Hello from a former Lurker
Feb 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ibs63

100+ Head-Fier
Another member mentioned I should post my hello here so:

Just wanted to post a hello.  I've been lurking for a couple of months and learned a lot from the various threads.  As a result, I have spent way too much money on gear and realized I should probably sign up to be a full fledged member since I seem to have caught the addiction within 4 months.  I now have 12 headphones and 8 iems of various price ranges and have spent some hours in shops trying to demo.  I guess it is always good to admit you have a problem in order to stop the madness.
Lastly,  I also realized it seems that this forum needed some more estrogen to offset all of the testosterone around here.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 16
  Another member mentioned I should post my hello here so:

Just wanted to post a hello.  I've been lurking for a couple of months and learned a lot from the various threads.  As a result, I have spent way too much money on gear and realized I should probably sign up to be a full fledged member since I seem to have caught the addiction within 4 months.  I now have 12 headphones and 8 iems of various price ranges and have spent some hours in shops trying to demo.  I guess it is always good to admit you have a problem in order to stop the madness.
Lastly,  I also realized it seems that this forum needed some more estrogen to offset all of the testosterone around here.
bigsmile_face.gif

Hello there !
beerchug.gif

I guess that "our" motto does not really apply to you since you've already spent a lot but,

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet !

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 16
Welcome to the club and thank you for joining! What are your favorites so far?

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 16
 Welcome to the club and thank you for joining! What are your favorites so far?

So far my favorites are the Sony MDR 7520 the Sony MA 900.  I also love the Sennheiser Amperior, Marshall Monitor, PX100ii and Marshall Monitor.  Still working on the IEMs.

The music I listen to is Classical (all kinds including opera), Jazz (all kinds), World music (all kinds), Acoustic folk (favorite is guitar), Rock (especially psychedelic, classic, alternative), Dance (House: Deep, Afro House, Ambient, Down tempo - all kinds really but not the current techno badly produced junk; classics - disco, funk, etc.), New Age.   My tastes are varied and eclectic depending on my mood. I also just started dabbling in DJing as my husband is a Classics DJ (Classic House, Disco, Hustle, Dance).

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 16

So far my favorites are the Sony MDR 7520 the Sony MA 900.  I also love the Sennheiser Amperior, Marshall Monitor, PX100ii and Marshall Monitor.  Still working on the IEMs.

The music I listen to is Classical (all kinds including opera), Jazz (all kinds), World music (all kinds), Acoustic folk (favorite is guitar), Rock (especially psychedelic, classic, alternative), Dance (House: Deep, Afro House, Ambient, Down tempo - all kinds really but not the current techno badly produced junk; classics - disco, funk, etc.), New Age.   My tastes are varied and eclectic depending on my mood. I also just started dabbling in DJing as my husband is a Classics DJ (Classic House, Disco, Hustle, Dance).

Nice taste in music, very similar to mine :)
I have the Amperiors too and I do like them for their overall SQ and features. For IEMs good with classical/jazz/rock, it's really tough to beat the HifiMan RE-400 for $99. I think you would be pleasantly surprised. The VSonic GR-07BE (Bass Edition) is great for EDM, somewhere around $150 i think. Awesome cable too. Both are incredibly comfortable with decent isolation as well.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 16
    I now have 12 headphones and 8 iems of various price ranges and have spent some hours in shops trying to demo. 

Welcome on board!  Your purchasing behavior seems to indicate you are already a member in good standing.  :)

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 16
 For IEMs good with classical/jazz/rock, it's really tough to beat the HifiMan RE-400 for $99. I think you would be pleasantly surprised. The VSonic GR-07BE (Bass Edition) is great for EDM, somewhere around $150 i think. Awesome cable too. Both are incredibly comfortable with decent isolation as well.

I will have to try the RE-400.  I just bought 2 VSonic's GR-02 BE and VSD1 as well as a few others to try.  Thanks for the recommendations though.  

On EDM: I have to say i have mixed feelings about current EDM.  No offense, but I really cannot stand the majority of what comes out under the EDM genre.  I do like some of Deadmau's tracks so I guess it depends.   I am not really a super high energy techno person and I find many tracks released under EDM fall into that style.   In dance music I like melodic, deep, trancy, funky, soulful, ambient, afro, jazzy, world, rhythmic house styles or classics (70's disco, funk, r/b ,80's new wave, smooth jazzy rap), etc.  I find a lot of  modern EDM and pop R&B are quickly and poorly produced to make $ and are harsh to listen to.

Your purchasing behavior seems to indicate you are already a member in good standing.  :)

My purchasing behavior has caused my husband to think I am crazy.  i feel like it is Christmas every time a get a new package. I have to make sure I don't become a headphone hoarder!   

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 16
  I will have to try the RE-400.  I just bought 2 VSonic's GR-02 BE and VSD1 as well as a few others to try.  Thanks for the recommendations though.  

On EDM: I have to say i have mixed feelings about current EDM.  No offense, but I really cannot stand the majority of what comes out under the EDM genre.  I do like some of Deadmau's tracks so I guess it depends.   I am not really a super high energy techno person and I find many tracks released under EDM fall into that style.   In dance music I like melodic, deep, trancy, funky, soulful, ambient, afro, jazzy, world, rhythmic house styles or classics (70's disco, funk, r/b ,80's new wave, smooth jazzy rap), etc.  I find a lot of  modern EDM and pop R&B are quickly and poorly produced to make $ and are harsh to listen to.

My purchasing behavior has caused my husband to think I am crazy.  i feel like it is Christmas every time a get a new package. I have to make sure I don't become a headphone hoarder!   

Yeah I am more of a downtempo/ambient/deep person myself. I used the term EDM merely as a catch all phrase for brevity 
tongue.gif

Most headphone lovers will find that 2-4 is really all you need, so maybe sell the others except your most favorite 1-2 and move higher up the chain. Like monopoly, trade 5 houses for 1 hotel 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 16
 Most headphone lovers will find that 2-4 is really all you need, so maybe sell the others except your most favorite 1-2 and move higher up the chain. Like monopoly, trade 5 houses for 1 hotel 
biggrin.gif

LOL.  I am always greedy in Monopoly and want to keep it all!  That's why I am afraid I'll become a headphone hoarder.   
L3000.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 16

LOL.  I am always greedy in Monopoly and want to keep it all!  That's why I am afraid I'll become a headphone hoarder.   
L3000.gif

Hehehehe. Maybe let your hubby wrap some up as presents for the family then when you're away so you have room for more 
tongue.gif

Be sure to tell him your least favorites though!

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 16
 let your hubby wrap some up as presents for the family then when you're away so you have room for more 

That's a thought.  I justified my purchase by saying I would share with him, but he really doesn't use them.  I think I just need to plan on moving in a couple of months so I can have a separate closet. LOL.  

Given the quality of entertainment on TLC maybe I can pitch a new TV show: "Hoarders: Audiophile/Headphone Enthusiasts Edition".  All kidding aside, I did see a video on You Tube a couple of months ago about an audiophile club (I think they were in Crete) that was crazy.  They spent so much money and built such ridiculous systems that they could have all bought houses or went on multiple trips around the world with the money.  The funny part was the expressions on all of their wives faces.  Sort of pissed and beaten down at the same time. Like they knew they were married to crazy people.

Edited: Found it! It was Greece  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs&noredirect=1

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 16
  That's a thought.  I justified my purchase by saying I would share with him, but he really doesn't use them.  I think I just need to plan on moving in a couple of months so I can have a separate closet. LOL.  

Given the quality of entertainment on TLC maybe I can pitch a new TV show: "Hoarders: Audiophile/Headphone Enthusiasts Edition".  All kidding aside, I did see a video on You Tube a couple of months ago about an audiophile club (I think they were in Crete) that was crazy.  They spent so much money and built such ridiculous systems that they could have all bought houses or went on multiple trips around the world with the money.  The funny part was the expressions on all of their wives faces.  Sort of pissed and beaten down at the same time. Like they knew they were married to crazy people.

Edited: Found it! It was Greece  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs&noredirect=1

LOL, a headphone closet
tongue.gif

Yeah I've seen that too lol. I wonder if that was a wake up call to some of them. Probably not, but happiness is in the eye of the beholder. I hope those guys atleast let their spouses indulge in their own passions half as much as they do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back