Hello Everyone, Help a Noob
Mar 31, 2004 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

I Inhaled

New Head-Fier
Advised to post in this Category

Hello Everyone,

Well finding this wonderful forum is going to "Hurt the Wallet" as you Members put it
biggrin.gif

Due to my work schedule I have three things to do on my free time.

1) Play my Guitar
2) Play games on my PC
3) involves females
very_evil_smiley.gif

So, I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's and feel that I am not able to use them to the level they were designed for. My current sources are:

1) Prostar 8814 Notebook with AC 97 655 chipset.
2) Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis Preamp--> T.C. Electronics G-Force.

Applications:

1) PC Gaming with DirectX support.
2) Direct Monitoring from the G-Force.

Reading the posts on this forum, I see there are many setups for Headphones. Most of which you can not try in stores. Which to choose, Tube or Solid State, External DAC or PCM-CIA card, or stand alone Headphone Amp.
confused.gif

With the PC it is very important that the sound source can be Directx 8 or above compliant. Not require a lot of resources from the PC. The 1/8" jacks provide settings for: Line Out, Line In, Headphones Out.

For the Guitar,the Tri-Axis is a Tube Pre-Amp which I feel is a must for the Guitar. I want to monitor from the G-Force. It does have Balanced Outputs.Please read the specs to help match up to the Sennheiser HD-650's
G-Force Specs

It is not important to have both sources used at the same time but in a perfect world it would be nice. Not having to disconnect one for the other vice-versa.

Also I noticed the Sennheisers are 300 ohm
eek.gif

So Wise Ones, what is your advice, Tube or Solid State? External DAC or PCM-CIA Card? Stand Alone Headphone Amp?Best Bang for the Buck? How to get the most of the Senn's.

Looking in the price ranges of $400-$1200

Thank you in advance for all your help. Also, Thank you for a great forum with mature members. It is like a "A Breath of Fresh Air"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back