Hello Everyone, Help a noob
Mar 31, 2004 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

I Inhaled

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

Well finding this wonderful forum is going to "Hurt the Wallet" as you Members put it
biggrin.gif

Due to my work schedule I have three things to do on my free time.

1) Play my Guitar
2) Play games on my PC
3) involves females
very_evil_smiley.gif

So, I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's and feel that I am not able to use them to the level they were designed for. My current sources are:

1) Prostar 8814 Notebook with AC 97 655 chipset.
2) Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis Preamp--> T.C. Electronics G-Force.

Applications:

1) PC Gaming with DirectX support.
2) Direct Monitoring from the G-Force.

Reading the posts on this forum, I see there are many setups for Headphones. Most of which you can not try in stores. Which to choose, Tube or Solid State, External DAC or PCM-CIA card, or stand alone Headphone Amp.
confused.gif

With the PC it is very important that the sound source can be Directx 8 or above compliant. Not require a lot of resources from the PC. The 1/8" jacks provide settings for: Line Out, Line In, Headphones Out.

For the Guitar,the Tri-Axis is a Tube Pre-Amp which I feel is a must for the Guitar. I want to monitor from the G-Force. It does have Balanced Outputs.Please read the specs to help match up to the Sennheiser HD-650's
G-Force Specs

It is not important to have both sources used at the same time but in a perfect world it would be nice. Not having to disconnect one for the other vice-versa.

Also I noticed the Sennheisers are 300 ohm
eek.gif

So Wise Ones, what is your advice, Tube or Solid State? External DAC or PCM-CIA Card? Stand Alone Headphone Amp?Best Bang for the Buck?

Looking in the price ranges of $400-$1200

Thank you in advance for all your help. Also, Thank you for a great forum with mature members. It is like a "A Breath of Fresh Air"

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Welcome to Head-fi.

Remember to use the search. It occassionally works.
tongue.gif

I think you will be better served in the Sources forum.

That is your weakest link.

But since your goal is gaming, you should look into the status quo, the Audigy or Audigy 2. If you want the lease headaches that is. It may not be the best SQ, but it's the most compatible. Unlike certain older Creative cards....coughLive!cough....
wink.gif
But if you stick with a laptop, your choices will really be limited. Especially performance wise.

But contrary to what many here may tell you it is possible to have your cake and eat it too with PC Audio. When you are ready to plunge into a bit more higher end audio, you can still keep the Audigy 1 or 2.

Oh, and if you don't want to spend alot of money. Run now! Run while you can!
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 11
Edwood,

Thank you for the reply

The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX External USB might offer some source improvement for the Laptop. It is an option. Is something like this able to drive the Sennheiser HD-650 with it's Headphone out jack? If not, how about your opinion on a Stand Alone Headphone Amp. Do any Amps have both balanced and unbalanced inputs? As fas as SQ goes, the output from the G-Force for my Guitar is priority, gaming is second. I can see leaning towards a Tube Amp from the reading I have done from searches here on the Forum as well as my ears personal preference.

Thank you again Everyone

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by I Inhaled
Thank you again Everyone

Funny username.
biggrin.gif
At least we all know your not Bill Clinton.
wink.gif
BTW, welcome to Head-Hi, er I mean Head-Fi.
redface.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Glow Worm,

Thank you for the warm welcome ! I bet you can catch a lot of fish glowing like you do
cool.gif

Yes, I created this alias when that whole issue was going on at that time. Kinda my way of saying " Hey why lie, Just say it like it is"

Take care GW

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Hi. Welcome to headfi. Its good that you got the best headphone to start with, at least you'll not be upgrading that in a long while.

I recommend the Audigy 2 ZS for your PC soundcard, while not the best for audio, I think it is one the best for PC gaming.

For your amp, I think the best match for your PC source bang-for-the-buck wise is the Pimeta. I dont know anything about guitars, so I'll pass on that.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Tortie,

Thank you for the reply !

Is the Pimeta a Tube Amp? Does it have Balanced inputs as well? What is a good Tube Amp with Balanced Inputs?

Reading and searching on the site, How is the Singlepower MPX3 or PPX3-6SN7 compaired to the Pimeta?

Thank you.

P.S. Yes.. I like to build up a system, so every componet I try to get the best one time to only move forward not wish I had made another choice.

Apr 1, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 11
Hey I Inhaled, welcome to Head-Fi!
The Pimeta is definently a great amp for around $200, but for some reason I get the impression you have money to burn
smily_headphones1.gif
Since almost all headphone amps are made by DIYers (Do-It-Yourselfers if you havent run into the term yet), getting balanced hookups shouldn't be a problem, just request them. Also the PIMETA is SS BTW.

The SinglePower is an excellent amp from what I hear, and it features tubes which almost always sound better with guitars. Here's a linky to SinglePowers Site http://www.6sn7.com

Also be sure to check out http://www.eddiecurrent.com for the HD300, another great tube amp that some consider better than the Singlepower. The build time is about 6 weeks though so if your impatient it can be tough.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW check out the Moth Audio Si2A3, it's a big step up but you might be able to swing it. http://www.mothaudio.com
si2A3.jpg

If you're more of a solid state fan, the PPA is like a step up from a Pimeta and can be tailored from $350 to over $900 depending on your budget. Itzbitz is a great guy here on the forum and I can assure you he'll make you a great PPA if you go that route. http://audio.campcreations.com/
NDF04080.sized.jpg

Of all three the PPA in a Hammond case is the most portable, if you need battery powered ITZBITZ can design one for you, he also builds pimetas. When he built me my PPA it only took a week and a half so you aren't in libido very long
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope these comments help you, feel free to PM me if you need more information.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 11
I never thought I would see the day when someone would pimp a Si2A3 on a noob, kind of funny in a way. Your talking 2K for the amp, plus at least another $300 on quality tubes. Although I did see a used Si2A3 going for $1500 on Audiogon awhile back which is only $300 over your max. price range, but that's extremely rare. God bless you if you can swing it, at least you won't have to worry about upgrading to another amp any time soon. But you'll still need to come up with at least another grand to get a good high-end source to do the rest of your system any justice. Good luck on your decision.

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 11
High Flying,

thanks for the info ! Never hurts to know what is out there before you make a purchase. That Moth Audio Si2A3 is a beauty I must say. Are certain Amps geared towards certain ohm ratings of headphones? I also like the look of the Space-Tech Labs SE-6AS7G . Sometimes wood looks classy.

What is an ideal output wattage for the Sennheiser HD-650 being 300 ohms?

Is there a formula for wattage between Class "A" and Class "B" amps to compare the two? I am assuming Class"A" is better
confused.gif

Glow, my new friend, honest officer she asked me first before I got pimped and she got in the car
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back