I listen to Classical (all kinds including opera), Jazz (all kinds), World music (all kinds), Acoustic folk (favorite is guitar), Rock (especially psychedelic, classic, alternative), Dance (House: Deep, Afro House, Ambient, Down tempo - all kinds really but not the current techno badly produced junk; classics - disco, funk, etc.), New Age.   My tastes are varied and eclectic depending on my mood. I also just started dabbling in DJing as my husband is a Classics DJ (Classic House, Disco, Hustle, Dance).   What about you? 

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 19
I pretty much listen only to classical, a lot of solo organ and piano. But sometimes I get the urge to hear some old thrash metal. 

I don't have a favorite pair anymore, but several that I enjoy. K501 for piano and vocals; SR80i for organ, chamber music, and metal; and T50RP as an all rounder. My romantic partner (female) listens to prog rock on Koss clip ons. I wanted to buy her a Fostex mod for Christmas, but she likes the small size of the Kosses.

Given your varied musical interests, you should look at some of the threads in the Members' Lounge. There are some social threads there too. Post a dozen times so you can get your profile filled in. The Members' Lounge is a good place for that.

What do you and your husband use for DJing? The Amperior?

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 19
I'll check out the lounge thanks.   I use the Pioneer HDJ 500 my IPAD Air and the Wego (1).  I'm a maverick like that.  My husband (whose been DJing for over 30 years) is using a custom stick made by a friend of his (He used to use the Technics 1200 - build quality horrible). and is old school CDs and sometimes vinyl (he stopped wanting to carry vinyl a while ago).  He also had a record label and did producing in the 90's.   BTW, even though he has been into music for years he think's I am insane and is definitely not into collecting headphones like me.  His $ weakness is CDs, vinyl and going into the studio to remix/produce. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 19
This fellow, http://www.customcans.co.uk/, did some worthy custom paint jobs and cabling on DJ models including some Pioneers (HDJ2000).

I used to collect CDs. I didn't start with headphones till more recently.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 19
Welcome to the forums dude! I would skip the T50RP, at least 75% of the people, who own this pair, have modded it. It really doesn't get that great of reviews unless its modded and to me that's a dead giveaway of a headphone to skip. I too started lurking these forums, but back in 2001.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 19
@ Claritas I saw the custom cans site.  Wow, really nice cans. BTW do you like the SR80i?  I have read a lot of complaints of poor quality build on the Grados.  That makes me hesitant to buy one.  I bought a PX100 ii instead (based on Inner Fidelity's wall of Fame).  Great headphone.

@ Byrnie Modding is not really on my radar at all.  I would be too nervous about ruining something.  I think the only "mods" I will be doing are comply tips, earpad changes, maybe a new cable when an old one breaks, and removing the FTF pad in my Marshall Monitor headphones (which I really like as well).  

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 19
  @ Claritas I saw the custom cans site.  Wow, really nice cans. BTW do you like the SR80i?  I have read a lot of complaints of poor quality build on the Grados.  That makes me hesitant to buy one.  I bought a PX100 ii instead (based on Inner Fidelity's wall of Fame).  Great headphone.

@ Byrnie Modding is not really on my radar at all.  I would be too nervous about ruining something.  I think the only "mods" I will be doing are comply tips, earpad changes, maybe a new cable when an old one breaks, and removing the FTF pad in my Marshall Monitor headphones (which I really like as well).  

Yea I hear I'm not a modder either.  Do you find the 7520's fatiguing at all?  I remember reading some people's saying that about them so I'm curious if you feel the same way 

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 19
 Do you find the 7520's fatiguing at all?  I remember reading some people's saying that about them so I'm curious if you feel the same way 

I don't find them fatiguing, but I love clarity.  I listen to them for hours at a time.  I have to take them off only when my ears get too sweaty or I need a break from the headband/earpads.   I like to listen to the Marshall Monitors as well since they are clear but more laid back.   The MA 900's are so lite and comfortable that I would sleep with them if I could do so without crushing them.  

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 19
  I saw the custom cans site.  Wow, really nice cans. BTW do you like the SR80i?  I have read a lot of complaints of poor quality build on the Grados.  That makes me hesitant to buy one.  I bought a PX100 ii instead (based on Inner Fidelity's wall of Fame).  Great headphone.

Yes, I enjoy SR80i a lot. I've listened to all of the SRs and most of the others, but I bought 80i because it plays organ works marginally better than 225i. Grados were designed to make guitars sound great. Actually, that's not the whole truth: Joe Grado designed the HP1000 for opera, and John designed the rest for jazz and rock. The build quality is an issue in only one respect, which can be easily remedied. The stock headband is very thin and hurts your head, so I bought an aftermarket headband from Turbulent Labs. They're still not the most comfortable, but completely acceptable. In fact, I modded 80i a little more yesterday by stripping the drivers (http://www.head-fi.org/t/508459/sr60-mod#post_6871747), which marginally improved clarity and openness with maybe the slightest increase in treble. I'm glad you like PX100-ii. Many cheaper Senns are overlooked, but their engineers are very thorough. I don't have much time at work to listen to music, but I use PX200-ii there.

Internal modding (tuning) is an art and requires a lot of patience to obtain worthwhile results. I truly admire the hard work and musical good sense of such top modders as BMF (http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements) and ZMF (http://www.zmfheadphones.com/). I don't have the patience to do too much of it myself. Stock T50RP is interesting only if one has never heard a planar but it's unlikely to impress many for long, especially the loose rolled-off bass. I prefer a bass light sound so it suits me for very casual listening.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 19
My problem with the T50RP is I can't spend money on a headphone that I have to mod to make it sound good. To me it should sound good for its price point and not require any mods. To each his own of course and maybe I'm the minority here.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 19
My problem with the T50RP is I can't spend money on a headphone that I have to mod to make it sound good. To me it should sound good for its price point and not require any mods. To each his own of course and maybe I'm the minority here.

You're in the majority, but for a different reason. The simple fact is that almost no one has even tried stock Fostex. I brought mine to a meet, and experienced listeners wanted to hear them because they'd never actually heard stock. I would not recommend stock unless the person is broke but still badly wants a planar. But pre-modded is completely different matter, and I can enthusiastically recommend them depending on what the person is looking for. For example, ZMF v1 is a sensible alternative to HE500 and HD650 when one requires isolation.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 19
 I enjoy SR80i a lot. I've listened to all of the SRs and most of the others, but I bought 80i because it plays organ works marginally better than 225i. Grados were designed to make guitars sound great. Actually, that's not the whole truth: Joe Grado designed the HP1000 for opera, and John designed the rest for jazz and rock. The build quality is an issue in only one respect, which can be easily remedied. The stock headband is very thin and hurts your head, so I bought an aftermarket headband from Turbulent Labs. They're still not the most comfortable, but completely acceptable. In fact, I modded 80i a little more yesterday by stripping the drivers (http://www.head-fi.org/t/508459/sr60-mod#post_6871747), which marginally improved clarity and openness with maybe the slightest increase in treble. 

I may have to try the Grados now.  My wallet is not thanking you.  
wink_face.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 19
  I may have to try the Grados now.  My wallet is not thanking you.  
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif
  And if you don't like it, you can get most of your money back by selling here. Make sure to save the box.

Edit: make a profile when you can because it's friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back