Hello! Best headset for gaming/music?
Sep 2, 2013 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aurora-Storm

New Head-Fier
Hello! I've been doing research and asking around on tech forums (which were a beautiful help upgrading my busted GPU), but I thought the best place to go would be a high-fi lovers forum for the most accurate advice. Despite my love of sound I'm relatively new to terminology, so feel free to explain if I seem to be missing something.

Although I would prefer something wireless, there will be two wireless headphones for TV viewing in the house. Is this a problem? Sennheiser, three channels. I have NO idea whether or not their activity will mess with a wireless headset, and therein hinges the brunt of my decision regarding wired vs. wireless. IDEALLY, I would get wireless, since I hate being tethered to my desk, but it seems a) there might be interference and b) wireless seems to take a nosedive in audio quality no matter which way you slice it.

I game on PC and listen to music in equal measure; the quality of BOTH is important to me. I was hoping for a headset with:
- "Surround sound", at least 5.1 but am interested in 7.1 as well... may have to upgrade my sound card from on-board for this since my computer is 6+ years old (although I do have 6 analogue slots in the back and I've been told it should be capable of 5.1 at least, so I have no idea)
- As comfortable as possible since I'll be wearing them for long stretches of time (not too heavy, not tight enough to squeeze glasses arms into the side of my skull)
- Accuracy and clarity in both music and gaming, with preference for mids and highs over lows
- I am unsure whether I should be getting closed or open. Open allows ventilation, obviously, but sound would also leak (lowering quality?)

And, assuming wireless:
- A battery life that is at least 6hrs, since I easily spend that much time on here in a single session
- Quality that matches wired, if such a thing is possible with wireless.

I see that a lot of people are pointing out what kind of music they listen to - unfortunately my genres of interest are so mixed and varied that I can't really point to anything more specific than the fact I adore electronically-laced music, quality vocals, and violins... oh, god, violins. Accuracy and clarity are most important to me in terms of music - I want to be able to feel the resonance of the strings, pick out the lift and warble in a voice... and for gaming: ambience, vocals and environment are key. Explosions, not so much. I'm not looking to be physically jolted by frags or DnB, so bass that rattles the inside of my skull isn't necessary.
Great example of the bases I am looking to cover, musically speaking.
(Also can't resist Trifonic. Or stuff like this.)

There's a Sennheiser set (PC 363 D), and even a Razer set I was vaguely considering (Tiamat); however I realize that Razer leans toward dedicated gaming and might not give me the same quality in terms of music. Also, both are wired.

I am completely open to any suggestions: whether I should go for wired or wireless, what companies I should lean toward or avoid completely, and if it is even possible to get a headset that works equally for gaming AND music or if my expectations are unrealistically high. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Also, something I only just considered... I might be better off getting a dedicated gaming headset and shell out for good 2.1 speakers for my music later on. Hmn. Getting something that does both would be amazing, though.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Sound Blaster Z sound card, $80.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open (wired) headphones, $200.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your input PurpleAngel. I browsed the appreciation thread for these as well as some sound mag reviews and the official site. These look like they would be wonderful for my music! Unfortunately they are headphones as opposed to a headset, and I team game occasionally and also use voice-chat. If push comes to shove I can always ditch the headphones for my cheapy headset during team games, but that'd be kind of lame.

I also notice that the ATH-AD900X doesn't list anything for virtual surround sound (5.1/7.1) on their specs. Again, it looks gorgeous for my music, but I'm gunning for something with added immersion to my gaming as well.

Do you have experience with 5.1/7.1 headphones, and have you gamed with the ATH-AD900X at all? Lacking the virtual surround but having depth and accuracy, are they comparable experiences for gaming?

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for your input PurpleAngel. I browsed the appreciation thread for these as well as some sound mag reviews and the official site. These look like they would be wonderful for my music! Unfortunately they are headphones as opposed to a headset, and I team game occasionally and also use voice-chat. If push comes to shove I can always ditch the headphones for my cheapy headset during team games, but that'd be kind of lame.

I also notice that the ATH-AD900X doesn't list anything for virtual surround sound (5.1/7.1) on their specs. Again, it looks gorgeous for my music, but I'm gunning for something with added immersion to my gaming as well.

Do you have experience with 5.1/7.1 headphones, and have you gamed with the ATH-AD900X at all? Lacking the virtual surround but having depth and accuracy, are they comparable experiences for gaming?

Usually those gaming headsets with 6 speakers in each cup use really cheap diaphragms to keep the cost down.
Other "gaming headsets" are external USB sound cards with stereo headphones and a mic.
The SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) internal sound card does all the Headphone Surround Sound processing and sends it to a stereo headphones.
So any stereo headphones plugged into the SB-Z will become surround sound headphones.
It's $8-$20 to get an add-on mic.

Try asking a about PC headphone gaming in these threads.
See what they have to say about the SB-Z/ATH-AD900X combo
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 8
Been reading around more, and I see that I can get adhesive or clip-on mics (like modmic). That takes care of the headphones vs. headset problem. If anyone has suggestions for a user-friendly, quality added mic, please let me know. I'm still curious about virtual surround sound for my gaming.

Edit: whoops, just saw the new post. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those threads, I'll poke my nose around over there.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 8
Hello!

Too many wireless activity may affect the sound! I have tested the RS220, and they ones in awhile due to the signal. The sound will never scale up to wired headphones, it will only come close to it.

I am not certain about your budget, but for gaming and music, look into Sennheiser HD439 and HD598. Pretty good imaging for gaming. Otherwise, for closed, AKG K550 or PSB M4U1 both have great imaging

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi Billson, thanks for your reply. I looked into both Sennheiser models and I read up on the HD598 especially, it looks like it hits a lot of what I am looking for.

Thanks also for letting me know about wireless - I was already leaning away from it because of the decreased quality, but interference makes it a definite no-go. I have no control over when those wireless headphones are being used; I guess that I will need to purchase a very long cord for when I am lounging around and get used to taking them on/off repeatedly while I wander my space and the rest of the house.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi Billson, thanks for your reply. I looked into both Sennheiser models and I read up on the HD598 especially, it looks like it hits a lot of what I am looking for.

Thanks also for letting me know about wireless - I was already leaning away from it because of the decreased quality, but interference makes it a definite no-go. I have no control over when those wireless headphones are being used; I guess that I will need to purchase a very long cord for when I am lounging around and get used to taking them on/off repeatedly while I wander my space and the rest of the house.

Some wireless headphone can still be detected within 200~m range but of corse, the furthur you are, the higher the risk for the signal to get crushed with other wireless devices.

The HD598 have a 3m long cable

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back